• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
no he very clearly doesn't. and if you are arguing the difference between her and other greats of the game is analogous to bradman and other greats in cricket, it becomes even more ludicrous and your argument completely falls apart.

i know, which is why setting aside my considerable contempt for her as a person, i agreed that she was a great player.

yes and theirs stack up against hers as well and all the ones i mentioned maintained those stats over a much longer period...
Bradman only played in 2 countries with 75% of his matches against one opponent and the balance against minnows

Lots of holes

Court dominated tennis for more than a decade and also made time to have 2 kids plus a 2 year retirement during her career

Lots of things to criticise her for but her record is not one of them

social

Was she always a church-going whack job? Or is this something she embraced when she left the sport? I guess it's hard to know as it probably wasn't something that was reported on when she was playing tennis.

She is certainly in the running for having the best name for a tennis player. Tennys Sandgren up there too, and funnily enough, also a bit of a nutter going on what he's said recently. Has there been any research done into the mental health effects of naming your child after elements of the sport they end up playing?
A nutter going back to the 60s

Her views weren’t regarded as being that extreme back then but, unlike most, she’s never changed

Shady Slim

International Coach
What he doesn’t say is more revealing

Basically dismisses her record before 1968

However, Court won 8 of the first 9 open era slams

BuT sHe WaSn’T tHe BeSt:laugh:
entirely fair, as i said i don't necessarily agree with the whole thing but was just posting for a different PoV

i think from what i've read, she is a better case than bradman is for a "olde athlete whose raw statistical achievements may be somewhat vitiated by the quality of competition at the time", but still isn't exactly a definite case of that phenomena (Honus Wagner eg comes to mind)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think from what i've read, she is a better case than bradman is for a "olde athlete whose raw statistical achievements may be somewhat vitiated by the quality of competition at the time", but still isn't exactly a definite case of that phenomena (Honus Wagner eg comes to mind)
she was clearly way ahead of the competition of her time and was the best ever at that point, the biggest difference is bradman is such a statistical freak that he is still miles ahead of anyone who has played since then (and it is pretty clear that no one will even come close to emulating him) while there are enough players after court who have had comparable achievements against arguably stronger competition for much longer periods...

Niall

International Coach
Are we all excited about the Casper Ruud era of domination we are going to enter once Rafa and Novak vanish?

Please speed up some of the courts, we don't need Opelka winning everything, but variety is the spice of life!

Shady Slim

International Coach
she was clearly way ahead of the competition of her time and was the best ever at that point, the biggest difference is bradman is such a statistical freak that he is still miles ahead of anyone who has played since then (and it is pretty clear that no one will even come close to emulating him) while there are enough players after court who have had comparable achievements against arguably stronger competition for much longer periods...
there is where i'd say i land too

finding anil and i are agreeing on a lot more lately... i love it, but think it might be good for Donald Trump...

Son Of Coco

Are we all excited about the Casper Ruud era of domination we are going to enter once Rafa and Novak vanish?

Please speed up some of the courts, we don't need Opelka winning everything, but variety is the spice of life!
Maybe this is why Kyrgios has started taking his tennis more seriously. He saw Ruud was next in line and thought "**** no!".

I get the feeling they are not best friends.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

it's a wonder your fingers didn't go limp or numb or something while you tried to type out that absurd jumble of words...

Niall

International Coach
it's a wonder your fingers didn't go limp or numb or something while you tried to type out that absurd jumble of words...
World number one if he reaches the final and does not play Alcarez.

Not sure what that says about the men's tour, but it aint good. :detective

Niall

International Coach
Odd performance this from NK, clearly not feeling 100% but 1-1 each.

Not sure Ruud will be to concerned with either of these 2 in a semi final.

Niall

International Coach
That Iga v Pegula match was absolutely rotten, in an ideal world both girls would have lost.

Not sure what to make of Iga , was poor last match also but ultimately in the semi final against a lass she loves to play so all good.