• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Quarter Final - Australia v Pakistan (20th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran was past it in 1992 and inzi hadn't become that good.
Yeah Inzi was useless in that game & also the final. Not sure why they even bothered playing him. What a waste of time. :ph34r:

Was that just to disagree for the sake of it?

I mean the young Inzi clearly 'had become that good', otherwise he wouldn't have played one of the most freakish against the run of play innings in WC history.

Obviously Imran was past his very best, but he was still an ATG, still top scored in the final & was about as inspirational as a skipper as one could imagine.

Seriously how anyone would argue against them having 4 ATGs in that side is pedantic at best.

Last edited:

morgieb

You're living in the past if you think Pakistan have that sort of potential these days.

I get how lots of people like drawing parallels to 1992 since Pakistan also had a slow start then. But in 1992, they had arguably 4 ATG players in Imran, Wasim, Miandad & a young Inzamam. Who of that sort of potential do they have today?
Yeah, the dangerous on their day meme needs to die. Their batting does not have any X-factor, and their bowling isn't what it was back in the Wasim/Waqar/Saqlain days.

Xuhaib

International Coach
People are either under rating or overrating us. We are an okish side which has been most hampered by injuries and bans (now irfan is out aswell) if this side performs collectivley they can win however there needs to be 7-8 guys that need to fire together to have anychance of getting past aussies.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Sup folks, I'm rooting for the aussies but wouldn't mind seeing them beat - it's boring to see us stomp everyone at home

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah Inzi was useless in that game & also the final. Not sure why they even bothered playing him. What a waste of time. :ph34r:

Was that just to disagree for the sake of it?

I mean the young Inzi clearly 'had become that good', otherwise he wouldn't have played one of the most freakish against the run of play innings in WC history.

Obviously Imran was past his very best, but he was still an ATG, still top scored in the final & was about as inspirational as a skipper as one could imagine.

Seriously how anyone would argue against them having 4 ATGs in that side is pedantic at best.
I am not referring to that one sf game. Inzy had perhaps 3 decent games with one really good that likicked out the kiwis but inzy was by no means an atg at that time. youre perhaps the only one who thinks that inzy was an Atg since the day he debuTed. Sure imran was an atg but he was past it. he was a great captain but his maun suite his bowling wasnt close to being great. I don't see whats so difficult to see. Its like saying that if Pakistan win this wowc and rahat has a great wc then people start saying that oh Rahat was an ATG in that Pakistan team. That's just downright stupid

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Pakistan beat the Aussies without Junaid, Gul, Ajmal, and Irrfan, then I am gonna change my avatar to Misbah's for the SF against India.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, smali is right here. Inzi was a talented rook in '92. He debuted in 91 and had one 50 across the WC ffs. He played two amazing cameos in the semi and final and full credit to him but no way was he a great then.

This 4 ATG thing is extremely revisionist. Miandad was very good made excellent by the fact that the low-scoring, high value for 60 (95) atmosphere of the WC suited him ideally, Imran was solid though past his peak, Wasim was an ATG and Inzi was a talented rookie.

What won Pakistan that WC is that this core of players came together and all turned up in the crucial games.

harsh.ag

Agree with smali on Inzi. The other three are debatable. Yes, Inzi played some special knocks, but that doesn't make him an ATG player. That's putting the cart before the horse.

About Imran, the thing was that even in his last few lean years of bowling, he would still pick up his game when it mattered the most, as evidenced by the fact that in the 88 and 89 Windies series away and at home, he picked up 27 wickets in 6 games at 17.40 while striking at 33.

Crazy mofo.

Zinzan

I am not referring to that one sf game. Inzy had perhaps 3 decent games with one really good that likicked out the kiwis but inzy was by no means an atg at that time. youre perhaps the only one who thinks that inzy was an Atg since the day he debuTed. Sure imran was an atg but he was past it. he was a great captain but his maun suite his bowling wasnt close to being great. I don't see whats so difficult to see. Its like saying that if Pakistan win this wowc and rahat has a great wc then people start saying that oh Rahat was an ATG in that Pakistan team. That's just downright stupid
We can debate whether Inzi was in fact an ATG in ODIs & I'm happy enough to concede he's wasn't quite that. But my greater point is I don't see the equivalent of a Wasim, a Miandad, an Imran or even a young Inzi in this current Pakistan side.

Even forgetting about the '92 side for a moment, I've seen so many other Pakistan sides over the years just steaming with potential and natural ability, even when they were under-performing, but I just don't see that with this current team.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Aamer Sohail, Rameez Raja, Salim Malik etc were decent batamen too in 92. This world cup, there is simply not enough quality in Pakistan batting line up. Ireland have a much better batting unit.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

He is a quality slogger and I will have an avatar bet with anyone that he scores 30 or more runs in the quarterfinal.

Edit (for one month)
I am with Hurricane on this. If Pakistan has to win this match, Afridi will have to pull off his pyrotechnics and hit a quick >30+ score. Otherwise, they are not winning it.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Aamer Sohail, Rameez Raja, Salim Malik etc were decent batamen too in 92. This world cup, there is simply not enough quality in Pakistan batting line up. Ireland have a much better batting unit.
Yup and don't forget Ijaz Ahmed as well who was a pretty doughty competitor.
The current Pakistan side is not as talented as that one - a repeat of 1992 won't happen.

viriya

International Captain
Crazy that Aus are 36% to win the whole thing right now compared to SA's 25% on Betfair when you consider that Aus have to win 3 more games and SA only 2.

harsh.ag

Bing thinks West Indies has a bigger chance of beating the Kiwis than do Pakistan of beating the Aussies.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder if Yasir Shah will play tomorrow? I think it will come across as a bit of a gamble, but think he would do well.