• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I've noticed this too. That's the worst example, but they generally just give runs away with a lot of balls on the hips and leg-side deliveries that get flicked for one. Can't tie a batsman down.

Ponting doesn't defend properly, he just puts men on the boundaries. I'm not sure whether that came before or after the inaccurate bowling. Bit chicken-and-egg.
Cook's batting charts are a disgraceful indictment of how undisciplined Oz have been in the first 2 tests (virtually nothing down the ground and almost everything square of the wickets)

Virtually everyone in world cricket knows his strengths/weaknesses so I cant believe that Oz dont

The execution has simply been deplorable no matter how flat the decks and how disciplined Cook has been

social

Draw is the most likely result here, in my opinion. Australia will not screw up twice, they will bat much better than they did in the first innings.
Prediction - a bunch of Oz batsmen to score nice 50s, throw it away when set and lose heavily

Basis - 2 years of this ****

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
****'s sake Australia. Cook + Trott partnerships are brutal to watch. Twice in a row is far too much.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cook's batting charts are a disgraceful indictment of how undisciplined Oz have been in the first 2 tests (virtually nothing down the ground and almost everything square of the wickets)

Virtually everyone in world cricket knows his strengths/weaknesses so I cant believe that Oz dont

The execution has simply been deplorable no matter how flat the decks and how disciplined Cook has been
In fairness, Cook's first boundary was a lovely straight drive, although I agree with the rest of the post.

Jacknife

International Captain
Mail is that Dussey is in line to be picked next in place of North

I like Duss and think he's been desperately unlucky not to have won a cap but they should pick Hughes and give the kid an extended run
Yes, to be honest having watched Dussey over in CC, it is amazing he hasn't been given a chance in the test side, considering he averages over 55 in first class cricket and has a similar mental strength to his brother, I bet he wonders what he has to do.

fredfertang

Must admit I'd assumed there must be some "non-cricketing" reason why Hussey jr has never made the full side - has always looked in a different class over here - which North hasn't always done by any means - another one that looks a bit special in the confines of the county game is Cosgrove

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Must admit I'd assumed there must be some "non-cricketing" reason why Hussey jr has never made the full side - has always looked in a different class over here - which North hasn't always done by any means - another one that looks a bit special in the confines of the county game is Cosgrove
I don't know if you read it in the australias 5th and 6th best batsman thread but only 3 batsman have averaged 40 in shield cricket in 08- 09 09-10 and now 10-11. They are Khawaja, Dussey and Cosgrove.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hasn't really been the room for him has there? Australia seem to like the idea of their number 6 being a servicable bowler, given that the last 3 incumbents have been Symonds, Watson and North.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't know if you read it in the australias 5th and 6th best batsman thread but only 3 batsman have averaged 40 in shield cricket in 08- 09 09-10 and now 10-11. They are Khawaja, Dussey and Cosgrove.
Is it just me or is there a missing generation of Australian batsmen?

In the late 90s/early 00s you had guys like Lehmann, Bevan, Law, and even guys like Hayden to an extent who dominated domestic cricket but couldn't break into the Test side. Even the likes of Hussey and Katich dominated FC cricket for years without getting much of a look in.

Now though, if having a stellar FC record is what you'd be looking for, then you'd have a choice of 3 oldies in Dussey, Jacques or Rodgers, or 3 young guns in Khawaja, Hughes and Smith (admittedly I have no idea how Smith has done this season.)

There doesn't seem to be anyone in the age range inbetween who has a FC record that demands inclusion.

fredfertang

Hasn't really been the room for him has there? Australia seem to like the idea of their number 6 being a servicable bowler, given that the last 3 incumbents have been Symonds, Watson and North.
I suppose you must be right, although given he's 33 I'm surprised he's never been given a Test chance through injury or the like at some point - I see he's played more ODI's than I thought, and recently too, so there can't be a sinister reason - which is a shame as I like a good conspiracy theory

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

No, the fact that Trott has been able to rotate the strike so easily when even Bangladesh have been able to stop him scoring and becalm him is the worst thing about the way Australia are bowling.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is it just me or is there a missing generation of Australian batsmen?

In the late 90s/early 00s you had guys like Lehmann, Bevan, Law, and even guys like Hayden to an extent who dominated domestic cricket but couldn't break into the Test side. Even the likes of Hussey and Katich dominated FC cricket for years without getting much of a look in.

Now though, if having a stellar FC record is what you'd be looking for, then you'd have a choice of 3 oldies in Dussey, Jacques or Rodgers, or 3 young guns in Khawaja, Hughes and Smith (admittedly I have no idea how Smith has done this season.)

There doesn't seem to be anyone in the age range inbetween who has a FC record that demands inclusion.
Yeah no one absolutely demands it but the likes of Cam White, Mark Cosgrove, Shaun Marsh, Adam Voges, George Bailey, Andrew McDonald are all in that in between age as is Clarke and Watson.

stephen

Yeah no one absolutely demands it but the likes of Cam White, Mark Cosgrove, Shaun Marsh, Adam Voges, George Bailey, Andrew McDonald are all in that in between age as is Clarke and Watson.
Of that list I am not sure that any are test match standard with the exception of McDonald and perhaps Cosgrove. Certainly none of the others are in a hurry to beat the door down.

stephen

I didn't catch all of the day's play, but what upset me the most is that every time I did watch Australia were leaking runs by either bowling on the pads or full and wide outside off stump. There did not seem to be the discipline in the bowling attack that we would have liked. This is with the exception of Rhino, who was excellent whenever I was watching.

Tomorrow's play had better be different or the cricket will lose a LOT of casual fans this summer (a few of my friends have stopped bothering to watch it).

social

No, the fact that Trott has been able to rotate the strike so easily when even Bangladesh have been able to stop him scoring and becalm him is the worst thing about the way Australia are bowling.
I think it's just as worrying that Cook was on the verge of being dropped and we've played him into form of his life via a diet of full balls on middle and short balls outside off

It's tempting to conclude that Oz have done no research on either batsman at all but given that isnt the case, it speaks really poorly of their tactical acumen and/or performance

That's not to take anything away from Cook and Trott as they have been fantastically disciplined but we've played rigth into their hands IMO

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Of that list I am not sure that any are test match standard with the exception of McDonald and perhaps Cosgrove. Certainly none of the others are in a hurry to beat the door down.
I think Shaun Marsh would do very well if given an opportunity/ I'm sure you'll point to his sub 40 career average and low number of 100s..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's my point though - UIMM none of the players you've mentioned have records that demand inclusion. For all the moaning about Marcuss North, there's no-one of an equivelantish age who's not already in the team who can point to a superior record and feel hard done by. Dussey has a case, but at 33 he doesn't represent a long term solution. And with the selectors seemingly reluctant to take a punt on young talent, North isn't the most illogical choice.

social

I think Shaun Marsh would do very well if given an opportunity/ I'm sure you'll point to his sub 40 career average and low number of 100s..
High quality and big talent that is finally starting to show some consistency

Ranks above Ferguson MO

social

That's my point though - UIMM none of the players you've mentioned have records that demand inclusion. For all the moaning about Marcuss North, there's no-one of an equivelantish age who's not already in the team who can point to a superior record and feel hard done by. Dussey has a case, but at 33 he doesn't represent a long term solution. And with the selectors seemingly reluctant to take a punt on young talent, North isn't the most illogical choice.
I wouldnt rank North amongst the top 10 bats in Oz plus he's had his chance and, IMO, blown it - his shot in the first innings was nothing short of a disgrace in the terms of the team's and his own predicament

Despite his technical frailties, White would be a far better choice

The guy has compiled a very good record over the past few years, is a brilliant slips fieldsman and, most importantly, performs under pressure