• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Evermind

International Debutant
It's not "random" though - the players being replaced do really need to go.
I think this only works if you have proven and significant bench strength.

What're they gonna do now? Bring in 2 more bowlers to replace Harris and Bollinger and Johnson and Hilfenhaus? And what if they don't perform?

Sometimes, when you know that you don't have good bench strength, you just gotta grit your teeth and go with what you have. Especially when it's Johnson, who you know can run through any lineup in the world on his day. Hell, go back to Brett Lee and Stuart Clark - they're light years ahead of this lot. I don't think it's time to experiment and mix and match in the middle of your most important series.

I still can't believe people want Ponting to be dropped - reminds me of the time people were calling for Tendulkar's head. Australia are behaving like India in terms of selection now.

Ruckus

International Captain
Don't understand. :confused:

What does Ricky want him there for? Is he a master tactician or something? If it's his bowling that's useful, why not play another batting allrounder rather than a batsman?

Is North blackmailing him?
Yeah I honestly have no idea, but it is clear that there is some bias towards North for whatever reason, be it personal or otherwise. Maybe Hilditch is dating North's mum, who knows...

Jayzamann

International Regular
Pretty compelling post made about North being in the top of an especially short stack of domestic cricketers within his age range, and that maintaining his spot in the side will pay dividends when the mid-30s players all retire or are squeezed out eventually.

Forget who made it, but I was browsing on my phone and cbf'd replying when I read it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What're they gonna do now? Bring in 2 more bowlers to replace Harris and Bollinger and Johnson and Hilfenhaus? And what if they don't perform?

Sometimes, when you know that you don't have good bench strength, you just gotta grit your teeth and go with what you have. Especially when it's Johnson, who you know can run through any lineup in the world on his day. Hell, go back to Brett Lee and Stuart Clark - they're light years ahead of this lot. I don't think it's time to experiment and mix and match in the middle of your most important series.
Why would we need to replace Harris?

Our bench strength is very limited when our bench only has 3 or 4 seats on it.

Ruckus

International Captain
Pretty compelling post made about North being in the top of an especially short stack of domestic cricketers within his age range, and that maintaining his spot in the side will pay dividends when the mid-30s players all retire or are squeezed out eventually.
I don't get that at all though, because North is 31, and Watson and Clarke are both 29. Those guys have been playing test cricket (especially Clarke) longer than North anyway, so what would 2 years of pure 'age experience' actually provide? Furthermore, seeing as though the older guys like Ponting and Hussey will still be around probably for another year at least, wouldn't it be better to bring in some new players now so they can learn from those guys?

Evermind

International Debutant
Why would we need to replace Harris?

Our bench strength is very limited when our bench only has 3 or 4 seats on it.
Because he has done just as poorly as Hilfenhaus and Johnson. So have Siddle and Bollinger. Why does Harris keep his spot, when H and J had to lose it?

That's not my logic, that's Aussie selector logic, if they are to be consistent.

andyc

Yeah, with Haddin and Watson cementing their places alongside Clarke, the experience North provides isn't really needed, especially as Johnson will (hopefully) also be there for the future.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, with Haddin and Watson cementing their places alongside Clarke, the experience North provides isn't really needed, especially as Johnson will (hopefully) also be there for the future.
Among the fringe players, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, Harris, Siddle are all 26-30 too.

Redbacks

International Captain
Because he has done just as poorly as Hilfenhaus and Johnson. So have Siddle and Bollinger. Why does Harris keep his spot, when H and J had to lose it?

That's not my logic, that's Aussie selector logic, if they are to be consistent.
Harris bowled well.

Similarly Anderson bowled well in Brisbane without reward, but a selector would still have realised the quality of his effort.

Ruckus

International Captain
Among the fringe players, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, Harris, Siddle are all 26-30 too.
And Dougeh.

@evermind, how has Harris done as badly as Johnson and Hilfenhaus? He has been the pick of all the bowlers so far, and actually got some decent figures considering it was a road.

Son Of Coco

That wouldn't be consistent though. They didn't drop our best bowler from the First Test...why would they do it after the 2nd?

If you think he did as poorly as the Hilf and Johnson I can only assume you weren't watching...actually, even if you weren't watching and only looked at the stats...he still looks better.

The reason he keeps his spot is because he bowled relatively decent lines most of the time, took two wickets, and was our best bowler. Johnson did none of those things. There's no comparison between their efforts in the first and second tests.

Redbacks

International Captain
Really want to see some heads roll, yet can't for the life of me think of who would come into the side to make a difference, nor who is really responsible for playing so poorly. I suppose a 1-0 scoreline flatters the fact that the last 6 wickets for England have cost 1,000,000 runs each. Hopelessly crashing on batsmen-friendly conditions is inexcusable as well.
Probably no one. The selectors will be let off possibly by the public for trying to 'win' the ashes rather than go for a rebuild but I think after the series the tough questions will need to be answered.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I don't get that at all though, because North is 31, and Watson and Clarke are both 29. Those guys have been playing test cricket (especially Clarke) longer than North anyway, so what would 2 years of pure 'age experience' actually provide? Furthermore, seeing as though the older guys like Ponting and Hussey will still be around probably for another year at least, wouldn't it be better to bring in some new players now so they can learn from those guys?
I'm as confused as you are. I daresay it was all devil's advocate trying to gain a semblance of an idea as to the thought process of the selectors.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely magnificent effort by the Poms, fair play.

Shades of this game for mine

Am I alone in thinking Broad's not actually such a crucial loss for England with a couple of other tall bowlers on the sidelines?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File

Am I alone in thinking Broad's not actually such a crucial loss for England with a couple of other tall bowlers on the sidelines?
He's not such a crucial loss now that Anderson & Swann are bowling well. But Broad will be missed because he can suddenly have a massive impact (The Oval, Durban, etc) and change the game. This, plus his batting, can't really be matched by any of the reserves.

Aside: Love that scorecard. Hadlee basically won games on his own. :happy:

Last edited:

social

Prediction - a bunch of Oz batsmen to score nice 50s, throw it away when set and lose heavily

Basis - 2 years of this ****[/QUOTE]

Thank you linesmen, thankyou ball boys

Before anyone declares me to be the Nostradamus of cricket, read highlighted section

flibbertyjibber

Probably not in Perth as Tremlett being just as tall can do the same job. Not sure Tremlett will last 3 games back to back though so we may miss Broad later, guess Shahzad can come in though and do a very good job reversing it later in the series.

vcs

He's not such a crucial loss now that Anderson & Swann are bowling well. But Broad will be missed because he can suddenly have a massive impact (The Oval, Durban, etc) and change the game. This, plus his batting, can't really be matched by any of the reserves.

Aside: Love that scorecard. Hadlee basically won games on his own. :happy:
33 wickets at 12 in a 3-match series... :-O

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Before anyone declares me to be the Nostradamus of cricket, read highlighted section
Or, I can point to:

Swann to get 2 - 153

Commentators to remind us 154 times that he is the top ranked spinner in the world
:p

He is clearly the top ranked spinner in the world. You predicted an average of about 76 in the second innings, he ended up with an average of 18.6. Close :D.

No worries, my predictions are much worse.