• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Test XI from your country

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never understood the Darren Pattinson hate.. He was arguably the best England bowler throughout the entirity of his test career.

If its because he is an Aussie, I don't understand that either based on the makeup of the current squad..
I agree. I suppose there was a sense that his selection was not backed up by a whole lot of planning or evidence. I remember Richard being particularly scornful of his selection - make of that what you will.
I think part of the supposed scorn for Pattinson was because, aside from his undeniable Ockerishness, he was perceived as the worst kind of arriviste having played about 6 FC games in Blighty before being catapulted into the test side.

No fault of his, as it was our selectors using the letter rather than the spirit of the eligibility rules (as he was born in Grimsby he was qualified from birth, regardless of upbringing), but I think among the players their might have been a resentment that he hadn't "paid his dues". Say whatever you like about Pietersen, Trott or Morgan (and plenty have), but each had to play in England for 4 years before being able to take the Queen's shilling.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From The Full Toss blog:

1. Tim Curtis
2. Martin Moxon
3. Ed Smith
4. Darren Maddy
5. Usman Afzaal
6. Aftab Habib
7. Geraint Jones
8. Min Patel
9. Alan Igglesden
10. Mike Smith
11. Darren Pattinson

Twelfth Man: Martin McCague

Not bad. A bit tough on GoJo, perhaps, but his keeping was pretty atrocious in England colours.
Sheez England picked some bad players in the past 20 years. I'd imagine none of the worst Aussies over the past 20 years (except Doherty and maybe some other hack spinners) would make that side.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Plenty of fine, fine cricketers have found Test cricket a step too far, either through misfortune, circumstance or ability.

For England, Chris Cowdrey would be in and Neal Radford has to be a contender for the new ball.

Would it be unduly harsh to have Andy Lloyd opening the batting? Probably...

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Sticking to those who debuted since 1990.

1. Wayne Philips (Vic)
2. Phil Hughes
3. Martin Love
4. Stuart Law
5. Shaun Young
6. Graeme Manou
7. Phil Emery
8. Paul McIntyre
9. Brad Williams
10. Scott Muller
11. Simon Cook

For a worst XI you've got some pretty good quality players. The Hughes, Love and Law are all damn good, and the middle's only bad as its got 2 keepers in it. Bowling looks pretty dire though.
Simon Cook aint that bad!

YouTube - ‪*RARE* SIMON COOK 7 wickets on test debut - Australia vs New Zealand 1997 Perth‬‏

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh, and add Agnew in there. Not just for his performances but for irritating me so often since he stopped playing.