• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oz rumoured to be setting up own version of IPL

Athlai

Not Terrible
But why would Australia bother sharing money with us is my question? If they want to see Taylor, Vettori and Baz play they'll contract those players. We aren't really worth it in all honesty, theoretically we could field a few good teams but we don't bring enough $$$ to the table to make it feasible.

howardj

International Coach
I dunno. I think it could work if they rid themselves of the delusions over how much it'd actually be worth. They'd definitely need regular FTA coverage, all Test players available, a lot of advertising and a consistent schedule but the rumours suggest they'd get all of those.

They'd basically have to market it and treat it like a mini football season with a consistent scheduling of games at certain times on the weekend every week to get people into routine of watching these games in the cricket season. It could work like that IMO. It's certainly not going to work on a scale large enough to justify some of the figures being bandied about though.
Yep, soome of the figures being bandied about are fanciful. What limits the whole franchise concept is that overseas cricket followers are simply not interested in other countries' domestic competition. I mix in cricket circles and am yet to strike one Australian person who has an affection for, who follows, who supports a particular IPL team. And that's what will limit the profitability/success of an Australian version - i.e. only Australians will be interested. And even then, we're talking about team with no history (i.e. Brisbane, Melbourne etc) and teams populated with overseas players who have no affection/history with the team they are playing for. Will Australians identify and support such teams automatically? I think that's an open question.

On another score, T20 by its nature is a monotonous form of the game. If you start saturating the market, I reckon people will turn off very quickly. In my opinion, less is more as far as this form of the game is concerned. Furthermore, let's look at the field evidence of T20. Crowds in Australia for this form of the game have already stagnated as I understand - see reports in today's papers. Second, IPL is not even shown on FTA in Australia such is its limited appeal. Third, even in the home of T20 the teams are averaging $6 million losses.

Look, a T20 competition in Australia, played over four weeks with all the Aussie reps playing will be interesting. But let's not talk in extremes about how T20 is a world-wide phenomenon and how it's widly popular.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
But why would Australia bother sharing money with us is my question? If they want to see Taylor, Vettori and Baz play they'll contract those players. We aren't really worth it in all honesty, theoretically we could field a few good teams but we don't bring enough $$$ to the table to make it feasible.
Exactly, that's why it's not going to happen. I wouldn't mind seeing the winning domestic teams from both countries face off in a trans tasman 3 match cup though. That could work.

I don't think it's very realistic to expect that all our Australian players will be available for this new proposed tournament unless ODI Cricket becomes extinct.

It's just not realistic to think that other countries will not expect Australia to visit them in January or February for International tournaments in that key 5 week period.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Second, IPL is not even shown on FTA in Australia such is its limited appeal.
I agree the comp won't get a real following but this isn't right here, IPL was shown on One which is a FTA channel. Doesn't gain any viewers because most games start at at times ranging from 11:30 to 3 or 4 in the morning.

howardj

International Coach
I agree the comp won't get a real following but this isn't right here, IPL was shown on One which is a FTA channel. Doesn't gain any viewers because most games start at at times ranging from 11:30 to 3 or 4 in the morning.
What I mean is that it wasn't shown on a main FTA channel rather Channel Ten shunted it off to their digital channel most likely knowing that it wouldn't rate on their univerasally available main channel.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I just don't understand the need for franchises. At least if you had state teams there would be some sort of history behind the team.

howardj

International Coach
I just don't understand the need for franchises. At least if you had state teams there would be some sort of history behind the team.
I'm wit ya, brudder.

Just that term, franchise, makes them sound like a ****ing McDonald's restaurant rather than a sporting team that you have an affection for and want to follow.

They will never convince me that kids and teens in India will be huddling around their TV sets in the wee small hours to watch Brisbane v Adelaide.

And that's what will need to happen for these teams to be worth anywhere near what they are cliaming.

Frankly, as a Queenslander, I myself will have problems supporting Brisbane (what with no history behind them and with the some of the team made up of imports who have probably never even holidayed here much less lived here).

The orgainisers need to remember what drives a person to follow a team - its history, and that the players have something in common with you (usually residence).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I don't know. Cricket was surveyed as the #1 Sport in Australia in 2007/08 in terms of interest - albeit after a huge ashes series.

We have one rather uninteresting summer and apparently the game is in the dumps? I predict a fairly big revival of test cricket in Australia with England, India and South Africa all coming in the following years.

As long as Cricket Australia get off their backside and actually promote upcoming tours, I think we'll be fine.

Ideally they should talk up these tours as much as possible with the likes of Tendulkar and Sehwag. Steyn as the possible best pace bowler for this generation and so forth. IMO, the public always wants a contest of the best cricketers. Tell them through promotion that the best are visiting, and the crowds will follow

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
The orgainisers need to remember what drives a person to follow a team - its history, and that the players have something in common with you (usually residence).
What about all the very popular franchise sports?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because they want to sell them off, at least a part of it.

And don't talk about history with the T20 and One dayers. How's the history with the Speedblitz Blues? Retravision Warriors?

Corporatisation is necessary unfortunately. And it started in Australia way before the IPL.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The best thing to come of this is the acknowledgement that New South Wales are just far too awesome for one team. We really should have one out of every four teams in the competition given 27% of Australian professional cricketers were born here.

:ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

And don't talk about history with the T20 and ODIs. How's the history with the Speedblitz Blues? Retravision Warriors?

Corporatisation is necessary unfortunately. And it started in Australia way before the IPL.
Oh you're right, I didn't realise there was any history behind NSW or WA, regardless of the format they're playing.

While Corporatism is clearly necessary, people coming to the game and caring are also important. And they won't come and support some random Geelong team.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

And don't talk about history with the T20 and ODIs. How's the history with the Speedblitz Blues? Retravision Warriors?

Sponsored naming rights are a bit different from franchises though, you have to admit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who the **** are NSW?

Can't tell which state the RTA Speedblitz Blues are from. The website says nothing.

Oh wait I just saw the URL, it's NSW.
The team itself is steeped in tradition though, regardless of the name on their website. It'd be a lot different if they changed the teams entirely. I think franchising the teams for T20 could be a good idea but its not analogous to selling partial naming rights.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tradition that if I'm a new fan (which is what this is for), I have no idea about.

If you're a true traditionalist you'll oppose selling off naming rights too. Especially when if I know nothing about Australian state cricket I genuinely will be unable to know who the Speedblitz Blues represent reading their website. It's a disgrace.

The fact is the attempts to corporatise the game in one dayers in Australia have been piss poor. In KFC T20 they were reasonably successful, but there is room for it to make big money.

Last edited: