• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
robben and van persie were worse then any spanish player and they had less provocation,
Do you mean the Robben that was clearly being pulled back by Puyol while charging through on goal in possession and did not go down denying Spain a certain red card?

EDIT: Also I think both the Dutch and the Spanish played a pretty hard brand of football in the final. Mentioned it before the Spanish were hardly angels, just the better of a poor bunch. I think Kweeks right in a sense, the media has seemed pretty biased against Holland, while fawning over the Spanish team because they have better technical ability. Doesn't quite seem right to me.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Invalid, you said you can't say one player is better than the other when they do different things in a game, which to me is like saying you can't say Cesc is a better player than Alex Song which is bollocks.
Nah you're taking what I'm saying into a different direction as I expected. Essien is class at what he does, same as Lampard is. As such it'd be hard to say who's the better player. Ferdinand's a better player than Eduardo and we're not comparing positions there but how good they are relative to it.

roseboy64

The Puyol/Robben incident makes a mockery of the idea that players should stay on their feet wherever possible. Can't say I blame any player for going down a bit easily when the alternative is for the referee to ignore an obvious foul.

Secondly, there is a difference between being physical and simply kicking **** out of the opposition. The Dutch didn't cross the line, they were so far over the line it's untrue.
That son is what they call playing advantage.

Agree on the second part.

roseboy64

Do you mean the Robben that was clearly being pulled back by Puyol while charging through on goal in possession and did not go down denying Spain a certain red card?

EDIT: Also I think both the Dutch and the Spanish played a pretty hard brand of football in the final. Mentioned it before the Spanish were hardly angels, just the better of a poor bunch. I think Kweeks right in a sense, the media has seemed pretty biased against Holland, while fawning over the Spanish team because they have better technical ability. Doesn't quite seem right to me.
Nah the Dutch were far worse. Sure Spain put in a few tough/late tackles but Netherlands' count was in double figures.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Nah the Dutch were far worse. Sure Spain put in a few tough/late tackles but Netherlands' count was in double figures.
Nah nah, that's misleading.
A lot of the fouls that Netherlands committed weren't really fouls, Spain were just going down way to easy and Webb loved blowing the whistle.

I agree with Ausage and Kweek, the media has made it out to be worse than it was. Half of Netherlands yellows were either very harsh, or down to Spanish theatrics. Yeah, Netherlands were a bit more aggressive than Spain, but only a little bit, Spain got away with a lot of stuff that the Netherlands didn't because of theatrics, or just plain inconsistency.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Puyol had to go whether you play the advantage or not, IMO. I don't think you're allowed to bring play back to give a red though. I suppose that would make a free kick and straight red the only right decision.

It's amazing that he stayed on the pitch after that.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Cruyff's a stupif **** TBH. There was a time when his views were the gospel to all Dutch football fans and media, but these days he's more seen as an eccentric (at best) or a manipulator pushing his own agenda (at worst). His relentless condemning of everything that doesn't fit his philosophy is quite tiresome.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Cruyff's a stupif **** TBH. There was a time when his views were the gospel to all Dutch football fans and media, but these days he's more seen as an eccentric (at best) or a manipulator pushing his own agenda (at worst). His relentless condemning of everything that doesn't fit his philosophy is quite tiresome.
Agree, and this view is widely spread in the Dutch people, we tend to not take him so serious anymore.

He is the guy that said Ajax youth system is horrible and should be totally remodelled.
This is the youth system that brought the world so many great players and in the current Ajax team there are some real big gems as well...Stekelenburg was the 2nd best keeper at the WC, van der Wiel showed glimses of being great, Eriksen is only 18 and already played for Denmark during the WC(been at Ajax since 15) and was a revelation in the Dutch Eredivise last year.
not to forget Sneijder & van der Vaart

roseboy64

Nah nah, that's misleading.
A lot of the fouls that Netherlands committed weren't really fouls, Spain were just going down way to easy and Webb loved blowing the whistle.

I agree with Ausage and Kweek, the media has made it out to be worse than it was. Half of Netherlands yellows were either very harsh, or down to Spanish theatrics. Yeah, Netherlands were a bit more aggressive than Spain, but only a little bit, Spain got away with a lot of stuff that the Netherlands didn't because of theatrics, or just plain inconsistency.
I used my own eyes and the views of generally impartial folk not the media. I've barely read about it in the media. Webb blowed the whistle because they were usually FK worthy fouls. What exactly did Spain get away with?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He got past the defence and was 1 on 1 with the keeper. The ref played advantage as he'd gained an advantageous position. He missed and that's that.
If he'd played advantage Puyol would have been booked afterwards, you're just wrong

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As far as I'm aware, a referee can't bring play back and red card someone. They're supposed to leave the field immediately after committing the offence. He can't really play the advantage and then book Puyol for an obvious red card offence either. He'd kinda be making up the rules as he goes along.

I suspect Webb was just taking a common sense approach and overlooking the incident completely, on the grounds that it was the option Holland would have preferred with Robben clean through on goal. You'd have to bend the framework of the rules a little too much to do anything else besides giving an immediate free kick and red card, which caused a lot of hassle to the ref who sent of Jens Lehmann in another high-profile final. I can't believe that he would have simply failed to see such an obvious foul.

Last edited: