Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murali - Hero or Villain?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

Murali - Hero or Villain?

Murali - Hero or Villain?

As Murali prepares for one last hurrah in the forthcoming World Cup, Martin looks back at the controversy that has followed him throughout his career.
    Last edited by fredfertang; 13-01-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Ripping good read, Mr f.

Must admit I'm still very much an agnostic when it comes to Murali's action. An often overlooked point is that, notwithstanding his deformed elbow and preternaturally flexible wrist, sometimes his action "looks" worse than on other occasions. My suspicion is that when he does try to impart a little extra "fizz" on deliveries he gets exceedingly close to the tolerance threshold.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Great article. For me, the issue is as simple as this: if Murali throws, so does Glenn McGrath. And He does not throw. Argument over. The luddites can crow to their hearts content.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Great article, Martin.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Fantastic article.

Do you have any links to the findings of the 2004 study? There's an Aussie on another forum I'm on who's being a completely sore loser and insisting that Australia have won 6 World Cups, because they were "cheated" in 1992, and the 1996 win was invalid because "Murali chucks." I've tried the "McGrath was clocked at 12 degrees" argument, so far unsuccessfully.

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Fantastic article.

Do you have any links to the findings of the 2004 study? There's an Aussie on another forum I'm on who's being a completely sore loser and insisting that Australia have won 6 World Cups, because they were "cheated" in 1992, and the 1996 win was invalid because "Murali chucks." I've tried the "McGrath was clocked at 12 degrees" argument, so far unsuccessfully.
    How were they cheated?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    How were they cheated?
    Didn't win.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Great article. Sir Don's comments at the end were are amazing. Another reason, why he is the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Great article. Sir Don's comments at the end were are amazing. Another reason, why he is the greatest.
    This, and I liked the closing with Roebuck's comments.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Fantastic article.

I can't find the exact article, but here are a couple on the subject that allude to the results:
    Dubai stages summit meeting on suspect bowling actions | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
    Murali's redemption, and our arrogance | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Also get him to watch this:
    YouTube - Proof that Muttiah Muralitharan does not chuck

As that second link states about the video,
    They turned as you'd expect them to, though they were a bit slower - the weight of the brace would have accounted for that. Remarkably, despite the brace, it still appeared as though he was straightening his arm, even in the slow-motion replays - it was, clearly and uncontestably in this case, an optical illusion.
    There definitely used to be an article about it which pointed out that the only bowler tested at the Champions Trophy that didn't go over the allowed degree at the time was (IIRC) Ramnaresh Sarwan and his legbreaks. Just can't seem to find it.

Edit: Boom

ICC study reveals that 99% of bowlers throw
    Last edited by andyc; 13-01-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    I can't find the exact article, but here are a couple on the subject that allude to the results:
    Dubai stages summit meeting on suspect bowling actions | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
    Murali's redemption, and our arrogance | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Also get him to watch this:
    YouTube - Proof that Muttiah Muralitharan does not chuck

As that second link states about the video,

There definitely used to be an article about it which pointed out that the only bowler tested at the Champions Trophy that didn't go over the allowed degree at the time was (IIRC) Ramnaresh Sarwan and his legbreaks. Just can't seem to find it.

Edit: Boom

ICC study reveals that 99% of bowlers throw
    Sarwan - greatest bowler of all time? should be next for Martin..

BTW, Kumar Dharmasena was definitely not a left arm orthodox bowler.. Right Arm Offspin..
    Last edited by honestbharani; 13-01-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

It's interesting to see that those comments from Bradman came when Murali was just beginning to achieve greatness as a bowler.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Excellent article as ever from CW's finest
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post

BTW, Kumar Dharmasena was definitely not a left arm orthodox bowler.. Right Arm Offspin..
    I'd like to claim that was a deliberate mistake to see who was awake but sadly I can't - it just goes to show I should always check primary source material for accuracy!

Thanks for pointing it out

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Villain. Discuss

Good read mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information