• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

With the benefit of hindsight, were Jardine's 'bodyline' tactics justified?

With the benefit of hindsight, were Jardine's 'bodyline' tactics justified?

• Yes, the tactics were justified and without them, England would have lost

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Yes, the tactics were justified. Nevertheless, without them, England still would have won

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No, the tactics were not justified. Moreover, England would have lost without them

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No, the tactics were not justified. Furthermore, England still would have won without them

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nowhowsthat

Cricket Spectator
In my recent poll on who has been England's best captain since 1930, Douglas Jardine won with over 40% of the poll (at least that is the present position with a couple of weeks still to go before the poll closes). That therefore begs the question as to whether by today's standards and perspectives, Jardine's 'bodyline' or 'fast leg theory' or simply 'leg theory' tactics were justified? Moreover, would England have still won the 1932/33 Ashes without those tactics?

Just as an aside, I recently watched the 1984 Australian television mini--series (called Bodyline) on the bodyline Ashes series for the first time in a number of years. I have to say, I thought it was somewhat emotive and took some liberties with the facts for the sake of dramatic licence. For one thing, watching the TV series you would have come away thinking that Pelham 'Plum' Warner (the so called 'Prime Minister' of Cricket) and Jardine ended up as bitter enemies as a result of Jardines 'bodyline' tactics. However, the reality is that following Jardines premature death from cancer in 1957, Warner paid Jardine the following tribute: "In my humble opinion, Jardine was a very fine captain, both on and off the field, and in the committee-room he was also extremely good. If ever there was a cricket match between England and the rest of the world and the fate of England depended upon its result, I would pick Jardine as England captain every time." (see following: Cricinfo) From this, it certainly does not appear to me as though they ended up as bitter enemies. There were other things as well such as "the depiction of angry Australian fans burning an English flag at the Adelaide Test, an event which was never documented" (see following account for quote: Legends of the Ashes: 1932-33: Bodyline). Nevertheless, I always enjoy watching the TV mini-series from time to time (the emotive parts and the historical liberties being no more than dramatic licence) and I think Hugo Weaving's portrayal of Jardine was absolutely magnificent - as indeed all of his performances have been down the years from Bangkok Hilton to the Matrix films, Lord of the Rings and V For Vendetta. An absolutely superb actor. Probably one of the best of his generation.

There has been talk for some time that Peter Clifton was going to make a film on the bodyline series called "The Bloody Ashes". However, nothing seems to have come of that as of yet - I wonder whether the film is still going ahead? There was talk at one time that Russell Crowe was going to be in it. Hope the film sees the light of day eventually.

The main victim of the bodyline Ashes series apart from Berty Oldfield in my opinion was poor Harold Larwood. There is a fantastic book which came out recently on Larwood by Duncan Hamilton. I read a great review of the book (at the following link: Review of Hamilton's book on Larwood) which provides a good summary of how Larwood was disgracefully hung out to dry and which says: "Harold Larwood tells one of cricket's most famous stories. Larwood came from the traditional source of fast bowlers in northern England: the pit. He became the fastest bowler in the country and led the attack in the Bodyline Ashes series of 1932/3. Others bowled bodyline – a systematic attack on the batsman's body, with a ring of close catchers on the legside waiting for a deflection as he fended the ball off – but Larwood did so with unequalled speed and accuracy, and that's what caused all the fuss. The Australians were outraged, the public schoolboys who ran the game in England, embarrassed. Larwood, who had simply followed the instructions of his captain Douglas Jardine, became the fall guy. They even asked him to sign a letter of apology. His mother told him that he would never see her alive if he signed it, which he didn't, but the pressure weighed him down.He never played Test cricket again, and Hamilton shows us Larwood's torment as he spent the next decade or more hiding from the nonsense that Bodyline generated. Hamilton resists the temptation to express his own outrage at the injustices done to Larwood, but tells the story in an understated way that leaves the reader to become angry on his behalf. The portrayal of incidental figures is strong. It was fascinating to learn how Nottinghamshire's coach Jimmy Iremonger turned the scrawny, five-foot-seven Larwood into one of the fastest bowlers the game has seen. With his strong emphasis on physical fitness, Iremonger was decades ahead of his time, except that his favoured energy drink came in pint glasses with froth on top. The villains are Sir Pelham Warner and Sir Donald Bradman. Warner was the England manager and appears here two-faced and weaselling. He was knighted in 1937, as Larwood, who he had hung out to dry, faded from the game, to the relief of Warner's fellow Lord's grandees, who were pleased to be rid of an embarrassment. Jardine (who Larwood revered to the end) adopted bodyline to nullify Bradman, who, alone among the bowler's Australian adversaries, remained cool towards him, and failed to offer any assistance to Larwood when he emigrated to Sydney in 1951. This was in contrast to Jack Fingleton, whose tracking down of Larwood to a backstreet Blackpool sweetshop I have written about: Fingleton's Intervention Hamilton says that the former Australian opener's intervention was more decisive than Fingleton himself described, suggesting that far from building upon an existing notion, it was this visit that set Larwood thinking about emigration to the place where he had been public enemy No 1 less than twenty years before, and where he lived happily for the last four decades of his life."

