• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oz rumoured to be setting up own version of IPL

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
There will be corporatism and music being played. Where do you think all this money is going to come from?

Probably not ads during the over though, so that will be a good thing. Same with DLF Maximum and whatever
Well I'm not a fan of the type of music being played over and over, not music in general. And I'm hoping the corporatism will remain outside of the game.

brockley

International Captain
Each team can sell 33 % of its shares,good thing state control.
The articles around suggest sydney and melbourne will get 2 teams.
Shame if canberra misses out they have the players,but maybe not the money.
West sydney and geelong seem strong on getting the 2 franchises.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well I'm not a fan of the type of music being played over and over, not music in general. And I'm hoping the corporatism will remain outside of the game.
Yeah man I hear ya. Watching the SuperKings play became a chore because of that retched chant they play every time a boundary gets hit: S-U-P-E-R-K-I-N-G-S :@

pasag

RTDAS
Haven't been following this too closely, but I'd be surprised if it was anything other than a mild success. I don't think the reaction to Twenty20 cricket in this country warrants it too much, but it's worth a try nonetheless. I also had to laugh that if this is CA's ploy to gain independence from the IPL, selling teams to Indian conglomerates is a great first step :laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
Really seems like a desperate attempt to try to milk the cash cow that doesnt really exist with the demographic. Also, WTF is the point of having 2 teams from Sydney and Melbourne? That has to go down as one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. They could so easily have played with 6 teams with the top 2 going into the finals. It would shorten the tournament as well, instead of having to see a Sydney vs Sydney game.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Should just make it 6 Aussie teams plus Auckland and Wellington. Gives them a bigger market and talent base too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would a North Island and South Island side in the competition, with the states/regions in New Zealand having a stake in their respective franchises, thus getting a stake in the revenue generated, be an idea worth considering?

Howsie

International Captain
Perhaps, but with two teams only 22 (30 tops) players will play during that time period, what are the other 40 odd domestic players suppose to do? Play club cricket for close to two months?

Unless they allowed all the domestic teams in New Zealand in it just wouldn't work imo.

Flem274*

123/5
Would a North Island and South Island side in the competition, with the states/regions in New Zealand having a stake in their respective franchises, thus getting a stake in the revenue generated, be an idea worth considering?
North Island and South Island would be too good.:ph34r:

In all seriousness, maybe, though things will be skewed a bit because the North Island will have some insane depth (4 sides and most of the Black Caps to choose from) and the South Island would have just the two, and neither Otago or Canterbury are as strong as they once were.

Depending on when it was held, the top two teams from the HRV Cup would be the best idea, otherwise you're looking at a ridiculously stacked North Island side. To give an idea, Jamie How, who scored runs for fun in the CL, might not make the North Island side.

If you could get the teams to agree to teaming up, three NZ sides would do it. Auckland/ND, CD/Wellington, and the South Island would make for three strong teams with reasonable bench strength.

To give an idea (these teams are made up on the go and don't neccessarily represent who they would pick, nor do they include overseas players):

Auckz/ND: Watling, Guptill, Williamson, Styris, Marshall, Vettori, McGlashan, Adams, Mills, Southee, Arnel

CD/Welly: Ryder, How, Sinclair, Taylor, Oram, Franklin, van Wyk, Diamanti, Gillespie, Mason, McKay (Patel ****s off:ph34r:).

South Island: McCullum, Redmond, Fulton, Broom, Stewart, Anderson, Young, McCullum, Butler, McSkimming, Wagner, Martin

Flem274*

123/5
North Island and South Island would be too good.:ph34r:

In all seriousness, maybe, though things will be skewed a bit because the North Island will have some insane depth (4 sides and most of the Black Caps to choose from) and the South Island would have just the two, and neither Otago or Canterbury are as strong as they once were.

Depending on when it was held, the top two teams from the HRV Cup would be the best idea, otherwise you're looking at a ridiculously stacked North Island side. To give an idea, Jamie How, who scored runs for fun in the CL, might not make the North Island side.

If you could get the teams to agree to teaming up, three NZ sides would do it. Auckland/ND, CD/Wellington, and the South Island would make for three strong teams with reasonable bench strength.

To give an idea (these teams are made up on the go and don't neccessarily represent who they would pick, nor do they include overseas players):

Auckz/ND: Watling, Guptill, Williamson, Styris, Marshall, Vettori, McGlashan, Adams, Mills, Southee, Arnel

CD/Welly: Ryder, How, Sinclair, Taylor, Oram, Franklin, van Wyk, Diamanti, Gillespie, Mason, McKay (Patel ****s off:ph34r:).

South Island: McCullum, Redmond, Fulton, Broom, Stewart, Anderson, Young, McCullum, Butler, McSkimming, Wagner, Martin
The problem of course, is they have to agree to team up. Teaming up with Wellington...:sleep:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I just named Wellington because it'd be city based franchises and Wellington is among the top two biggest cities in Kiwiland. Rearrange the catchment areas however you want to accomodate them, you ****s, I don't care :p

Flem274*

123/5
I just named Wellington because it'd be city based franchises and Wellington is among the top two biggest cities in Kiwiland. Rearrange the catchment areas however you want to accomodate them, you ****s, I don't care :p
By the time the BCCI is finished, your hometown might be applying to join this league.:ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well actually Christchurch is possibly bigger than Wellington.

Wouldn't mind a North and South NZ team. Wellington possibly being South.

Auck/ND/CD

Guptill, How, Sinclair, Taylor, Styris, Williamson, Oram, Hopkins (wk), Vettori, Mills, Southee
Plenty of players close to this team and I'd say it'd be pretty strong, very competitive with the Aussies.

Well/Cant/Ot
Ryder, McCullum (wk), Fulton/Cumming, Broom/Merchant, Franklin, Stewart/Broom, Woodcock/Anderson a bowling attack of NcCullum and bugger all else.
This one is a bit weaker and probably wouldn't be all that competitive.

Last edited: