• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Players of Spin

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
rank your five, can be from any era...but u must have seen them bat...either in the ground or in television.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
rank your five, can be from any era...but u must have seen them bat...either in the ground or in television.
That curtails my options a bit, but I'll give it a shot.

1) Virender Sehwag
2) Brian Lara
3) Navjot Singh Sidhu
4) Mahela Jayawardene
5) Damien Martyn

JBMAC

State Captain
In no particular order:-
Norm O,Neill
Neil Harvey
Dean Jones
Michael Clarke
Lindsay Hassett

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Lara, Tendulkar, Flower, Jayawardene and Siddhu.

I might be missing out some obvious names.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Seen many great players of spin, but how many great players of great spin bowling? Ive seen many Indians dominate weak spinners in India, but only really seen a few innings where they played some great spinners REALLY well. Obviously Lara vs SL 2001, Sehwag v SL 201*, Sachin 155*and shocking to some (but to those who watched it) but Ricky Ponting played Murali as good as anyone in 1999 on extremely helpful spinning wickets, played him easily compared to the rest of the batsmen on that tour, but he really hasn't had many problems ever with Murali- the sign of a great player.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among those I have seen 'live':

1. Brian Lara
2. Javed Miandad
3. Mohammad Azharuddin
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Navjot Singh Sidhu

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Among those I have seen 'live':

1. Brian Lara
2. Javed Miandad
3. Mohammad Azharuddin
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Navjot Singh Sidhu
he doesn't deserve to be there anymore...
panesar (in 2006-7), paul harris (a few times), swann (at oval) have troubled him of late.

Spark

Global Moderator
When you're out of nick, you're out of nick - it doesn't matter what you're facing. He looked far more comfortable against Swann than he did against the trump pair of Anderson/Broad.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
When you're out of nick, you're out of nick - it doesn't matter what you're facing. He looked far more comfortable against Swann than he did against the trump pair of Anderson/Broad.
Yep...and came in Shane Warne's nightmares tbh :) ...has a very good record against Murali also (not as good as Lara though)

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Indian batsmen of the last 20 years should dominate this thread (besides some other greats obviously). All of Azhar, Sachin, Sidhu, Sourav and Sehwag were outstanding players of spin bowling; while Dravid and Laxman have been quite good too.

This is a jaw dropping stat: All spinners combinedly average 44.64 (!) against India in the last 20 years !!!

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Has there ever been a batting lineup in history which dominated spin bowlers consistently for such a long time? Add the small fact that both ATGs Warne and Murali have done all their bowling against India in the last 20 years, and this stat becomes jaw-dropping indeed !!!

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
surely Younis Khan has to be there, best batsman I have seen against Kumble in Indian conditions.