• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair few tests to come before this series for both teams right?
Yes Jono, we know you hate it when the Ashes gets puts on a pedestal :p

Well I disagree with your assessments of him at both Edgbaston and Headingley, but I doubt either of us will change our viewpoints so best leave it there. :)
Ha, yeah, fair, nearly fell off my chair though, never expected that to be your response :p

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Well, England also play 4 games against Bangladesh but especially the ones in England are unlikely to be of any use to anyone and of course none of them really deserve Test status.
Agreed with the first part... but would your views change if England get beaten in Bangladesh regarding the second bit? It might just be CW romanticising a bit, but there seems to be a genuine feeling that Bangladesh have an outside chance of taking a Test.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agreed with the first part... but would your views change if England get beaten in Bangladesh regarding the second bit? It might just be CW romanticising a bit, but there seems to be a genuine feeling that Bangladesh have an outside chance of taking a Test.
I think over the past year, particularly at home, Bangladesh have shown that you can't just rock up and expect to win a Test against them.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As excited as I am about the prospect of flying halfway round the world for this one, let's worry about the three series we have beforehand first.

Losing to Bangladesh if we don't focus.
CW meet up for the Pickup World Tour, one feels..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hell, Aus vs Ind is pretty consistantly better than Aus vs Eng. And probably Eng vs. Ind is better. SA vs. Eng was better, and so was SA vs. Aus (in Aus at least).

Maybe Bang vs. Eng = Aus vs. Eng. :ph34r:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hell, Aus vs Ind is pretty consistantly better than Aus vs Eng. And probably Eng vs. Ind is better. SA vs. Eng was better, and so was SA vs. Aus (in Aus at least).
The last 2 Ashes series have been (in contrasting ways) pretty poor but the Ashes is where it's at for me. Eng v India and England v SA don't come close even though the cricket might actually be better. I know it's boring to be so Ashes-obsessed but I can't help it. And at least there will be some spectators in the grounds which is so often not the case for Tests elsewhere in the world.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The last 2 Ashes series have been (in contrasting ways) pretty poor but the Ashes is where it's at for me. Eng v India and England v SA don't come close even though the cricket might actually be better. I know it's boring to be so Ashes-obsessed but I can't help it. And at least there will be some spectators in the grounds which is so often not the case for Tests elsewhere in the world.
I think that's why I was more disappointed in the 09 loss than the 05 cheated-out-of-it. :ph34r:

England in 05 played really well, mint-assisted or not. I genuinely thought they didn't need to play that well to beat us in 09.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah 09 was a very strange series and felt a little flat even winning it.

Bound to lose this series but still looking forward to it, we will win a test.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think that's why I was more disappointed in the 09 loss than the 05 cheated-out-of-it. :ph34r:

England in 05 played really well, mint-assisted or not. I genuinely thought they didn't need to play that well to beat us in 09.
09 was just two pathetic teams battling it out for the wooden spoon.

Anyway, I predict 6-0 in favour of Straya

andyc

Am pretty pumped for this series tbh, surprised at those who aren't. Will definitely be a better standard than this summer, and while I expect Australia to dominate at least when we do it'll feel better than beating a hapless Pakistani side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has been said before; whether it proves to be pie-in-the-sky or a random bet paying dividends awaits to be seen.

I've said it before - nothing will change my views on Bangladesh apart from them becoming consistently competetive. One victory does not equal that.

pasag

RTDAS
To be honest, at this stage I'd get a lot more excited playing India or Australia. Maybe I'm a bit jaded after a long summer, but cbf with England at the moment. I'm even more excited about the Pakistan series for its uniqueness. Maybe that'll change closer to the date or if/when Beefy says something stupid in the press.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Am pretty pumped for this series tbh, surprised at those who aren't. Will definitely be a better standard than this summer, and while I expect Australia to dominate at least when we do it'll feel better than beating a hapless Pakistani side.
Yeah I'm still excited for it. I didn't get to go last time because all the tickets were sold out.

andyc

To be honest, at this stage I'd get a lot more excited playing India or Australia. Maybe I'm a bit jaded after a long summer, but cbf with England at the moment. I'm even more excited about the Pakistan series for its uniqueness. Maybe that'll change closer to the date or if/when Beefy says something stupid in the press.
:huh:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Aussies will win the ashes....provided they can direct their new fast bowling brigade in the right direction.

IMO it will be all about English batsmen vs. Australian bowlers...or its all about Strauss/KP vs. Johnson, Bollinger, Siddle....don't if Ryan is in the test side but he has the test quality bowling....

About Pakistan.....i don't think i will be interested in watching their tests....its too much torture....