What an amazing person Fingleton was. The following link describes Fingleton's intervention: Brightly Fades the Don by Jack Fingleton - It says that while in the north of England after the war, Fingleton lead an "expedition to track down his old Bodyline adversary Harold Larwood, who he found running a sweetshop in the back streets of Blackpool. Fingleton, using that reporter’s eye again, notes that Larwood does not have his name on the shop, odd for a famous sportsman, even in those commercially unsophisticated days. He finds Larwood welcoming, but bitter, not at the Australians, but at the English cricketing establishment, which shunned him when it became expedient to place distance between itself and the events of 1932/3. The meeting had unexpected consequences. Fingleton was surprised to hear Larwood contemplating emigration to Australia, “the country which once flamed from end to end over his bowling”. The encouragement that they received from Fingleton helped the Larwoods and their five daughters to take the momentous decision to emigrate. He lived happily in Sydney for another 45 years." Just goes to show that there is a tremendous bond between most cricketers regardless of whatever team or country they played for, and that that transcended even the 1932-33 bodyline Ashes series, probably the most controversial series of all time.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Cracking stuff.

The way Larwood was treated by England's cricketing establishment was a disgrace and it's true that it must have weighed heavily on him, but at the same time wasn't he still topping the English FC averages several years after Bodyline? I think that shows both a) his greatness as a bowler and b) his strength of character that he was still charging in and delivering great performances despite what had happened to him, and knowing - as I'm sure he must have - that he was never going to play Test cricket for England again no matter what he did.

I suppose the one positive that came out of it was that it protected Larwood's legacy - his last acts in Test cricket were his performances in 32/33 and they're what we remember him for. Rather than fading with age, as might well have been the case, he left Test cricket - albeit not on his own terms - at his peak. Even during the Bodyline series it was Jardine who was hated by the Australian public, not Larwood, and Lol was a popular and warmly welcomed migrant to Australian shores.

So, to sum up, were Jardine's tactics justified? No, the ****.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't be fooled by the post mortem praise - Warner detested Jardine - in a letter home during the 32/33 tour he described him as "very trying", "half mad", "ungracious", "rude" , "no leader" and declared he "must not captain again"

JBMAC

State Captain
I voted for #1. Strange I suppose BUT the ONLY way England felt they could contain Bradman was by using "leg theory" which while being legitimate at the time, was considered by most players of the game as just "not Cricket".(stiff upper lip etc).Hence Fingleton's comment.
Bodyline was fairly accurate according to my old man who was at the Brisbane Test which if i remember correctly Bradman may not have played in

archie mac

International Coach
I have always felt England would have won without breaking the spirt of cricket, however the little fella may have swung it:-O

fredfertang

I voted for the first option too. Without leg theory/bodyline I just don't see how England, however brilliant Larwood was, could have stopped the Australian batting line-up scoring as many runs as they needed - after all it wasn't just Bradman - McCabe particularly, but Woodfull and Ponsford as well, were top class batsmen

archie mac

International Coach
I voted for the first option too. Without leg theory/bodyline I just don't see how England, however brilliant Larwood was, could have stopped the Australian batting line-up scoring as many runs as they needed - after all it wasn't just Bradman - McCabe particularly, but Woodfull and Ponsford as well, were top class batsmen
With Bradman not at full fitness and Sutcliffe, Hammond and Paynter all in fine form I think it may have been very close. With Aust losing the first two Tests in 1936-37 with Bradman and England without Larwood who knows in 1932-33. I think England may have won:)

