• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

the big bambino

International Captain
There is a poster here, whose name irritatingly escapes me and whose post I can't find, that said Warner has also copped abuse for being a boor and a dick. The argument being that he is being subjected to the kinds of disparaging remarks he directed at Trott.

There were responses to that post which said abuse from punters on a cricket forum aren't the same as publicly ridiculing a fellow professional and that overall perhaps Warner's behaviour brings the criticism on his head.

After thinking about it I think the poster who brought up the initial point is right and maybe I've been a bit too liberal criticising Warner. Reading an article about the way he cares for his family, friends and community and the way he struggled to make good reinforces the rethink. Look he does say and do inconsiderate things. I don't think he can be blamed for Trott's leaving but would be impressed if he regretted saying the things he did in the forum he chose. I take back what I said earlier and hope he converts his talent into a long and successful career. (I just hope he grows up).

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricinfo did have a link yesterday with Warner saying that he felt he had gone "too far". Perhaps he had gotten to know about Trott's issues through someone, or maybe it was just him having an introspection. Good on him either way. Funny though, I can't find the link on cricinfo anymore.

the big bambino

International Captain
Cricinfo did have a link yesterday with Warner saying that he felt he had gone "too far". Perhaps he had gotten to know about Trott's issues through someone, or maybe it was just him having an introspection. Good on him either way. Funny though, I can't find the link on cricinfo anymore.
Ok. For a bloke that's had to be directed to make amends in the past that's pretty good. Good on him as you say. Come to think of it he won the English over with his response to the ragging he rec'd from their crowds for bopping Root. Yeah there's more to him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It has to be said that Warner's comments are a bit odd to the extent they touched on Trott's demeanour, because in India and England Warner looked like a deadeset deer in the headlights.

I'm not mentioning this in relation to Trott leaving the tour, but just in the context of a bloke who wasn't even in the side two tests ago because of his own behaviour and who's far from a proven Test star thinking it was a smart thing to have a crack at a bloke who's scored as amny runs as Trott has looking scared. I don't really get that. Cricket has a way of biting you on the arse. If someone like AB or Ponting or the like said it, well they've been through enough themselves to pass some form of respectable comment about the way someone shaped up at the crease. But I don't get it coming from a bloke like Warner who hasn't yet proven himself to anything like the extent Trott has.

He's not the first bloke to say something like that though. Harbhajan said in the early 2000s that seeing Ponting walk out to bat in the 2001 series was the first time he saw "fear in a batsman's eyes". Just to prove my point, Harby made those comments during the 2003 World Cup.....

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It has to be said that Warner's comments are a bit odd to the extent they touched on Trott's demeanour, because in India and England Warner looked like a deadeset deer in the headlights.

I'm not mentioning this in relation to Trott leaving the tour, but just in the context of a bloke who wasn't even in the side two tests ago because of his own behaviour and who's far from a proven Test star thinking it was a smart thing to have a crack at a bloke who's scored as amny runs as Trott has looking scared. I don't really get that. Cricket has a way of biting you on the arse. If someone like AB or Ponting or the like said it, well they've been through enough themselves to pass some form of respectable comment about the way someone shaped up at the crease. But I don't get it coming from a bloke like Warner who hasn't yet proven himself to anything like the extent Trott has.
YEEESSSSS!!!!

So so true.......Warner was even dissing Hashim Amla about being distracted by the movement in the crowds when SA were over here last, questioning his concentration powers!!.......Hashim friggin Amla FFS. Warner needs to earn his stripes before commenting on players who have achieved so much more than him in the game (which is exactly nothing at this point in time) As and when Warner maintains a +50 average in both forms of the game for any length of time and has won an ICC cricketer of the year award then he can comment on Jonathon Trotts ability against pace, until then STFU already.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Why are people being hard on somebody who speaks out whenever he thinks it may give his team a slight advantage, or when he speaks out just because he wants to? It's his right. Lay off, codgers, and relax. You may not think highly of him, but most of us do the same thing over and over again every day. Time to get off the high horses maybe, instead of bringing out the "Higher-Standards-Because-He-Represents-Country" argument.

Burgey

Why are people being hard on somebody who speaks out whenever he thinks it may give his team a slight advantage, or when he speaks out just because he wants to? It's his right. Lay off, codgers, and relax. You may not think highly of him, but most of us do the same thing over and over again every day. Time to get off the high horses maybe, instead of bringing out the "Higher-Standards-Because-He-Represents-Country" argument.
I don't care whether he represents his country or not. Warner's comments seem stupid to me when I heard him not a month ago on radio laughing at himself saying he couldn't buy a run and coming from a bloke who wasn't in the side two tests ago. If he'd played a hundred tests and was a preeminent player he'd be qualified to say something.

I dunno, everything Warner touches off the field seems to turn into a pile of ****. It's a pretty unique gift.

TNT

Banned
YEEESSSSS!!!!

So so true.......Warner was even dissing Hashim Amla about being distracted by the movement in the crowds when SA were over here last, questioning his concentration powers!!.......Hashim friggin Amla FFS. Warner needs to earn his stripes before commenting on players who have achieved so much more than him in the game (which is exactly nothing at this point in time) As and when Warner maintains a +50 average in both forms of the game for any length of time and has won an ICC cricketer of the year award then he can comment on Jonathon Trotts ability against pace, until then STFU already.
Warner is a international player and the press and supporters want to hear what he has to say. He does not have to pass any imaginary averages or score x amount of runs to have a say. He is talked about, slagged off and takes in on the chin like a man, not like some. Who are you to question his qualifications to talk to the media, until you have done something of note then STFU already. 1066 posts and you think you can scold a international batsman, come on.

TNT

Banned
Looks like Warner might be uneducated but he is obviously a lot smarter than the average poster on CW.

fredfertang

Iain O'Brien on BBC Breakfast looking like he's just woken up - hadn't realised he'd had similar problems

Spark

Global Moderator
Warner is a international player and the press and supporters want to hear what he has to say. He does not have to pass any imaginary averages or score x amount of runs to have a say. He is talked about, slagged off and takes in on the chin like a man, not like some. Who are you to question his qualifications to talk to the media, until you have done something of note then STFU already. 1066 posts and you think you can scold a international batsman, come on.
If this is genuinely your attitude then why do you bother posting on forums at all?

benchmark00

Holy ****, how can you people have missed the central point he is trying to make.

Old mate above was saying who is Warner to say something, he hasn't done as much as Trott.

Well if that's your attitude, who the **** are you, how many international runs have you made?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If this is genuinely your attitude then why do you bother posting on forums at all?
I don't think it actually is his attitude; I think he was just parodying those who said Warner wasn't fit to criticise players who had achieved more than him. That very criticism of Warner is rather hypocritical coming from those who have achieved less than him.

benchmark00

I will say, I disagree with TNT in the fact that there's definitely an unspoken rule amongst pros not to question each other's skills in the media, but everything TNT is saying has credence. Actually one of the more well pieced together arguments.