• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do non-Indian fans think about India?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's incredible that after all these years people still rise to him. He must be thinking it's all money for jam.
Haha, the weird thing is my effort level is at an all time low for this sort of thing, but no matter how rancid the bait the idiots still keep snapping it up. So good.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, the weird thing is my effort level is at an all time low for this sort of thing, but no matter how rancid the bait the idiots still keep snapping it up. So good.
When was the last time you were banned? Must be a direct correlation.

edit: Also when did you an AN become a thing?

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
You do wonder if India's hockey team continues their rise back up the world ranking what sort of impact it will have on cricket's popularity in India.
Barring a brief period (2000-2011) India have been thoroughly mediocre at cricket - particularly test cricket.

Hockey has a had rough period in India since the last of the great India sides left the scene in the early eighties - Zafar's IQbal's side that won the bronze At the Amsterdam champions trophy in 1982 and missed the Olympic semi finals by a whisker in LA 1984. BUt there are definite signs of India's hockey renaissance - they've moved up from 12th to seventh since Beijing 2008, they won bronze at the World hockey league final in December, the Hockey India League is developing into a world class competition with some of the best players in the world regularly competing. Even Indian women's team have qualified for a non boycotted OLympics for the first time ever this year.

India have always had far more potential in hockey than in cricket and I forsee that hockey will regain mass support in India again.
Hockey India , despite their flaws, are still far better governed than the BCCI and have cleaned up their act in a big way.

I also think India are improving in other sports - badminton, squash, and volleyball, boxing, wrestling.
Football also has potential I think.

Cricket is not always going to hold sway in India particularly if the product/brand continues to be mediocre. Incredible that so many INdian sports fans continue to support the INdian team when they barely perform despite all the hype and attention.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don't see the popularity of cricket becoming less. We will follow hockey as well. Nowadays there are various sports leagues developing. Fair bit of crowd for them. It just shows Indians can like other sports too. Regarding India being mediocre except 2000-2011, they have started to improve again as a test team tbf.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India is still a better test team than half of the sides around and are virtually unbeatable at home while being mediocre outside the sub-continent. Basically we are doing better than we were in the 90s when the popularity sky rocketed, so I don't think cricket will lose any sway at all, no matter how much you throw the word "mediocre" around...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On an unrelated note, I would love India to become good at hockey again. But cricket's popularity isn't waning any time soon. There's no reason both sports can't do well. Also, the whole nation will get behind the 2 or 3 athletes (with a shout at a medal) we send to the Olympics this summer.

cnerd123

likes this
I personally am waiting for MMA to make it big in India. They already had a couple of reality shows about MMA didn't they? Mostly wrestlers and boxers. And there was a Bollywood movie recently about MMA too.

It's only a matter of time.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I personally am waiting for MMA to make it big in India. They already had a couple of reality shows about MMA didn't they? Mostly wrestlers and boxers. And there was a Bollywood movie recently about MMA too.

That'll never be a threat to cricket. At best, they can threaten the TRP of MTV Roadies, Splitsvilla, etc.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member