• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
@scottbstyris · 2h 2 hours ago
Hard luck to @kylemills79 who just missed out on the Fastest delivery Award in tonight's T20 vs Pakistan #needtoruninquicker;)
Haha it's not bad...it's also delivered by a guy who started his career as a seamer and ended up a batsman who ran in 30m and bowled 110km cutters. Weight obviously being a mitigating circumstance

Howsie

International Captain
If only Terry Mills had sewn his oats a couple hundred km north or south, we'd be having a different discussion.

But anyway, if we back our batsmen to score 300+ then Mill is your man. If he's expected to defend 200 odd, he's not. I'm going to presume it'll end up being the latter, and therefore no fault can be attributed to him.

And yes he runs faster standing still than going forward, but he's either at fine leg or in the ring in power play/death overs. That's not costing you a dime.
Which is my main concern. ODI cricket has changed in the last few years, the first 10-15 overs isn't about restriction anymore, it's about taking wickets. I want bowlers capable of taking two/three wickets with the new ball.

Niall

International Coach
I see! I didn't mean to nitpick on spelling. I simply wasn't aware there was a Pakistani player with Haris as a given name (which makes me wonder: Is it a proper/original Pakistani name, or an English one?). Anyway: impressive FC batting record! Makes one wonder why he hasn't been able to perform at international level, at some earlier part in his career.
No problem!:)

He has had a few sporadic appearances in limited overs cricket, but never any sort of run. He has serious fitness issues as well. The first class stats are impressive but as he is a middle order bat and they have invested in Azhar and Shafiq, he is going to have to wait for one of them to seriously lose form or Younis or Misbah to retire.

I reckon he play one or two ODI's, I think we will know a little more about him then, domestic numbers can be misleading with some players.

Impressed with the depth NZ showed in the bowling depths, guys like Milne and Henry look very promising. With Milne, is 4 day and test cricket an option or would you want him to focus on limited overs cricket for now?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Impressed with the depth NZ showed in the bowling depths, guys like Milne and Henry look very promising. With Milne, is 4 day and test cricket an option or would you want him to focus on limited overs cricket for now?
He plays 4 day cricket but he's too injury prone at the moment. He probably needs another 2 years. It's tempting though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Who is this guy Brownlie? He has had a terrible start to his T20 international career, six runs in five games including three ducks.
He's the Brendan Nash of New Zealand. Ideally suited to middle order long format matches, but that said his List A record is not terrible. He can pull a decent short format innings out here and there, but it only serves to do him disservice imo. Really hope he partners Latham in Tests if McCullum shuffles down. Was the only chap who is not the premier WK bat in world cricket to come out of that South African series with any credibility.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hafeez' bowling action illegal. Some serious concerns for Pakistan regarding their bowling lineup now.

Niall

International Coach
Hafeez' bowling action illegal. Some serious concerns for Pakistan regarding their bowling lineup now.

They are doomed, if he does not sort it quickly, and time not on his side with the world cup a few months away.

Afridi will have to play in the top seven which is concerning for obvious reasons.

Their was tentative talk about Ali, Bhatti and even Tanvir as all rounders over the last few years, but none of those three have impressed for that long of a period to make that a realistic option.

Malik could sneak back in down the road, but his action is filthy as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I said ages ago, I don't think Hafeez really gains much out of his kink; it's a lazy technical fault rather than an advantage in his case, and therefore I don't think he'll lose much effectiveness if he can fix it up before the World Cup.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson and Guppers out of the first ODI.

Black Caps backup cast in World Cup acid test | Stuff.co.nz

Essentially, New Zealand's World Cup 15 is decided, with fast bowler Adam Milne the most likely contender to force his way in with some barnstorming performances in the next fortnight. All the current squad will have been named in New Zealand's preliminary 30, the deadline for which was yesterday.

Hesson and co-selector Bruce Edgar announce their final 15 on January 8, along with several designated backup players should injury strike. That looks the most likely destination for Anton Devcich, Dean Brownlie, Matt Henry and Milne, if he doesn't bash down the selection door.
Then presumably the World Cup 15 will be:

Guptill, Williamson, Taylor, McCullum, Latham, Anderson, Neesham, Ronchi, Vettori, NcCullum, Southee, Boult, Mills, McClenaghan, Milne/Henry

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan still have decent options in the bowling department so I am not concerned about that. His primary suit was supposedly his batting which was just awful. As pure bowlers we can definitely find better bowlers. This might actually be good for us.

I am concerned about our batting though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
As I said ages ago, I don't think Hafeez really gains much out of his kink; it's a lazy technical fault rather than an advantage in his case, and therefore I don't think he'll lose much effectiveness if he can fix it up before the World Cup.
He bowled 5 overs under testing and ever delivery was in the 21-30 degree range of extension.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Haven't watched much of Hafeez and Pakistan before the last month, so on Hafeez's action; I thought he looked OK in test series (although he had already been called in CL so may have been consciously bowling with straighter arm), but looked much worse in the T20 match when varying his pace/delaying.

But my eye has become so numbed to dodgy actions now that they wash over me without much notice ....

brockley

International Captain
Agree Immenso me the same,it became so commonplace.
I sniff when sniff when matches are possibly fixed.
But so many bowlers called its hard,i may not see an off spinner the same again.