• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Quarter Final - Australia v Pakistan (20th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

I think we've reached Peak Craddock

Which is to say, the above article is basically a piece of crap that attempts to relate something that is happening in modern Australian cricket, good or bad, with "events" that happened within in the Australian team during the the 70's and 80's, or during the Queensland team of the 90's, featuring classic characters like Rod Marsh, Dennis Lillee, the Chappell brothers, David Boon, Merv Hughes, Stuart Law and of course, Alan Border. well **** Craddock and **** shane warne. Mitch Starc was one of the best LO bowlers in the world before Shane Warne's stupid comments and he's one of the best LO bowlers in the world after Warne's stupid comments. It's had no impact on Starc coz he's a ****ing unbelievable bowler in LO cricket. Shane Warne is the rock, and if you think Warne has inspired Starc to greater heights, then you are Homer Simpson. god he writes some ****ing horrid ****.
Yeah, the reverse-engineering of some sort of perceived cause and effect between Warne's comments and Starc's one-day bowling has been one of the dumbest things I've heard this summer. Nothing Warne said made any difference to how Starc was, and still is, bowling in ODIs.

As for this game, I hope we come up against bad Pakistan, not good Pakistan.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the difference between previous Pak sides and this Pak side is that even if you run into the "good Pakistan" as people put it, even that might not be enough to overcome Australia. This is easily one of the weakest Pakistani teams ever. Junaid Khan was a massive loss for Pak. Pakistan would have to just play the game at 100% and at the same time hope Australia play 50% well to get a win.

Flem274*

123/5
If Pakistan can break through to the Australian icing before the cake wins the game, Pakistan win. Their bowling and bottle cap use (balls don't reverse swing before they're 25 overs old in Oceania like they did last night without some help boys) will be too good.

anil1405

International Captain
Alright, now the teams have officially entered what I would like to call as the 'Australian comfort zone'.

Australian team tends to strive under pressure and that would be an added advantage to them. More than the fact that they are playing at home, its this factor that counts more. Lets see if there is a team that can stand up to the Aussies and take them down.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Australia to coast this. I think pak have the bowling to be competitive. But amongst their batsman only shehzad and Afridi are realistically capable of scoring 80 plus without it being a fluke, By the way CW doesn't seem to rate Afridi but he is capable of turning up in any match and is a fantastic asset to have in the number 8 spot. The best number 8 in the world for my money with apologies to whoever Aussie throw into that spot (Haddin or Faulkner probably).

The_Bunny

State Regular
He may be the most valuable in the number 8 spot due to his bowling and occasional match turning innings, but no way is he a better bat than Faulkner or Haddin

Antihippy

International Debutant
The australian bowlers are too good to bowl rank low full tosses so I find it hard to see how they'll be able to get afridi out.

Flem274*

123/5
Australia to coast this. I think pak have the bowling to be competitive. But amongst their batsman only shehzad and Afridi are realistically capable of scoring 80 plus without it being a fluke, By the way CW doesn't seem to rate Afridi but he is capable of turning up in any match and is a fantastic asset to have in the number 8 spot. The best number 8 in the world for my money with apologies to whoever Aussie throw into that spot (Haddin or Faulkner probably).
misbah?
The australian bowlers are too good to bowl rank low full tosses so I find it hard to see how they'll be able to get afridi out.
nah bloke can smash anything. if it's that one in twenty day where he goes big you just swear loudly and get rid of the other end.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

He is a quality slogger and I will have an avatar bet with anyone that he scores 30 or more runs in the quarterfinal.

Edit (for one month)

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan's bowling isn't all that anyway. Sure it's better than their batting and probably their main strength, but there are definitely better bowling units in the World Cup. I don't really see them hurting us too much.

Daemon

He is a quality slogger and I will have an avatar bet with anyone that he scores 30 or more runs in the quarterfinal.

Edit (for one month)
You're on. Will change only after India are knocked out or WC is over though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You're on. Will change only after India are knocked out or WC is over though.
Done. One minor clarification rule
if he doesn't get a proper bat because pak top order bats well and he faces less than 10 balls then the bet is void (and he is not out)

tatsuro185

Cricket Spectator
Paks bowlers are going to have be in their best form this match, i really don't see Pakistan posting a high total or chasing anything near 300 tbh. The only way to get Aus under 300 is to bowl them out or near enough, i don't see that battling lineup being restricted without regular wickets. That being said, i have a fear a good old fashioned Australian coLOLapse could occur.

Zinzan

Pakistan on their day can obliterate Australia even if Australia are at home.
You're living in the past if you think Pakistan have that sort of potential these days.

I get how lots of people like drawing parallels to 1992 since Pakistan also had a slow start then. But in 1992, they had arguably 4 ATG players in Imran, Wasim, Miandad & a young Inzamam. Who of that sort of potential do they have today?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Lol @ viriya voting for pakistan. doesn't he write off pakistan in every game this world cup :laugh :