• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think they should call off this Test altogether. I would have to think that players and fans alike are stunned and in no mood to play the match.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Highly surprised that they've suspended play in this test match... I don't want to come across as heartless considering the incident, but this is an international game already in flight that is not directly impacted by the death of Phil Hughes.... it just seems a little too reserved for mine.
Have to disagree entirely, I'm sure the players from both sides figured this is the very least they could do out of respect for the tragedy. Personally, I think it's a wonderful touch.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
When Ben Hollioake was killed, the news broke in the first session, the rest of the day was played out.

I don't know how the teams, especially the England team - and even more so Graham Thorpe, managed to play on that day.

I have had the misfortune to play in a game where someone died. I was captaining the opposition and there was no thought of playing on.

Blocky

Banned
Conversation on RadioSport this morning where a couple of people (including Mark Richardson) wonder if we're going a little far in our mourning here when compared to situations like Ben Holioake, or the murder that happened yesterday in Albany.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can understand that BUT the Hughes incident happened on the field and we have all seen the footage. It has struck home that it could be anyone. Don't know about the Albany incident but lets face it the Hollioake one is slightly different to the Hughes one however tragic it was.

Blocky

Banned
Can understand that BUT the Hughes incident happened on the field and we have all seen the footage. It has struck home that it could be anyone. Don't know about the Albany incident but lets face it the Hollioake one is slightly different to the Hughes one however tragic it was.
That's what Richardson was contesting and then disputing - he said "Had this been a car accident, the sense of tragedy would still be there but it is strongly unlikely that any cricket would be postponed, delayed or cancelled, similar to Ben Holioake" - he also pointed out that there has been previous deaths of cricketers in domestic and club competitions and the world hardly blinked. - Darryn Randall and Ian Folley are two recent examples of first class cricketers who were struck and killed during matches - Randall in a club game, Folley in a first class match.

I think maybe due to the video clips and the sense that this guy was on the cusp of a return to the international side and was very close with a lot of the Aussie crickters makes this feel worse, but it's still an interesting point to be raised, it was almost like Martin Devlin was asking "Are people just going through the motions because they believe they should?"

Antihippy

International Debutant
Especially considering that Ahmed shezad was laid low (though fortunately it was relatively minor) from a similar delivery in this series.

Blocky

Banned
Especially considering that Ahmed shezad was laid low (though fortunately it was relatively minor) from a similar delivery in this series.
Chatfield being clinically killed on the wicket playing a test match and being hospitalised, he was the last wicket out in the first test - the teams all started the second test three days later ( lost days due to rain ) - but notably the bowler who had hit him, and then been completely inconsolable on the field, also played that test. So there is precedent of being as close as you can possibly go to having a death on the field during a test match and the guys playing just a few days later.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I was watching Ramiz and Murgatroyd talking about it this morning and there's a shot of Younis just sitting in the pavillion with a pondering look on his face. It reminded me of something.

I work in an environment where we work machines that can easily hurt our limbs if not careful. I've worked on these machines in different capacities for over 10 years. 3 years ago, one of my coworkers lost the top of his pinkie on his right hand due to an oversight on his part. It's something that could've happened to any one of us. The whole played on the minds of a lot of us and made it tougher to do our jobs for a few days at least.

I think it was a good move to cancel today's play.

Blocky

Banned
I'm on the fence, personally.

I think it's great that the cricketing world is rallying to support those impacted by his death, but I also think ultimately that it sets a precedence for how we must act for all future circumstances that are similar to these and ultimately I strongly feel had this happened in say an Indian domestic match, or a South African domestic match that the way NZ has responded would not be the same.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Let's not forget Bob Blair who played on after hearing that his fiancé was killed in the Tangiwai Disaster.

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I'm on the fence, personally.

I think it's great that the cricketing world is rallying to support those impacted by his death, but I also think ultimately that it sets a precedence for how we must act for all future circumstances that are similar to these and ultimately I strongly feel had this happened in say an Indian domestic match, or a South African domestic match that the way NZ has responded would not be the same.
I don't think it sets a precedent at all. There's no hard and fast rule about how much grief someone's death will cause. The reason all these things are happening following Hughes' death is because it's affected a huge number of people very profoundly - probably more than anyone could have imagined beforehand. As far as I've seen, the outpouring of sadness has been completely genuine. It's simply how people feel. As such, calling off a day's play, having hundreds of heartfelt tributes on here, and everything else around the world - it's all just the way people have felt they should deal with it.

To try and compare it with past or future deaths or injuries is ridiculous imo, and ultimately pointless. The entire cricketing world is devastated right now. We don't need a policy for next time, or a debate about how much we'd have cared if it was someone else. When something like this happens you just deal with it the best you can. There's no control, no rules to follow, no right way of doing things. If, God forbid, something like this occurs again, we'll just deal with that too - in whatever way seems best.