• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do non-Indian fans think about India?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ergo, my speculation that it was set up to get him banned by the Aussie team and it just backfired. Look, none of them (from both teams) came out of that smelling like roses, not even Sachin, the one whose name shall never be spoken ill of. Its just annoying that people like SS still bring it up as a reason to blindly state Harbhajan was racist, as if it was something that happened in a vaccuum.
I don't think it was a set up to get him banned. I tend to think of you have a choice between a conspiracy and people ****ing up, take the latter 99 times out of one hundred.

I cbf looking up the stats but didn't he take about four wickets in the series, and I think three of those were Ponting. Having said that, if he'd have been banned I doubt anyone in the Australian team would have been upset.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. I am not saying he was bowling well and was a threat to the Aussie side. But it might have been a ploy to prick the side and whatever confidence they were slowly building up. Hell, the way we play in Australia, they would have been better served not to have done anything at all. All they did was fire India up for Perth. But also seem to remember he was batting well and India were looking very good when said incident happened? No?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha I love how if something is said in a judgment it immediately becomes fact. Amazing logic.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha I love how if something is said in a judgment it immediately becomes fact. Amazing logic.

Hahahahaha.. I love how something should be considered true just because sledger posts it, even though everything else proves it is biased bull****. Amazing logic indeed.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I hate to flog this old horse again, but a "teri maa ki" is definitely more likely in that situation than a "monkey". It requires a staggering ignorance of the cultural context to pretend otherwise.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I hate to flog this old horse again, but a "teri maa ki" is definitely more likely in that situation than a "monkey". It requires a staggering ignorance of the cultural context to pretend otherwise.
Or maybe it's a staggeringly desperate defense to save face when caught making a racist remark. That episode reflected very poorly on Harby, as well as on the crowds in India that later (without a doubt this time) made racist gestures at Symonds.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I like to look at the Perth test which followed which had both teams suddenly become very good boys and India winning it. That series was such a dire stenchy ending to a decade or so of great rivalry.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Or maybe it's a staggeringly desperate defense to save face when caught making a racist remark. That episode reflected very poorly on Harby, as well as on the crowds in India that later (without a doubt this time) made racist gestures at Symonds.
A lot of the crowds we have comprise of idiots (and a fair few racists) by nature. We have people who go ugh when they see black people still. They just come at the cricket because it is the cool thing to do.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd be impressed at myself for having made that 'defense'. I wouldn't have thought of it. I don't particularly trust either Harby or the sanctimonious self-righteous Hayden. In the absence of definite proof, what's most likely is what I'm going with.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it's pretty evident that other than the Sydney 08 test which riled up some Australian fans, the other fans seems to be more upset about the behavior of Indian fans online and the crowds at the cricket grounds. Despite the fact that I have borne the brunt of a lot of these Indian fans online, especially after every World Cup game for obvious reasons, I will still say that this is not exclusively an Indian problem nor does India have some sort of a monopoly on obnoxious and unsporting behavior from ultra nationalistic fans.

Indian crowds are extremely unsporting. A packed ground will be in utter silence if the opposition scores a boundary or picks up a wicket. Even the new India poster boy Harsha Bhogle remarked that someone had set the volume to mute when Rohit Sharma got out to Amir at Kolkata.

But this is not just the Indian crowd though. The Bangladesh crowd is exactly the same. But is it just a subcontinental problem? Not necessarily. I was at MCG during the World Cup 2015 final and although Australia were well on top, every time Grant Elliot would score a boundary, a bunch of Australian fans nearby would be cursing and abusing him from the stands.

The problem here is not about India or Bangladesh or Australia. The problem here is a sense of nationalism and national pride where you feel you would be disloyal to your country if you appreciate a good performance of the opposition, or you already have such a sense of superiority that you are blinded to the excellence in others. That prevents you from every appreciating anyone from outside. This is is at the crux of the problem here. Not saying everyone is like that. But this is a significantly large proportion of people in any country. India being a nation of 1b or Bangladesh being a nation of 200m, that proportion translates to a large number of people wearing their nationalism on their sleeve.

A good example would be on this very forum, there are a few Australian fans who will never ever appreciate a cricketer from another team or blindly support the sometimes obnoxious behavior of their teams or cricket boards. Same is true for some Indian and English fans. When weldone comes here and says something like BCCI is the king of the jungle where the other animals (teams) reside, or Kirkut claims everyone else is just jealous, or the Australian fans looking the other way when Hazelwood asks "who's the ****ing umpire'. That's just national bias clouding their sense of judgement.

The other teams don't have a significantly large proportion of fandom here for a decent sample size.

Having said that, the reason the unsporting crowd behavior in India or Bangladesh gets magnified is because those countries are not multi cultural/national.

