• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW 50 - CricketWeb's view of the top 50 cricketers of all time

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha I would be reluctant to pick Gavin Hamilton at number 1 if the list was the top Gavin Hamilton's of all time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As we move upwards, it becomes more and more difficult for solo or a couple of votes to rank a player highly. So I think we shouldn't change any thing and let it flow on...

Days of Grace

International Captain
To be honest, I see no problem with guys like Jardine and Flintoff in the 41-50 range, esp. when you consider their respective impacts on arguably, no, not arguably, the two most famous ashes series of all time.

bagapath

International Captain
So why didn't you vote for either of them then?!
well a pakistani fan is definitely more likely to remember miandad among top 25 cricketers of all time. and a young cricket fan is likely to think hayden's numbers are good enough to rank him along truly great players. I am neither...

JBMAC

State Captain
well a pakistani fan is definitely more likely to remember miandad among top 25 cricketers of all time. and a young cricket fan is likely to think hayden's numbers are good enough to rank him along truly great players. I am neither...
Out of curiousity did you include Sohail and Ahmed( think spelling is right)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As I said in the other thread, I think we should have a minimum of 4 or 5 votes per player for a player to be included...

(just my opinion.)
Typical CW, see a result you don't like, then start whining about the method. Could have had a whinge/made a suggestion beforehand. Or you know, if you cared that much, submitted a list yourself.

Massive 8-) to you Pratters

Shri

Mr. Glass
Someone please tell me the list is in this thread somewhere and I missed it by mistake. Just read 24 ****ing pages!:p

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Gilchrist would have been a tough one for me to rank. I remember a few patches in his ODI career where he wasn't making big runs.

But before I was going to say he was ranked too high at number four, I remembered hearing once that when Gilchrist made a century in ODI's, Australia never lost a game. I mean he's like Viv Richards in terms of winning you the game.

I liked it when Michael Holding said that Viv Richards wasn't about making big scores (although he made some big ones against Tony Grieg), he was about winning you the game with the way he scored runs.

Gilchrist... how could you lose when he scored a century? You couldn't.

I still think Mark Waugh at his peak was a better ODI batsman, and maybe Ricky Ponting as well. Gilchrist may have been better over his whole career. Dean Jones? He'd challenge Gilchrist. And Michael Bevan was incredible.

I don't know where to rank Gilchrist among my top five best Australian ODI batsmen. But he certainly stands-out the most, and he won you the game every time. That and his batting in the World Cup finals was phenomenal.

Last edited: