• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely strikes as being a genuinely good fella. Always felt this photo following the Peshawar school massacre illustrates the humane nature of the bloke perfectly

Yeah Younis does seem a very decent bloke. Pretty modest and self-effacing.

Mind you, that kid would be horribly disappointed to be getting a Kane Williamson shirt.

Burgey

I meany you go through something as horrible as that, you'd probably want a local hero's shirt wouldn't you?

A mate of mine was diagnosed with leukaemia when he was a kid. He was in the kids' hospital at Camperdown and was (still is) a mad Parra fan. One day all the Parra blokes cameinto the ward and gave him footies and jumpers signed by the team, then got him and a few of his mates when they were healthier to come to training and played footy with them.

Don't get me wrong, Younis' gesture is wonderful, but if Sterlo had have turned up at my mate's hospital bed and brought him a Steve Mortimer (or, in a better comparison to Kane Williamson, the reserve grade half back from Souths) jumper, he probably would have been pretty pissed off.

Burgey

IKR. It's not Younis' fault. The PCB or whoever should have provided the Great Man with some decent kit to hand out. That looks like some official has grabbed it from their pool room before they had time to get it framed and were happy to hand it to him in order to get rid of it to save them the embarrassment of having to hang it up at home in case some bloke from the NZCB came for a visit.

Zinzan

IKR. It's not Younis' fault. The PCB or whoever should have provided the Great Man with some decent kit to hand out. .
Truth be told, it was provided by the 'Great man' KW himself personally to Younis ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah makes sense.

Kohli is "the King"
KW is "the Great One"
Smith is "the tWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHt"

Someone think of a name for Root that isn't a pun on his name being "Root"

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No, Younuss is obviously different from Younus.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the "s" sound, I was trying to illustrate the vowel sound I was talking about but I don't think I succeeded. In England, "kit" and "cut" sound very different. In NZ, they sound very much more similar. By "Youniss" I meant to illustrate the "i" sound from "kit", and by "Younuss" the "u" in "cut".

Not really. Others are just not as good at hearing the difference between the short vowels we use. Particularly americans.
That's fine, but you yourself said that in NZ English, Younis and Younus are pronounced the same way. That's all that we're talking about here.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the "s" sound, I was trying to illustrate the vowel sound I was talking about but I don't think I succeeded. In England, "kit" and "cut" sound very different. In NZ, they sound very much more similar. By "Youniss" I meant to illustrate the "i" sound from "kit", and by "Younuss" the "u" in "cut".

That's fine, but you yourself said that in NZ English, Younis and Younus are pronounced the same way. That's all that we're talking about here.
Cut and kit in NZ do not sound at all similar. We're quite capable of differentiating between cuss and kiss.

I know you weren't talking about the s. I used Younuss because that's the only way of spelling it to make the uh sound, at least to my eyes when I read it.

Harris and momentous have the same short I sound at the end, despite being spelt differently in some accents.

When I see Younus I'm going to say it like kiss, rather than like cuss.

If it's meant to be said like cuss, then I'm wrong.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Actually some English people would say momentous differently I suppose.

Ooh-ss.

Uh-ss

Ih-ss.

Ok Ramiz says it ih-ss. That's how I would say it.

If David Lloyd saw it Younus maybe he would say it you-nooh-ss.