• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you solve a problem like Jesse Ryder?

BeeGee

International Captain
Jesse Ryder Strains Black Caps Coach's Patience | Stuff.co.nz

So much talent trapped inside the body of a lazy, drunken lout.

What should NZ cricket do with him? It's obvious he won't do what they tell him to unless there's a huge threat associated with it. His attitude is just so bad for a professional sportsman and I doubt it will ever change.

With the success of Brownlie there's the opportunity for the selectors to drop him for a long period and say, "Recover from your injuries, lose weight, get fit and score some runs in domestic cricket. Do those things and we'll get you back in the Black caps."

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The trouble is, even with Brownlie's emergence, he's still one of the best three or four NZ bats.

Because NZ's need is greater he's given a lot more latitude than his fellow pie-enthusiast Sammy Patel, who Flower basically told to eff off and get fit(ter).

So, in conclusion, I dunno. :ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If New Zealand want a world class player then they have to kick him out of the side and be prepared to put up with lots of bull**** from the media. If they want yet another random but ultimately average player then keep picking him and turning a blind eye to his nonsense.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's worthless to us if we just keep blindly picking him well under fitness based on the hope he's done it before and might stay injury free, touch wood. We did that in 2011 and he averaged 12 in Test cricket.

I wouldn't be picking him for the Zimbabwe visit, full stop. Don't need him. I'd say to him if you're serious about this, get completely fit, take the opportunity to score domestic runs before then and if things are shaping up well you'll get picked for when SA turn up.

If you want to be an overweight lout that would rather down a box of piss than score an international hundred, then keep going about it. Screw what the media or anyone else might say, he's had enough chances and if they're smart they'd realise it too.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Do a Flower and tell him to get get fit or Eff off.

Flintoff was good to us when he reached a vague level of fitness and when he reached what was basically his peak he won a series for us. Point is Ryder's robbing himself of a really good career by not getting fit.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
You can't solve Ryder's problems for him, it's got to the point where he needs to sort his own **** out or get lost. Gotta be dropped, had enough of him in this state.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Recall him when India tour/tour India. He played seriously dumb cricket in the Aus series and average is nearly the wrong side of 40 anyhow.

Woodster

International Captain
It's got to be a dose of tough love for Jesse. A fitter Ryder is certainly good enough for a spot in this team, obviously, but he cannot persist with this worrying level of fitness. He needs to be told he has a future with NZ but not until he sorts his fitness problems out.

As NZ's middle order is looking promising at the moment he will feel as though he's an integral part of that and in a way undroppable, it's a shame it has come at this time, but NZ have to take a stand, he's letting himself and more importantly his teammates down with his reluctance to put in some hard yards, so it seems.

Only John Wright et al, will know the entire situation, from the outside looking in I would also take the Andy Flower stance and tell him to go back to domestic cricket and come back when he's proved he's fit enough for Test cricket. I suppose it's easier for Flower and England as Patel is not one of the outstanding batsmen in the country, while Ryder presumably is, but it would send out a statement that they expect their players to be athletes and not overly wobbly immitations.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think they're being a bit harsh on him here. A calf tear, you can't pin that on lack of fitness. You can't fix or strengthen it via exercise (if it was a grade 3 tear, he'd need surgery) so it stands to reason that it wasn't caused by exercise/lack of. It's a **** injury.

That said, he does himself no favours being in the shape he is. Every time he does anything other than score lots of runs, questions will be asked. It's a tough situation and arbitrarily dropping him because he's unfit would only work if the team's results improved without him. If they turf him and NZ aren't competitive in their next few series', a few runs and people will be baying for him to be recalled. So you'd have an smug and unfit bloke coming back into the team. I dunno if anyone has a strong solution for situations like this.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Think they're being a bit harsh on him here. A calf tear, you can't pin that on lack of fitness. You can't fix or strengthen it via exercise (if it was a grade 3 tear, he'd need surgery) so it stands to reason that it wasn't caused by exercise/lack of. It's a **** injury.

That said, he does himself no favours being in the shape he is. Every time he does anything other than score lots of runs, questions will be asked. It's a tough situation and arbitrarily dropping him because he's unfit would only work if the team's results improved without him. If they turf him and NZ aren't competitive in their next few series', a few runs and people will be baying for him to be recalled. So you'd have an smug and unfit bloke coming back into the team. I dunno if anyone has a strong solution for situations like this.
I'm sure his fitness issues are not just down to this calf tear, I'm sure they must have serious reservations about his condition anyway, and maybe now they're close to having had enough.

If they do turf him and are not competitive they will be many people baying for his re-selection and it does become a difficult situation, but they must stand firm on this if they take the stance that he is not fit enough. The media, etc, shouldn't turn on the selectors but a lazy Ryder for wasting his ample talent.

Mike5181

International Captain
Twelve months ago he looked like he'd lost a bit of weight but having seen him recently it looks as if he's gained it all back. It looks like he's not even trying which is the main problem. I wouldn't be totally against dropping him for a series or two and then hopefully we would get a solid 4-5 years out of a more motivated, disciplined guy. It's a shame because 3.Williamson, 4.Taylor, 5.Ryder etc was starting to sound really good.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
He needs to show that he can stay fit before he is considered for NZ again.

At least it sort of solves a problem with the current make up of the side.....
Guptill/McCullum/Williamson/Taylor/Brownlie/Vettori/Keeper/Bracewell/Southee/Boult/Martin