Australia has a significant population of Kiwis, Brits and South Asians. So in a cricket game, you will have a decent proportion of these fans showing up at the games and cheering for their team, along with the Gobs and the Burgeys, thus creating a healthy and sporting atmosphere. South Africa has a lot of Indians. England has a lot of South Asians as well.

The South Asian countries obviously do not have such a mixed population, hence the fandom you see at cricket grounds are one sided.

So to go back to the original point, the behavior of Indian fans is what seems to tick off people here. Yes their behavior is dreadful, but it's absolutely unfair to just single them out. Human beings in general have tribal instincts, but unfortunately for a lot of people, that's all they have.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
what i hate is this holier than thou attitude .....I have seen videos where in the 75-76 Aus vs WI series , WI players talking about how the public was racist towards them...Remember watching a video where Tony Greig calls pakistani players p..is which now would have led to his removal from the commentary team..remember Dean Jones terrorist jibe..Lehman, present Aussie coach i think used the word Black C..t towards a Sri Lankan Player..Cricket Australia Full Monty act, but no India is blah blah blah..their players are blah blah blah..Sachin Tendulkar is blah blah and to rile the Sachinists add Dravid is great etc and yes rest of the cricketing nations are Saints in every aspect..

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well it's pretty evident that other than the Sydney 08 test which riled up some Australian fans, the other fans seems to be more upset about the behavior of Indian fans online and the crowds at the cricket grounds. Despite the fact that I have borne the brunt of a lot of these Indian fans online, especially after every World Cup game for obvious reasons, I will still say that this is not exclusively an Indian problem nor does India have some sort of a monopoly on obnoxious and unsporting behavior from ultra nationalistic fans.

Indian crowds are extremely unsporting. A packed ground will be in utter silence if the opposition scores a boundary or picks up a wicket. Even the new India poster boy Harsha Bhogle remarked that someone had set the volume to mute when Rohit Sharma got out to Amir at Kolkata.

But this is not just the Indian crowd though. The Bangladesh crowd is exactly the same. But is it just a subcontinental problem? Not necessarily. I was at MCG during the World Cup 2015 final and although Australia were well on top, every time Grant Elliot would score a boundary, a bunch of Australian fans nearby would be cursing and abusing him from the stands.

The problem here is not about India or Bangladesh or Australia. The problem here is a sense of nationalism and national pride where you feel you would be disloyal to your country if you appreciate a good performance of the opposition, or you already have such a sense of superiority that you are blinded to the excellence in others. That prevents you from every appreciating anyone from outside. This is is at the crux of the problem here. Not saying everyone is like that. But this is a significantly large proportion of people in any country. India being a nation of 1b or Bangladesh being a nation of 200m, that proportion translates to a large number of people wearing their nationalism on their sleeve.

A good example would be on this very forum, there are a few Australian fans who will never ever appreciate a cricketer from another team or blindly support the sometimes obnoxious behavior of their teams or cricket boards. Same is true for some Indian and English fans. When weldone comes here and says something like BCCI is the king of the jungle where the other animals (teams) reside, or Kirkut claims everyone else is just jealous, or the Australian fans looking the other way when Hazelwood asks "who's the ****ing umpire'. That's just national bias clouding their sense of judgement.

The other teams don't have a significantly large proportion of fandom here for a decent sample size.

Having said that, the reason the unsporting crowd behavior in India or Bangladesh gets magnified is because those countries are not multi cultural/national.

Australia has a significant population of Kiwis, Brits and South Asians. So in a cricket game, you will have a decent proportion of these fans showing up at the games and cheering for their team, along with the Gobs and the Burgeys, thus creating a healthy and sporting atmosphere. South Africa has a lot of Indians. England has a lot of South Asians as well.

The South Asian countries obviously do not have such a mixed population, hence the fandom you see at cricket grounds are one sided.

So to go back to the original point, the behavior of Indian fans is what seems to tick off people here. Yes their behavior is dreadful, but it's absolutely unfair to just single them out. Human beings in general have tribal instincts, but unfortunately for a lot of people, that's all they have.

Basically you can put the same thread about any country's fans and you will get the exact same reasons and they will all be just as true. No one is better than the other and everyone is equally bad.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically you can put the same thread about any country's fans and you will get the exact same reasons and they will all be just as true. No one is better than the other and everyone is equally bad.
Yeah pretty much. The reason Indians get called out more is because there are just more of you lot :p

Apparently bollywood movies which used to cut to a shot of flowers cross pollinating every time the male and female actor are about to make love have contributed to this

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The only people worse than Sledger (who is comfortably the worst poster to ever set foot in cricket chat) are the people that respond to him.

Sort yourselves out ffs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah pretty much. The reason Indians get called out more is because there are just more of you lot :p

Apparently bollywood movies which used to cut to a shot of flowers cross pollinating every time the male and female actor are about to make love have contributed to this

Every bad thing about India can be traced back to Shahrukh Khan, obv. :)