Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graeme Hick - A Very English Enigma

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

Graeme Hick - A Very English Enigma

CW Features

In this feature we take a look at the career of Graeme Hick and try to work out why the man whose entrance to the international game was so eagerly anticipated, failed to match up to the nation's expectations

Interesting article.

I remember the tangible excitement of Hick making his début as if it was yesterday..

How time flies.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Yep it was so hyped and seems like yesterday.Flopped as dramatically as the kid who made his debut in the same series.Arguably the 2 most gifted English players in the last 20 years but neither had any bottle.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Good read, enjoyed. Was a big Hick fan and was very disappointed he never fully cracked it at the highest level. Personally I think the ridiculous number of times was a big reason he was never able to replicate his county form. Everytime he went out to bat he must have felt he was always one bad innings away from the drop. Tough conditions for anyone to perform in as regularly as he had to.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    CW Features

In this feature we take a look at the career of Graeme Hick and try to work out why the man whose entrance to the international game was so eagerly anticipated, failed to match up to the nation's expectations
    I this is your article it is most excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Good read, enjoyed. Was a big Hick fan and was very disappointed he never fully cracked it at the highest level. Personally I think the ridiculous number of times was a big reason he was never able to replicate his county form. Everytime he went out to bat he must have felt he was always one bad innings away from the drop. Tough conditions for anyone to perform in as regularly as he had to.
    All that could have been said about Ramprakash as well though tbf. My feeling at the time they were dropped was usually that it was a tough but fair call, given the competition for middle-order places though the 90s.

International 12th Man

MEENNNNNTTTALLLLLYYYYYY WEEEAAAAAKKKKK!!

Gotta love Big Merv.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    All that could have been said about Ramprakash as well though tbf. My feeling at the time they were dropped was usually that it was a tough but fair call, given the competition for middle-order places though the 90s.
    Absolutely, the same can be applied to Ramprakash, I think he suffered too due to the inconsistency of selection through this period. If these players could have been assured of continued selection while they found their feet, allowed to play their own free-flowing game without the fear of the chop after every innings, then I'm sure they would have gone some way to fulfilling their potential.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Seems strange though how Crawley had a better test record than both Hick and Ramps and was given far fewer chances though.Sums up the stupid regimes we had in charge through the 90's.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Absolutely, the same can be applied to Ramprakash, I think he suffered too due to the inconsistency of selection through this period. If these players could have been assured of continued selection while they found their feet, allowed to play their own free-flowing game without the fear of the chop after every innings, then I'm sure they would have gone some way to fulfilling their potential.
    Is it fair for anyone though, however talented, to be 'assured of continued selection?' Is that fair on others on the outside trying to force their way in, who may be in much better form? Fact was that with Stewart, Atherton and Thorpe usually an automatic pick, it wasn't possible for Hussain, Crawley, Hick and Ramprakash to play in the same side. Never mind the claims of fringe players such as Maynard, Maddy and Gallian.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Hick never had any luck look in the era he had to play test cricket in, against bowlers like
    Ambrose
    Wasim Akram
    Waqar Younis
    Walsh
    Ian Bishop
    Donald
    Pollock
    McGrath
    Gillespie
    Mcdermott
    Merv Hughes
    Kumble

All these bowlers where at the peak when Hick started playing.

International 12th Man
    McGrath was a fine bowler during the 90s but by no means did he peak until post 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post

Gotta love Big Merv.
    Yeah, it takes a really big man to hurl a truck-load of abuse at a guy who's just been dismissed. I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting Hick should have done in that particular scenario - maybe used his bat to relocate merv's dental faculties?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post

Gotta love Big Merv.

I must confess that one place I didn't bother to look when researching the feature was Merv's biography though I have looked at it now.

According to that at the Oval in 1993 when, finally, Hick got a few runs against Merv (he scored 80 and 36 and Merv didn't get him in either innings) dear old Merv was allegedly the first to congratulate him.

Merv's biographer also quotes Hick as saying that one of his greatest regrets in the game came when he had a bowl at Merv in that game - by all accounts Merv got a snick and was caught but didn't move and nor did the umpire's finger - Hicky desperately wanted to sledge him and knew he ought to but couldn't think what to say so said nothing.

Excellent article.

Hick seems to have been even more unfairly treated in his ODI career, where he was an excellent middle order bat. Or is his lack of ODI game time simply as a result of England not playing much ODI cricket until the late 90s?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information