• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mills will cost us the World Cup if he plays. He's Chris Martin 2013 all over again.
I can't even begin to count the ways this is the silliest post I've ever seen.

But I'll try.

1) We're about 5th favourite.
2) If we got to the stage where he could 'cost us a World Cup' ie a final, it'd be our first ever
3) As I said, he's gone for seven an over once (having bowled over 3 overs) in five years. No one going at sevens can be accused of costing you a game in 2015.
4) If he's pedestrian in the group stages, drop him
5) He won't be
6) He's Kyle ****ing Mills, the greatest ODI bowler ever to pull on a silver fern

So yeah. Explain again how he's going to cost us a World Cup? Give me an actual scenario, like we score 400 and Shaun Pollock comes back out of retirement and swats 30 off the last over to break SAs choking penchant and our hearts. Then Millsy retires, totally unappreciated and yet still with numbers better than 99.9% better than any ODI player in history.

Howsie

International Captain
This is 2014, not 2008. I don't care what he managed half a decade ago in some meaningless one day games. What's his World Cup record like?

He's 35 years old and well past his best. He struggles to crank it up over 125k these days and can barely get around in the field. He hasn't taken a bag if wickets in years either (which is what I see as important as an opening bowler). I'll take Southee, Boult, Mitch and Henry over him everyday of the week thanks. I'm picking a team for now, not for five years ago.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is 2014, not 2008. I don't care what he managed half a decade ago in some meaningless one day games. What's his World Cup record like?

He's 35 years old and well past his best. He struggles to crank it up over 125k these days and can barely get around in the field. He hasn't taken a bag if wickets in years either (which is what I see as important as an opening bowler). I'll take Southee, Boult, Mitch and Henry over him everyday of the week thanks. I'm picking a team for now, not for five years ago.
Exactly, it's not like we are struggling for handy pace bowlers. And in terms of his legacy Steve refers to, it wasn't long ago that Ricky Ponting showed signs he was getting a bit long in the tooth, that doesn't take away from the fact he's still an all-time great.

Mills is still bowling reasonably well, but seems to have deteriorated slightly over the last 12 months from what I've seen & this just happens to have coincided with NZ suddenly having quite a few good pace options with the ball. This saying nothing about the fact he's a liability in the field, and if we do play Vettori, we certainly can't afford to have two old war horses limping around the park.

Stapel

International Regular
Does anyone have some info on Anton Paul Devcich (who just got a fair bit of luck with that LBW missing the leg stump by a foot)? He's completely unkown to me, yet 29 years old.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does anyone have some info on Anton Paul Devcich (who just got a fair bit of luck with that LBW missing the leg stump by a foot)? He's completely unkown to me, yet 29 years old.
Haha he's a complete hack basically; there's even a thread dedicated to how dire he is. Not the worst T20 player in fairness but opening both the batting and the bowling is well above his station.

Stapel

International Regular
Haha he's a complete hack basically; there's even a thread dedicated to how dire he is. Not the worst T20 player in fairness but opening both the batting and the bowling is well above his station.
Well, he's not having a bad game so far. And his beard can almost compete with those of Moeen and Amla!

Niall

International Coach
Since there is no Harris in either side involded, I feel inclined to ask what you are trying to say here.
Oops.

Only one r.

Haris Sohail, Pakistan middle order chubby of whom a lot expected due to his domestic numbers.

Stapel

International Regular
Oops.

Only one r.

Haris Sohail, Pakistan middle order chubby of whom a lot expected due to his domestic numbers.
I see! I didn't mean to nitpick on spelling. I simply wasn't aware there was a Pakistani player with Haris as a given name (which makes me wonder: Is it a proper/original Pakistani name, or an English one?). Anyway: impressive FC batting record! Makes one wonder why he hasn't been able to perform at international level, at some earlier part in his career.

anil1405

International Captain
Who is this guy Brownlie? He has had a terrible start to his T20 international career, six runs in five games including three ducks.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

If only Terry Mills had sewn his oats a couple hundred km north or south, we'd be having a different discussion.

But anyway, if we back our batsmen to score 300+ then Mill is your man. If he's expected to defend 200 odd, he's not. I'm going to presume it'll end up being the latter, and therefore no fault can be attributed to him.

And yes he runs faster standing still than going forward, but he's either at fine leg or in the ring in power play/death overs. That's not costing you a dime.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
@scottbstyris · 2h 2 hours ago
Hard luck to @kylemills79 who just missed out on the Fastest delivery Award in tonight's T20 vs Pakistan #needtoruninquicker;)