0 0%
  • Beans on toast

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Football or Cricket

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar

Football or Cricket

I know we are on a cricket forum but with England virtually going out tonight it struck me I wasn't overly fussed as a test match starts tomorrow. I know we only have England and Australia fans who are involved in both the current world cup and cricket but other nations love both sports anyway.

So which sport do you prefer?

If asked I would easily say cricket every time, what about the rest of you?

Edging towards football recently.

Traditionally have normally gone for cricket, still think it is the greatest game but football gives me moments of emotion that cricket can't really get close to.

World Cup football beats everything though.
    watson likes this.

Would largely agree with what Pothas has said to be honest.

For me, by the time the season in either sport comes to an end, I've had enough of it for a while. So it's handy that the seasons do not really coincide.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Cricket as a sport it's so totally ahead, it's my safe-place, I love the tradition, the cosy feel of the stats going through the generations, the beautiful look of a cut field with all it's different backgrounds from Table Mountain to the wonderful village green. The intricacy of the play, the proper test between bat and ball. The way most people from crowds, players, and just general supporters deport themselves, it's classier and better. I will always vote cricket in these things.

Yet Football drags you in in a horribly disgusting way, and the big moments do get you quite horribly, but it's more a guilty feeling a bit like after a good ****. It's unwholesome.
    Jono likes this.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Grew up football mad and it was always my number 1 sport. I played at a decent level. Spent a number of years earning a crust coaching it but there is something about the game that is off and out of balance and it just doesn't work for me anymore. I actually find it pretty unwatchable now. So cricket I guess.
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-06-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach
    Football as a spectator sport, but I ended up getting a bit bored of playing it, I only play cricket these days apart from the odd 6-a-side, so cricket is my favourite sport to play.

It is reasonably close though as far as football > cricket as a spectator sport.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I have to say Football. I was born into it, my family has been heavily involved in it in a myriad of ways (playing, coaching, administration, etc), and growing up it was something that did (and does) dominate my discussions with my cousins and uncles. Cricket is a sport I love, but I adopted it and learned about it from a very young age. I'm one of few that actually watch it or follow it to the extent that I do in my family as most of them see it more of a sport that's good for the setting of a picnic.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Was cricket until I was 22.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Don't know if I was supposed to vote since I'm not from a soccer country but obviously cricket easily for me. I feel the subcontinent presence will sway this vote quite a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Tough one. I'm from the subcontinent and until I was around 17-18 I would have said football without a second thought. After that, though, my appreciation for test cricket has increased exponentially. The best test is probably the best sporting event for me, but there can be dead awful test matches which waste an entire week's time too.

I don't know, I'm leaning towards cricket because the last 2 years or so have had some amazing tests. Then again, by the end of this crazy world cup, I could flip the other way. Two best team sports either way though

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    They are both ****
    BoyBrumby likes this.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    I like Pothas' comment. The football World Cup is the most emotional sporting event on the planet, and nothing really rivals it with the possible exception of a closely fought Ashes series like 1981 or 2005.

However, given a Sunday run-off-the-mill weekend football match and an equivalent cricket match, then I would rather watch a cricket match any day. After all, watching the long-ball being hoofed into the penalty area by two mediocre football teams for 90 minutes is pretty insipid.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Don't know if I was supposed to vote since I'm not from a soccer country but obviously cricket easily for me. I feel the subcontinent presence will sway this vote quite a bit...
    That is why there are 2 other options as if I listed 20 sports i'd probably miss off one anyway. Obviously beans on toast was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    My country is **** at both
    Fix'd.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Fix'd.
    As depressed as I am about the World Cup exit, it's not that that makes me say football is ****. My club is ****.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information