Himannv

International Coach
Even with the benefit of hindsight, its hard to say what would have happened in the series if the leg theory was not put into practice. I think the Aussies may have just edged it.

Personally as a cricket fan I'm happy that it was indeed put into practice as its became a significant part of the history of cricket.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same situation as the underarm incident, except with the underarm incident the 'offending' team had a great chance of winning without the tactics.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Even with the benefit of hindsight, its hard to say what would have happened in the series if the leg theory was not put into practice. I think the Aussies may have just edged it.

Personally as a cricket fan I'm happy that it was indeed put into practice as its became a significant part of the history of cricket.
Indeed and its interesting to study how the series influenced the relationship between Australia and England at the time

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Even during the Bodyline series it was Jardine who was hated by the Australian public, not Larwood, and Lol was a popular and warmly welcomed migrant to Australian shores.
Nah. Larwood was abused and sent death threats for years afterwards and hated Australians for their treatment of him. Things only softened over the years. He was a warmly welcomed migrant but only after a lot of water had passed under the bridge.

andyc

Same situation as the underarm incident, except with the underarm incident the 'offending' team had a great chance of winning without the tactics.
Exactly. Yet it's for all those who defend Bodyline, virtually no one defends the underarm. Maybe like you said, it's because the Aussies would almost certainly have won anyway, but a captain's job is to do everything possible to ensure a win within the laws, which both Jardine and Chappell clearly did.

Not a fan of either tactic, ftr.

Himannv

International Coach
Indeed and its interesting to study how the series influenced the relationship between Australia and England at the time
I always assumed they weren't very friendly anyway. Did this incident have a particularly measured difference?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Exactly. Yet it's for all those who defend Bodyline, virtually no one defends the underarm. Maybe like you said, it's because the Aussies would almost certainly have won anyway, but a captain's job is to do everything possible to ensure a win within the laws, which both Jardine and Chappell clearly did.

Not a fan of either tactic, ftr.
Neither am I. But I have a great deal of respect for the amount of pace and skill required from the bowlers to make Bodyline a working tactic. One underarm delivery requires no cricketing skill whatsoever.

fredfertang

Nah. Larwood was abused and sent death threats for years afterwards and hated Australians for their treatment of him. Things only softened over the years. He was a warmly welcomed migrant but only after a lot of water had passed under the bridge.
That was my understanding as well, although the Australians did react differently to him than they did to Jardine viz the standing ovation he got when he was out for 98 in the final test

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? It was obviously very tense at the time, and I can imagine there must have been a few Aussies who never let it go but I'd always read that he was largely forgiven and welcomed, and that it was Jardine who Australia really hated. I've read many accounts of him being cheered back to the pavilion when he made his 98 in Sydney in the Bodyline series and that virtually everyone regretted the two runs that he missed.

EDIT - as mentioned by Fertang in the post directly above mine. :ph34r:

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't fully agree.

Bodyline could successfully be countered as McCabe, Bradman and Jardine himself shown. Took brass balls & a high pain threshold or an eagle eye but it was possible. There's no way a ball rolled along the ground could be hit for six.

Also, on Jardine's rep in Oz, the great man himself said after returning to Australia in the 50s on a business trip that he was generally treated as an old so-and-so who'd gotten away with it rather than the bogeyman. I think his reputation really suffered as a result of the genuine animus between him and Bradman. Sir Donald could be a man as small as his stature on occasion and it's a matter of record that he never accorded Larwood his due, traducing him as a chucker, so far less the man who set Notts' champion loose on him.

As Bradman ascended to the status of living deity I think his opinion of DRJ became the prevalent Australian one.