• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's bizarre, I've generally ranted and ranted against Harmison having anything to do with England ever again, but I'm actually starting to think that replacing Broad with Harmison at Lord's might not actually be the worst call in history.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sometimes aussie I think you live in a parallel universe to the rest of us, a universe where Steve Harmison and Michael Owen are still the best in the country at what they do

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Harmison and Onions in for Panesar and Broad, me thinks. No changes for Australia (allthough Clark for Hauritz still wouldn't be bad).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd line up like this

Strauss
Cook
Anderson
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Broad
Onions

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sometimes aussie I think you live in a parallel universe to the rest of us, a universe where Steve Harmison and Michael Owen are still the best in the country at what they do
Haa, where did i ever suggest any of this?

All im saying is that Harmo based on how he bowled in the warm-up game, if Lord's isn't flat, should play ahead of Onions.

Onions is the bowling equivalent to Bopara, ENG dont need to pick another player HOPING he doesn't get exposed. The role Onions would play in the 5-man attack as the stock bowler - Broad could do. Harmo potentially can be another series wicket-taking option, thus hopefully allowing Freddie to be more of an attacking bowler for the rest of the series.

On Owen all i ever said is that he was not a washed up old man, contratry to public opinion & to date the most successful coach in English football shares that view as well. So i like this universe ATM..

Matt79

Global Moderator

Stick him on ignore. I've used ignore properly for the first time this series and blocked out half a dozen of the predictably annoying posters and it's great. Makes hanging here so much better.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not just because Onions has had a decent start vs WI means he MUST replace Monty. Based on how he & Harmo bowled in the warm-up before the 1st test, he should play in 2nd test. Plus IMO Sidebottom also does offer a more likely wicket-taking option (presuming the bowling conditions for the series improves) than Onions.
Based on what exactly? Can't be his form of the last 12 months (and more importantly this season)

Onions should still be ahead of Harmison for me as he's been outbowling him all season, but both are so far ahead of Sidebottom that if he gets in there needs to be a serious injury crisis IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I seriously, seriously hope I'm wrong in having a nagging inkling that we'll get the "we've got to stick with the same team after that superb last-ditch performance, because it really built team character", or similar.

Either way, the great escape should avoid any knee-jerk reactions. If there's any change, I can't conceive it being anything other than Onions in, MSP out, to make the side that (still) should have played at Sophia Gardens.

pskov

International 12th Man
England to take three wickets. Katich run out, Hughes laughed out and Ponting retired amused.
Only for England to win the final three tests to take the urn back with a 3-1 victory, Punter then realising that retiring in the middle of an Ashes series probably wasn't the brightest idea.

howardj

International Coach
Never ever pick your team based on cliches. People saying you can't make too many changes or it will mean that 'you're panicking' or it will be a 'knee-jerk reaction'. They're just cliches.

Fact is, England need to make changes. At a minimum, Panesar and Broad go, and Onions and Harmison come in.

To label that as panic is to overcomplicate what is fairly simple - ie picking your best XI.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never ever pick your team based on cliches. People saying you can't make too many changes or it will mean that 'you're panicking' or it will be a 'knee-jerk reaction'. They're just cliches.

Fact is, England need to make changes. At a minimum, Panesar and Broad go, and Onions and Harmison come in.

To label that as panic is to overcomplicate what is fairly simple - ie picking your best XI.
Eng are in a catch 22 situation with Broad - he should be replaced by Harmy as they need someone to take wickets BUT they also need Broad's runs

Same goes for Swann

Oz batsmen generally feast on conventional off-spinners and I find it very hard to believe that he's got anything to trouble us with his bowling. However, Eng desperately need his runs

I suppose the selectors are going to have to decide whether they are going to risk defeat in the name of victory or go safety first

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Really don't think we should replace Broad, who's had one bad match, with Harmison who had a million bad matches. Give Broad this test, and then if there's still a problem we can call up Harmy.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Swann's a spinner and his a better batsman then Broad, so really, Broad should be dropped for Harmison. I can't see Onions giving our batsman any trouble either, so maybe Broad should keep his place and Harmison come in for Monty.

If I was Australia I'd probably make the hard decision and drop Hauritz. In the first innings, he had 1/90 and picked up the last 2 wickets and in the last innings, all of his wickets came from assistance from the pitch and you'd think 2nd time round that England will treat Hauritz with a little more respect, which will lessen his affectiveness. Lords is generally pretty flat and won't offer much for spin, so I'd probably bring in Stuart Clark.

inbox24

International Debutant
Hopefully both teams will be unchanged and we'll win this time. From Australia's point of view they shouldn't drop Broad particularly, although Panesar might get the boot, hopefully not for Harmison though. Definitely rather face the onions.