• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with Brownlie is that openers occasionally need to make hundreds to win you games. He won't do that because as soon as a spinner comes on he'll fail. He's better than Devcich but this horses-for-courses thing can be frustrating at times.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Course the other benefit of opening with Latham & Guptill is the left/right combination, unless they are really serious about Devcich as a prospect for the WC :mellow:
yeah.

The only option I'd be ok with is if McCullum wants to resume opening then it's not so bad having Latham at 5. Even then I prefer Baz at 5 and Latham opening.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah we really need devcich to get absolutely ****ed in this series so we can get a proper batsman in there after he becomes unpickable. normally i wouldn't be so dismissive of someone but he's not the greatest bloke either so meh.

Flem274*

123/5
The problem with Brownlie is that openers occasionally need to make hundreds to win you games. He won't do that because as soon as a spinner comes on he'll fail. He's better than Devcich but this horses-for-courses thing can be frustrating at times.
brownlie doesn't mind filthy straight breaks (not saying pakistan bowl those). he dealt with robbie peterson. the six to bring up his hundred was awesome.

it's guys like swann who **** him over.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not the luckiest bat in the world Brownlie is he. So many batsmen get the odd chance early on. I've noticed with Brownlie, any half chance he gives, he's gone!

Flem274*

123/5
Not the luckiest bat in the world Brownlie is he. So many batsmen get the odd chance early on. I've noticed with Brownlie, any half chance he gives, he's gone!
Brownlie's greatest strengths (back foot drives, being able to cut anything marginally on or outside off) are higher risk shots. He looks unstoppable against fast bowlers when he's hitting them well (see his series against Australia, ton against South Africa) but when he's not in nick he'll look reckless and even when he is in nick he'll sometimes get out looking like he's thrown it away.

cnerd123

likes this
Can't wait to see Younis Khan bowl again.

Or maybe it will be some Haris Sohail/Asad Shafiq/Ahmed Shehzad filth.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brownlie's greatest strengths (back foot drives, being able to cut anything marginally on or outside off) are higher risk shots. He looks unstoppable against fast bowlers when he's hitting them well (see his series against Australia, ton against South Africa) but when he's not in nick he'll look reckless and even when he is in nick he'll sometimes get out looking like he's thrown it away.
Yeah, I know how he plays, just commenting on his lack of a little luck in his last few opportunities for the BC's. Saying nothing of his hideous LBW decision the other day.

Niall

International Coach
Its good that he now scores runs and lots of them Safraz, but his glovework has gone to the dogs, utter filth.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dearly hope one day we'll get to see Batswell and Devcich bat together, would be a nightmare come true.