• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Did You Used to Pretend to Be?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm talking about their bowling-actions. Clearly there are some aspects of the actual bowling that Vettori does better than MSP.

The second time I saw MSP (whose action was rather different to the first time I saw it) the first thing that struck me was how Vettori-esque it was. Only difference is Vettori's is rather more jerky, MSP's much more smooth.

FRAZ

International Captain
When you were a kid (and for those that still are), which cricketer(s) did you pretend to be in the nets/garden/street?

Maybe suprisingly, on the fields I used to pretend to be Abdul Qadir when I was a small kid (10-11 yrs old).

When I started taking cricket more serious (14-16) I liked to try and imitate Larwood.

I still think there is a little bit of Qadir 'funk' in my fast bowling action. :)
Yo ! I liked Darren Gough .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
People say that I bat like Dhoni, but I think they mean the shuffly part, not the hard hitting part.

Swervy

International Captain
what a great thread...

As a kid I modelled my bowling action on Botham and come match day (Under-10s) thats who I was!!!! (in my head anyway)

In the back garden or having a knock about at the park, used to change all the time, coz I would get bored easily....I remember trying to be /pretending to be Roger Binny (hero), Tahir Naqqash (bizarre!!), Wasim Raja (as a bowler) and Kapil Dev...as well as the usual Lillee, Hadlee, etc , and for a giggle Max Walker and Lance Cairns.

When it came to batting, Robbie Langer (Justins uncle) was someone who I loved watching, but no way was I good enough at batting (until I was about 17) to even think about copying him...but if I wanted to score quick runs, I would get into a Robbie Langer frame of mind and all inspired by his 99* vs someone back in about 1981 in the McDonalds Cup.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashley Giles....left arm orthodox...ala...and I looked a bit like him aswell when i was around 15...(glasses etc) then someone told me naah your more like Vettori and you can bat aswell (not that Giles can't bat but ah go figure)

battingwise? no idea...I used to pull or hook everything that came to me, nowadays I just drive the ball as much as i can and sometimes when the ball is there for it, I hook or pull...and that normally results in a 4, but it has happend to much that trying to pull a bowl end in being bowled or edging it...so i've gotten very selective with that.

Jakester1288

International Regular
My spinner action looks like Warnies. I am a pace bowler who can bowl fast, and sometomes I let my anger go on the batsmen.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Dada!!!

Ganguly all the way. Still do.

Left hand bat, my natural timing is pretty good, I like using my feet against the spinners, strongest through the covers and down the ground. Also I bowl right arm mediumish.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
You pretended to be an aloof, arrogant, self-important tosser? No harm in that, I suppose. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Steve Waugh back when he was an allrounder. Merv Hughes with my run-up. (Now I'm apparently seeking to imitate Merv with my girth, if not yet with a moustache).