• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is there really an argument anymore for Yousuf and Inzy ahead of Younis? I really don't think there is.

Also what's with Younis now being Younus? Subcontinental people randomly changing the spelling of their name mid-career is the worst thing, lol

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Is there really an argument anymore for Yousuf and Inzy ahead of Younis? I really don't think there is.

Also what's with Younis now being Younus? Subcontinental people randomly changing the spelling of their name mid-career is the worst thing, lol
یونس

(from right to left) that's literally y/e/i (same letter) followed by oo followed by n followed by s. I.e. it really doesn't matter how you spell it in English cos you're gonna say it the same anyway. Nite Night etc. Mohammed muhammad. Same thing.

I think Inzy may have a claim but definitely not MoYo

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Aren't we touring them soon?
The upcoming series will be a home series in UAE. Someone mentioned they might be touring West Indies next summer. Whether he will play in that series or not will depend on his Australian tour later this year. A lot of well settled teams disintegrate in Australia.

A great batsman and one whom I admire greatly. Most of his knocks have come under pressure situations where he has had to rebuild the innings after another top-order collapse. Under appreciated because Pak don't play much in iconic places such as England and Australia. If he performs in the upcoming tours down under, I think he will get the recognition shared by the likes of Dravid, Kallis and Sangakarra.

I don't know if this is still the case, but remember reading a stat a year ago that he is the only batsman to avg 50+ in each innings of a Test match.
This pretty much. Unfortunately for him, his crazy run scoring spree coincided post 2010 when Pakistan faced some sort of isolation from the major teams, not playing there in 6 years.
I can still see him struggling in Australia this year. Had Pakistan toured Australia between 2012-2014, that would have been vintage YK at his very best.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
یونس

(from right to left) that's literally y/e/i (same letter) followed by oo followed by n followed by s. I.e. it really doesn't matter how you spell it in English cos you're gonna say it the same anyway. Nite Night etc. Mohammed muhammad. Same thing.

Interestingly, if we were to spell it "Youns" in English the way it is in arabic/urdu the natural tendency would be to convert the "s" sound to "z", as we do in "brooms" (along with connecting the consonants together).

When I first started learning the arabic script it seemed so deficient to only have 3 vowels but then when you critically analyse your own language you realise all sorts of natural rules that just sorta happen - hence why it's such a task to get computer voices to say words properly.

tl;dr linguistics is cool.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Remember Ijaz Ahmed, the wood chopper who batted three for Pakistan in the 90s? Just randomly popped into my head there as a bloke I always rated from Pakistan. Not saying he's in this company, but he was a very good player IMO.

smash84

The Tiger King
یونس

I am impress.

Indeed the correct spelling would be younus.

DriveClub

International Regular
Interestingly, if we were to spell it "Youns" in English the way it is in arabic/urdu the natural tendency would be to convert the "s" sound to "z", as we do in "brooms" (along with connecting the consonants together).

When I first started learning the arabic script it seemed so deficient to only have 3 vowels but then when you critically analyse your own language you realise all sorts of natural rules that just sorta happen - hence why it's such a task to get computer voices to say words properly.

tl;dr linguistics is cool.
Ok pal, thats enough internet for you today, time to concentrate at work, they ain't paying you for forumming

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It depends on how we are debating him, if its purely on his test career, an all time great with only one or two Pakistanis on his level, however if we are factoring in his ODI form then it somewhat lessens his legacy sadly. He was an absolute spud in the format, who played politics in the press and had massive moans when he was dropped which in most occasions were always justified.

His knock v India in 2011 was the reason Pakistan lost the semi final, killed the momentum of the innings stone cold dead.

I suspect that no matter what he achieves in the rest of his test career, his dire ODI career will always gnaw away at him, whether we on this forum like it not, test cricket for the majority of Pakistani cricket fans is not the pinnacle.
Absolutely correct. This is also a major reason for his anger and frustration over the years. He used to mention a particular instance in 06 when he and Yousuf were in a fantastic century partnership (where he got 199) and the crowd were asking them to get out so they could watch Afridi bat.
So here's the thing, will he ever be given the accolade befitting one of the greatest batsmen the country has produced? No in his own country. No, because test cricket is not the pinnacle as you right pointed out. Afridi is considered the greatest cricketer of the post Wasim-Waqar era among the fans. A World Cup win is the pinnacle but funnily enough, YK did lead Pakistan to it's more recent World Cup win but Afridi gets all the credit for it :laugh:

A good tour down under will secure him a place along side Sanga,Dravid and Kallis. I think he has slightly gone ahead of Clarke, Inzi and Mahela.
I think there are two conversations to be had. One is between Cricket analysts, former players, his peers, journalists, esteemed CW members and the other in his own country. The former conversation will always laud him as a modern great on par with Sanga, Dravid, Kallis if he has a good tour down under this year. The latter won't care. Afridi is king :p

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember Ijaz Ahmed, the wood chopper who batted three for Pakistan in the 90s? Just randomly popped into my head there as a bloke I always rated from Pakistan. Not saying he's in this company, but he was a very good player IMO.
He probably has the best record against Australia among Pak batsmen :laugh:

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
یونس

Doesn't answer why it changed mid-career though?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Have seen "Younus" on and off before as well..The earliest I can remember seeing Younus was in 05-06. I think it's got as much to do with broadcaster inconsistency as anything else.