• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Did You Used to Pretend to Be?

Isolator

State 12th Man
Gone through many phases, but the longest would have to be Klusener, batting and bowling. Another notable one was the Fanie de Villers phase.

And yeah, Rajesh Chauhan was cool, I always liked the guy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I never really "modelled" my batting on anyone, even in the days when I used to be something a tad better than "utterly useless", but whenever I picked-up a bat it was always Graham Gooch who was in my head. Unsurprisingly so - this was 1991 and 1992, Gooch was a colossus, the best batsman in The World, far and away the superstar of the England side. When I discovered Aravinda de Silva, he took the mantle and WILL hold it for the rest of my life.

When I first started bowling I tried my hand at wristspin and the only wristspinner I knew a thing about was Mushtaq Ahmed so I guess I probably played as him. With the ball, there was only ever one guy (though another crept in as time wore on) - Dominic Cork. Later a bit of Darren Gough was added and my action still strongly resembles those two, though without the accuracy or speed of either. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Considering that I learned cricket entirely from watching it on TV, I kinda had to fashion myself on someone.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
When I used to bowl pace, I tried to bowl like Malcolm Marshall, but then I realised I sucked, so I bowled spin. I guess my action is quite like Warne's, which is certainly a bad thing, though I didn't directly try and copy his action.

Batting wise, I think that I used to try and bat like Sachin Tendulkar, but then I soon relaised that it was basically impossible for me.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Where to start on this...

My batting has been modelled on Sourav Ganguly. I am a natural timer of the ball and particularly favour the cut shot and backfoot off drives. However, I am shocking (at best) on my body. Like Ganguly, I can fend them off my body, but not play the pull or hook shot with confidence.

I have tried more bowling actions than I can count. Out of them though, I have used pathetic attempts at Shoaib Akhtar's action for an entire winter and Waqar Younis' and Dale Steyn's action for the first few games of a season - this season I have learned that the natural action (with small modifications if necessary) is the one that will always work best.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
. However, I am shocking (at best) on my body. Like Ganguly, I can fend them off my body, but not play the pull or hook shot with confidence.
Haha, same. I am totally pathetic at playing balls just short of a length at decent pace (around 65mph) off my body. I sort of twist my body away and let it smack into my back.

cpr

International Coach
Batting wise I suppose I tried to play the Neil Fairbrother way, play it off the pads and away (though remember being told i had one of the best techniques at hitting through the covers in the team.... never felt confident enough in it to use it as my main scoring stroke)

Bowling, cant really say, sorta developed my non spin action from bowling off really short run ups in the school gym, never really tried to model it on anyone.

Likewise, keeping i just sorta developed off my own back, due to the lack of coaching at school. Brought in what i'd learnt in years as a footie keeper and tried to put the theory into practise

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
When I was a runty little medium pacer at primary school, I modelled myself on Danny Morrison, then when I switched to leggies, it was Mushtaq Ahmed, Shane Warne and then finally, once I realised I was never going to be a massive turner of the ball, Anil Kumble. Batting-wise, no one - I realised it was pointless trying to emulate anyone with a hint of batting ability.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Hadlee, of course. Probably showing my age here...

EDIT: when I got hold of a tin of zinc I also liked to pretend to be Chris Pringle :ph34r:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I grew up idolizing Imran Khan, so it was only natural to pretend to be him while bowling. Tried to copy his action and everything, but was never successful. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, agree with both of they. Since when were you reading my posts (again) though? My recent week-long absence addle your brains?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aye, agree with both of they. Since when were you reading my posts (again) though? My recent week-long absence addle your brains?
All I did was click on the 'view post' button as I thought in such a thread as this one, there could be little cause for argument.

I doubt that even you would be cantankerous enough to suggest that anyone's choice was the 'wrong decision' ;)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Bowled leg-spin like Warney as a kid. Wasn't too bad at it until I buggered out my fingers. Batted like Blewy (bat like a right handed Lehmann now tbh, shape included.)