• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnson in particular had a puzzling match. His bowling yesterday was at times unbelievably bad. Yes he took wickets and should have had Broad first ball, but I'm sure he can bowl a huge amount better than that.
I think this is an important point - I can't believe that Midge will bowl that poorly again and trying to be glass-half-full I reckon it's promising that he was absolute gash for a lot of that Test and still got five wickets. If he gets his line right he could be absolutely devastating.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
"After watching the 1st Test in England, it's laughable to see Hughes already being written off by some English commentators and journalists. The South Africans did the same after the first Test, saying that he can't play the short ball, that he backs away and that his no Matthew Hayden. Hughes made the South Africans eat their words. In the next Test, not only did he smash 115 in the first innings, but he backed that up with 160 in the 2nd, becoming the YOUNGEST cricketer in HISTORY to hit two centuries in the same Test. It is only inevitable and a matter of time before Hughes makes his mark in England. Before the Ashes is over, Hughes is going to make every Englishmen eat every single one of their words and particullary make Ian Botham choke on his beef for ever doubting the credibility of one, Phillip Hughes."

YouTube - Hughes will destroy England; England doesn't know what they're confronted with

Classic. :laugh:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope that's exactly what they do - I'm there on days 4 and 5 so the longer the match goes on the better!
Yeah I am there on day 5, just pray and hope England bat a bit better this time around. I expect England to play a little better this time, they are a mediocre side rather than a terrible one. Still fully expect them to losse the series of course.

pasag

RTDAS
England are pretty stuffed if Fred is out. Bowling will lose it's main strength and his replacement, Bell you'd imagine, is poo.

social

Cant believe that people are reacting with surprise to Mitch's performance

Ladies, that is how he bowls 9/10 times and the only thing that was different was that he was slightly down in pace

Johnson is generally quick, tireless, bowls threatening deliveries as often as crap but doesnt bowl at the stumps all that much

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Reckon Harmison's pace and bounce is rather overated myself. Broad is pretty much as fast as Harmison, who can only bowl at 90+mph for 1 or 2 spells at the max before going down to low to mid 80s, Broad can keep up 90mph for 3 or 4 spells. Don't really rate Broad all that much as a bowler, but he is probably just as likely to get wickets throughout a match as Harmison is.

social

Reckon Harmison's pace and bounce is rather overated myself. Broad is pretty much as fast as Harmison, who can only bowl at 90+mph for 1 or 2 spells at the max before going down to low to mid 80s, Broad can keep up 90mph for 3 or 4 spells. Don't really rate Broad all that much as a bowler, but he is probably just as likely to get wickets throughout a match as Harmison is.
Broad is consistenly quicker than Harmy but doesnt pose as great a wicket-taking threat

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Harmison poses a wicket taking threat for about 10 overs and then when the ball becomes softer and the going gets tough, he just bowls military medium and sprays it around and therefore doesn't pose one anymore.

social

Harmison poses a wicket taking threat for about 10 overs and then when the ball becomes softer and the going gets tough, he just bowls military medium and sprays it around and therefore doesn't pose one anymore.
So better than Broad's performance in the first test then

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm, Broad bowled pretty poorly all test, but at least he shows intent all the way through his spell. Put it this way, I'd rather have Broad bowling quickly and with intent all through the day, posing a medium to low wicket threat than Harmison posing a high wicket threat early on and then just getting clobbered. Not sure I'd pick Broad anyway TBH, but I certainly wouldn't pick Harmison.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sigh, always throws us out of balance when Fred is injured. I thought one of our advantages was that we had five bowlers and would tire less over the series, but I don't really think we can manage Broad and Swann at 7&8. Even with God coming in at 9.

tooextracool

International Coach
I seriously, seriously hope I'm wrong in having a nagging inkling that we'll get the "we've got to stick with the same team after that superb last-ditch performance, because it really built team character", or similar.

Either way, the great escape should avoid any knee-jerk reactions. If there's any change, I can't conceive it being anything other than Onions in, MSP out, to make the side that (still) should have played at Sophia Gardens.
There is absolutely no chance of England fielding the same XI from Cardiff at Lords. The only chance of such a scenario happening would be if Lords ends up being a raging turner, which I dont think has ever been the case.

tooextracool

International Coach
To have a hope of competing we need to play our best 4 seamers. Onions, Harmison, Flintoff and Anderson.

Yep, I agree. We talk about how we need to be aggressive and hit the Aussies hard yet we continually pick lesser players for their perceived greater batting ability. I would pick those 4 and Swann for the next test assuming Flintoff is fit of course.

tooextracool

International Coach
Broad's better at bowling than Harmison. .
No matter what way you look at it, there is absolutely no evidence of it. Broad may end up becoming better than Harmison, but at the moment, his record is considerably worse and even at best he is a mere support bowler to Anderson and co. England need firepower, and whilst I think Harmison will struggle away from home, he is a better attacking option in England than Broad at the moment.