• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Test XI from your country

Blaze 18

Banned
You mean shiv sunder das?? What about Hrishikesh Kanitkar???
Yeah, that's him. Kanitkar might be worth a mention. I didn't mention him because I took a liking to him ever since that Dhaka match, where he hit a last ball four against Saqlain to help India chase what was then the highest score in ODIs IIRC :p

Isura

U19 Captain
Hard time topping these all stars. All have test caps.

Michael Vandort
Avishka Gunawardene
Jehan Mubarak
Russell Arnold
Chamara Silva
Prasanna Jawardene
Farveez Maharoof
Kumar Dharmasena
Pramoda Wichramasinghe
Kumara Pushpakamara

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For India-
  • Ghulam Parkar
  • Deep Dasgupta (WK)
  • Maharaj of Vizianagaram (C)
  • Hrishikesh Kanitkar
  • Vijay Bharadwaj (OB)
  • MSK Prasad (WK)
  • Parthiv Patel (WK)
  • Noel David (OB)
  • David Johnson (RM)
  • Paras Mhambrey (RM)
  • Jaidev Unadkat (LM)
I included Ghulam Parkar as he was Sunil Gavaskar's wild choice to open the innings in that one Test, which many felt was ill-deserved. Yes, there are three wicketkeepers, whom I had chosen because there was this more recent belief that wicketkeepers should have some batting ability- and none of these had any ability before or behind the stumps. You'd hardly find batsmen who were undeserving of their places in the Indian team.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the worst ever India XI comes from the pre-Independence teams, when players rarely made the team on merit.

chicane

State Captain
^ Haha premature mentioning Unadkat but would include most of the others in my worst India team too. Noel David! Forgot about him! EDIT: He didn't get a test cap. Would replace him with Dodda Ganesh or Nilesh Kulkarni.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
sanjay bangar as a opener?

Salil Ankola? Subroto Banerjee?Harvinder Singh? VRV Singh?Tinu Yohannan?Vivek Razdan?MSK Prasad?Atul Wassan?
To name a few.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, that's him. Kanitkar might be worth a mention. I didn't mention him because I took a liking to him ever since that Dhaka match, where he hit a last ball four against Saqlain to help India chase what was then the highest score in ODIs IIRC :p
lol...........true.........that was such a gun match........absolutely couldn't believe that India had chased such a huge score.........

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
For India-
  • Ghulam Parkar
  • Deep Dasgupta (WK)
  • Hrishikesh Kanitkar
  • Vijay Bharadwaj (OB)
  • MSK Prasad (WK)
  • Parthiv Patel (WK)
  • Noel David (OB)
  • David Johnson (RM)
  • Paras Mhambrey (RM)
  • Jaidev Unadkat (LM)
I included Ghulam Parkar as he was Sunil Gavaskar's wild choice to open the innings in that one Test, which many felt was ill-deserved. Yes, there are three wicketkeepers, whom I had chosen because there was this more recent belief that wicketkeepers should have some batting ability- and none of these had any ability before or behind the stumps. You'd hardly find batsmen who were undeserving of their places in the Indian team.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the worst ever India XI comes from the pre-Independence teams, when players rarely made the team on merit.
In place of parthiv, I would include jacob martin, rest I agree

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kanitkar became a real cult hero after that. Played around 50 odd ODIs, basically on the strength of that one boundary. :laugh:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For India-
  • Ghulam Parkar
  • Deep Dasgupta (WK)
  • Hrishikesh Kanitkar
  • Vijay Bharadwaj (OB)
  • MSK Prasad (WK)
  • Parthiv Patel (WK)
  • Noel David (OB)
  • David Johnson (RM)
  • Paras Mhambrey (RM)
  • Jaidev Unadkat (LM)

That's a quality team. I mean, some quality rubbish in there.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
sanjay bangar as a opener?

Salil Ankola? Subroto Banerjee?Harvinder Singh? VRV Singh?Tinu Yohannan?Vivek Razdan?MSK Prasad?Atul Wassan?
To name a few.
Sanjay Bangar was fine, not terrible, did a job in a limited capacity but got little to play with. The rest are either average or unlucky, and could have done their bit.
In place of parthiv, I would include jacob martin, rest I agree
Jacob Martin never got a Test cap. In that respect, my choice of Noel David was incorrect, but he was a strong contender for a Test cap. Until someone asked that question.

My selection wasn't just that of mediocre or less impressive cricketers, but blokes who largely didn't deserve to be in the side. Parthiv Patel didn't deserve to be there, as his keeping was poor and batting not good enough even for ODIs- which is why Rahul Dravid was stuck with oversized gloves and pads behind the stumps. Proper wicketkeepers like Mongia, Ratra and Vinayak Samant were denied their places in the side, and even Pankaj Dharmani, the then best wicketkeeper-batsman, was excluded. There's no way Noel David, David Johnson or MSK Prasad (or Dodda Ganesh) deserved to be in the team ahead of Bahutule, Kulkarni, Kuruvilla and Dighe, top Mumbai players who made that team a formidable unit in domestic cricket. But the selectors wanted the team to be more cosmopolitan.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a quality team. I mean, some quality rubbish in there.
It could get much worse- look at most pre-Independence Indian teams. I often thought there was a link between independence and the first victory. My father said that those old teams were never picked on merit.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Any Australian XI would surely have to have Kenny Burn behind the stumps.

Wisden of the time termed his selection as wicketkeeper the one serious mistake in making up the side for the 1890 Ashes tour of England, and described how only when he had accepted the terms offered him and joined the ship at Adelaide was the discovery made that he had never kept wicket in his life.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So much to choose from....
1. Blair Hartland
2. Michael Papps (remarkably has a worse record than Darrin Murray or Blair Pocock)
3. Richard Jones
4. Murray Parker
5. Peter Webb
6.Paul McEwean
7. Lee Germon (c)
8. Brooke Walker
9. Robert Kennedy
10. David Sewell
11. Murray Webb

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So much to choose from....
1. Blair Hartland
2. Michael Papps (remarkably has a worse record than Darrin Murray or Blair Pocock)
3. Richard Jones
4. Murray Parker
5. Peter Webb
6.Paul McEwean
7. Lee Germon (c)
8. Brooke Walker
9. Robert Kennedy
10. David Sewell
11. Murray Webb
Jock Edwards would be the first name on my NZ version of this - though I suspect he may be a bit of an "Eddie the Eagle" type folk hero

Flem274*

123/5
Harsh on Papps and Jones imo. Papps is a quality domestic player and Jones only got one test, and managed an ODI stint that wasn't terrible.

Blair Pocock couldn't average over 30 in FC and played 15 tests. I'd pick him.

James Marshall should also be around the team imo.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh on Papps and Jones imo. Papps is a quality domestic player and Jones only got one test, and managed an ODI stint that wasn't terrible.
I don't know if you had noticed, but the thread title isn't "Worst Test XI made up of guys who were quality domestic players and didn't go terrible in ODI stints from your country".