• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oz rumoured to be setting up own version of IPL

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think whether this can be successful partly depends on whether it can be successfully exported overseas. Australian market is too small to warran the money that's being brandied about. However, I hope it works, it'd be nice to have a counterpoint to the BCCI's lunacy.
To add to this point, say matches start at 7pm local time - how accesible is that to viewers in Delhi or Mumbai?

Themer

U19 Cricketer
CA credibility going in three, two, one...

Although on a serious note if this did go ahead it would be significantly more popular with the cricketers than going to the IPL simply for security reason; without wanting to sound derisory of India.

I hope it doesn't happen though. Just as the IPL looks close to collapsing under BCCI heavy handedness and irregularities.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'll die alittle inside if this happens. look at how the IPL is going at the moment? Every season is full of scandals and the majority of the circket public deride it for being poor quality, excessive and boring after the first couple of matches and the final. I really liked australian domestic cricket as it still seemed real and not some fake entertainment tv show. Players should have loyalty to their state and should be working hard to get picked for their country not just bringing the ropes in so players can have a hit and settle for playing hits and giggles cricket. Invest in raising the salaries of players to play test cricket and encourage sides to take that as the focal point of their career. Cricket in australia in general needs more promotion going on, unless i regularly check up on the net i wouldn't have a clue who's playing who when and where and if it's shown on any channel. No wonder noones supporting it they seem to have given up.
There's an article on cricinfo that states that Watson is currently playing for his third state team in Shield cricket. There are players in the IPL who have shown more loyalty to their franchises than this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's an article on cricinfo that states that Watson is currently playing for his third state team in Shield cricket. There are players in the IPL who have shown more loyalty to their franchises than this.
To be fair to Watson, he moved to NSW for family reasons and UIMM, has yet to represent them.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
G,I Joe yes some players move around in the current set up but generally they will only move once or twice in their career and they tend to adopt their new state and live and support it. They also tend to move when their not getting games/have a better chance at making a shot at the australian side not because they are offered more money or forced into a new draft. Theres exceptions to the rule but that's how the current set up seems to me. The players aren't just rocking up for 5 weeks of the year and pretending to care about who their playing for. If the 20/20 sides end up mixed how will this affect the shield sides? will they still be set up as they are now or will they end up with a mixed bunch of players too? Will shield cricket get scrapped :| And the talk of making windows for the Aussie players to actually play in the domestic comp, why can't thet just be done now to help boost popularaity? We used to have the best quality domestic comp in the world!

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He moved to Tasmania to play Shield Cricket. He moved to Queensland because he was homesick. He moved to NSW because his girlfriend's here. In state cricket no-one moves unless there are very strong factors.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'll die alittle inside if this happens. look at how the IPL is going at the moment? Every season is full of scandals and the majority of the circket public deride it for being poor quality, excessive and boring after the first couple of matches and the final. I really liked australian domestic cricket as it still seemed real and not some fake entertainment tv show. Players should have loyalty to their state and should be working hard to get picked for their country not just bringing the ropes in so players can have a hit and settle for playing hits and giggles cricket. Invest in raising the salaries of players to play test cricket and encourage sides to take that as the focal point of their career. Cricket in australia in general needs more promotion going on, unless i regularly check up on the net i wouldn't have a clue who's playing who when and where and if it's shown on any channel. No wonder noones supporting it they seem to have given up.
True...........the IPL now seems like a TV entertainment show with all those cheerleaders dancing about (I really don't like the idea of cheerleaders in cricket).........and really the standard of cricket is quite poor...............I don't know about the general public but I think that the cricket in IPL is of poor quality...........and India seemed to be a better team in T20s before IPL came along (going only by my perception of course)......

brockley

International Captain
I think the kfc cup a more competitive and stable product could out blast the ipl.
Also it goes fior a month unlike ipl,its fresh.
Apart from the players getting big bucks,i can see a lot of money sent back to the juniors.
Wondering how a state team would manage 2 franchises,you think the state association would be the boss of the 2 franchises.
Remember shares are sold,not the overall running.
Could see nsw and vic sides being split in half.They have the talent look at the t20 aussie squad.

Shri

Mr. Glass
True...........the IPL now seems like a TV entertainment show with all those cheerleaders dancing about (I really don't like the idea of cheerleaders in cricket).........and really the standard of cricket is quite poor...............I don't know about the general public but I think that the cricket in IPL is of poor quality...........and India seemed to be a better team in T20s before IPL came along (going only by my perception of course)......
So poor that one side from the IPL came out on top in the Champions League T20.:p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Could see nsw and vic sides being split in half.
That would work fine if these franchises played at Shield level too (which would be a disaster IMO) considering New South Wales and Victoria together supply about 50% of the national and state contracted players, but I don't think it'd work otherwise because players move for Shield opportunities. John Wayne Hastings, Daniel Christian, Michael Hogan etc - these sort of players aren't going to stay in NSW because they get to play T20 cricket for a month every season. And if they leave, they'll play for other franchises' T20 teams, under your system. It'd weaken NSW and Victoria too much to field two teams only for T20.

I think all the players will just sign separate contracts for the T20 season. We might see Adam Voges play Shield cricket for Western Australia and then turn out for Geelong, for example. I don't think these franchises will have player links to state teams.

smash84

The Tiger King
So poor that one side from the IPL came out on top in the Champions League T20.:p
I am not too sure if the standard of cricket even in the Champions League was too high. I was not able to follow it so maybe somebody can shed more light on it.

Some of the matches were quite entertaining but would you really rate the standard of play as quite high????

Flem274*

123/5
I am not too sure if the standard of cricket even in the Champions League was too high. I was not able to follow it so maybe somebody can shed more light on it.

Some of the matches were quite entertaining but would you really rate the standard of play as quite high????
Depends who was playing. The top teams had quite a high standard but the West Indian one, the Sri Lankan one and Central Districts weren't crash hot barring a couple of players per team. CD had their second string quicks out, no Taylor or Oram, and on top of it forgot they were quite good at fielding.

Still hurts.:(

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Well obviously the international T20 are going to have a higher standard....

But I'd rather watch the CL20 than T20 World Cup. I don't actually watch either mind you, but if I had to.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He moved to Tasmania to play Shield Cricket. He moved to Queensland because he was homesick. He moved to NSW because his girlfriend's here. In state cricket no-one moves unless there are very strong factors.
FMD if homesickness is considered a more valid reason for a move than playing a cash rich tournament because it sets you and your family up for life.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I call him moving to INdia coz the IPL is here.. :ph34r:

brockley

International Captain
Starts next season,could see a lot of youngsters playing,good combat to afl.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I'm actually excited about this mainly because I'm not really a fan of the IPL product. This includes the music being played, the ads and the corporatism. I have a feeling this product will appeal to me more. And for the love of god, call a six what it is, a ****ing six.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There will be corporatism and music being played. Where do you think all this money is going to come from?

Probably not ads during the over though, so that will be a good thing. Same with DLF Maximum and whatever