• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW 50 - CricketWeb's view of the top 50 cricketers of all time

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What about doing the top 20-25 on CW via votes (which would get the Bradmans, Tendulkars, Warnes etc. out of it and then everyone does a list for the next 25?
I quite like the proposed format. TBH, Im not sure I would have either Tendulkar or Warne in my to 10 though I have not worked out my list yet.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yep.. count me in.. I don't generally like rating players I haven't seen but since we are voting, I think most of the time the best will out at the best positions.. so count me in.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the idea of secret voting, and (if The Sean can be bothered collating all the data) 50 picks each

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm not that way inclined, but could someone create some sort of online form that automatically links into final analysis spreadsheets or something?

If so, it'd be something for the main site potentially?

bagapath

International Captain
am very interested. any voting. any format is fine. speaking of formats, these are the top 50 test cricketrs or top 50 cricketers irrespective of format?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm not that way inclined, but could someone create some sort of online form that automatically links into final analysis spreadsheets or something?

If so, it'd be something for the main site potentially?
Agreed - would potentially get more votes in that way as well. Or we could go with Sean's proposal that we email it to him and he does all the work, while acting as a filter establishing a basic level of knowledge amongst the voters.

In btw

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the idea of secret voting, and (if The Sean can be bothered collating all the data) 50 picks each
Agreed - would potentially get more votes in that way as well. Or we could go with Sean's proposal that we email it to him and he does all the work, while acting as a filter establishing a basic level of knowledge amongst the voters.

In btw
I'm more than happy to do all the work with regard to collating the votes, which is why if people can be arsed voting for 50 players I'm more than happy to go through them all. I suggested 20-25 because I figured that would get more voters.

Either way, consider me the very willing data collection bitch.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm thinking that those that want to provide a top 50 are more than welcome to - I'll only count their top 25 for the purposes of pointscoring but they can still track how their own 50 compares to the final CW one.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What about doing it in the same way that we did the top 25 batsmen and bowlers. Vote for each position accordingly as we go through it all?
I'd considered that but personally I'd rather do it this way for this particular effort - I like the idea of having a countdown at the end, and the fact that the voting isn't known means that tactical voting will (hopefully) play less of a part.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
am very interested. any voting. any format is fine. speaking of formats, these are the top 50 test cricketrs or top 50 cricketers irrespective of format?
It's for the 50 greatest cricketers overall. My personal ranking will consider Test performances to be by far the dominant criteria, and I think most others will be the same, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Agree with that. There's no reason why people shouldn't take into account Grace's FC record or Sachin's ODI record in formulating their ranking if they want to - we don't need to agree on criteria as the compilation process will do that democratically anyway. No doubt for the majority of us a player's test career is going to be central to their place in their rankings, but the other forms of cricket should be included with whatever weightings people want to give them.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll definitely participate.

It'll be interesting to see how the lists vary from country to country.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll definitely participate.

It'll be interesting to see how the lists vary from country to country.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing - I'm hoping we can get as wide a cross-section of the CW population as possible to make it truly representative.