• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do non-Indian fans think about India?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only people worse than Sledger (who is comfortably the worst poster to ever set foot in cricket chat) are the people that respond to him.

Sort yourselves out ffs
It's incredible that after all these years people still rise to him. He must be thinking it's all money for jam.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Indian and Australian fans are actually objectively worse because cricket is the national sport in both countries and therefore attracts all the plebs. See: soccer in England, rugby in New Zealand, ice hockey in Canada etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Indian and Australian fans are actually objectively worse because cricket is the national sport in both countries and therefore attracts all the plebs. See: soccer in England, rugby in New Zealand, ice hockey in Canada etc.
Well, in that case, you know Bangladesh, Pak, SL and even WI fans are just as bad too, for the very same reason.

Nah. Not mad
I stand corrected. So what would the sports preferences be for the average Aussie sporting fan? AFL > Cricket > Rugby > Soccer?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I stand corrected. So what would the sports preferences be for the average Aussie sporting fan? AFL > Cricket > Rugby > Soccer?
It's hard to quantify because it changes so much state to state. The fact that there are two distinct codes of rugby and the fact that participation numbers are so different to crowd numbers and television ratings also play a part.

Cricket is the most popular summer sport in all states. In winter, rugby league is the most popular in NSW and Queensland but pretty much non-existent in the rest of the country where AFL reigns supreme. Soccer is played at junior/recreational level in winter but at professional level in summer to line it up better with the other leagues around the world and also to avoid a clash with the other popular football codes. Rugby union, which is what most people around the world mean by the word "rugby", is more of a fringe sport here.

I'd say most people tend to be more passionate about whatever their choice of football code is, but that's divided amongst a lot of sports and also divided amongst local teams as opposed to national support; cricket unites the country in a way over summer.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It must be nice to be in a country where playing sports is encouraged so much. IN Chennai right now, half of our schools do not even have playgrounds. :( This immense concentration on academics by the majority is gonna cost us as a sports nation.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well, in that case, you know Bangladesh, Pak, SL and even WI fans are just as bad too, for the very same reason.

Actually SL fans are probably the best in the SC, by far. They appreciate the other teams somewhat as well. Definitely better than pak ind or bangers crowd

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I love Manju, Jonathan, Manan, Prasant and all the other Indian fans who post on CW

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It must be nice to be in a country where playing sports is encouraged so much. IN Chennai right now, half of our schools do not even have playgrounds. :( This immense concentration on academics by the majority is gonna cost us as a sports nation.
It's great from a spectator's pov because there's *always* something on. I guess it dilutes talent across four football codes though.

If Yu ever get a chance to watch a game of AFL live, do eeeet. It's an incredible live sport and the fastest football code there is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's great from a spectator's pov because there's *always* something on. I guess it dilutes talent across four football codes though.

If Yu ever get a chance to watch a game of AFL live, do eeeet. It's an incredible live sport and the fastest football code there is.

Yeah... I used to watch and enjoy a team called Brisbane Broncos... Think we got a station called Television Australia or something and they showed all their games, when I was a school kid, circa 1998 or so... Sometimes they showed us the odd Sheffield Shield game that was televised live by Channel Seven I think. I was amazed at the amount of sports even regular stations were broadcasting. I think even in South Africa it is the same. Was there for a month at Jo'burg and inspite of all the other issues there, it was obvious how much sports the kids tend to play.

And its the best way to play sports. When you are playing for the fun, for the team spirit and stuff, instead of trying to get "so much runs or wickets" that will ensure your name shows up in the newspaper clipping next day, to use an INdian cricketing example.