• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2016/17

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lovely to see we aren't the only team to collapse horribly. Well done by NZ, and WAGner in finishing them off.
Yeah pretending that Australia is the only team to have collapses is silly. I think every team has had a horrible collapse in the last 12-18 months.

BeeGee

International Captain
WAGS :wub:

Rosco :wub:

Southee, best I've seen him bowl in ages. I'd love for him to continue this form through the summer. We really need that firepower with the new ball.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Well, I know the BCs are sympathizing with the Pakistanis after that collapse. We're notorious for doing so and it is never pleasant watching. Despite enjoying the victory it was sad to see Pakistan lose it like that towards the end, especially after all the hard work the openers had done earlier.

Good to see Taylor perform. I hope his eye operation goes well and he's back playing for the BCs soon after. Also good to see Boult and Southee bowling well. Wagner was good as always.

BeeGee

International Captain
Well, I know the BCs are sympathizing with the Pakistanis after that collapse. We're notorious for doing so and it is never pleasant watching. Despite enjoying the victory it was sad to see Pakistan lose it like that towards the end, especially after all the hard work the openers had done earlier.

Good to see Taylor perform. I hope his eye operation goes well and he's back playing for the BCs soon after. Also good to see Boult and Southee bowling well. Wagner was good as always.
Yeah, Boult was excellent. Should have been MotM.

Burgey

Solid series win from the Kiwis, especially given the time lost to rain. Well done them.

Zinzan

Lol this photo... took me a while to work out who the bearded man 3rd from the right in the back row was. Fair effort that beard.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Disappointing series but I guess the positives are the two guys to get runs in these conditions are Babar Azam and Sami Aslam. Amir looked the best he has looked this year with the new ball. He was never great at reverse swing so didn't expect him to do much on Day 4.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A good win and hindsight shows a near-perfect declaration. A well set up game by NZ and I thought the bowling on the final day was very much what the pitch required - tight and consistent. From my viewing Pakistan's tactics on the final day left something to be desired - no problem with what the openers did in slowly building their platform, but they were a little slow through the middle session, and then strangely when they hit the GO button they went too hard. Aslam shouldn't have been slogging like that (on 91 when he's never scored a century too!), it was Sarfraz's job to hit. Sarfraz's runout was ridiculous too. I know he's not a batsman but Sohail Khan should hang his head in shame as well. They left themselves too few resources to save the match and not enough players were willing to knuckle down once the chase was off.

Pleased for NZ that are back to winning at home. Three of the last four major tours have been the toughest in the calendar and we've predictably lost, so it's a much needed confidence boost to get the win. Hopefully will give a respite from the complaints about Williamson's captaincy, Taylor's batting and Southee's bowling, and that they continue to perform. No closer to working out what the ideal 5/6/7/8 in the side is though.

Can imagine it's been a very unsatisfying series for Pakistan fans - inadequate warm-up, immediately on the back foot after losing the toss and doing what you don't want to do first in unfamiliar conditions, competitive at times but always behind the game and never quite consistent enough, the Achilles heel makes an appearance (for Pakistan, it's dropping catches) and you lose your captain mid-series. In other words, pretty much the template for any team (exc SA) touring anywhere at the moment ;). Good luck in Oz, it will be tough.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wagner is such an asset. Coming on and hustling out those two tailend wickets on cue.
Indeed, I still wonder how that d/n test last year might have turned out if they'd picked him. Excellent that he's enjoying some success now. Happy too for de Grandhomme & Raval to come in and play important parts in a series win after years toiling at domestic level.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Happy with the win.

Tbh, Pakistan played really poorly this series. Dropping catches everywhere, poor batting apart from right at the top, and lack of bowling plans.

Hopefully they will be more up for it against Aus because otherwise they will get smashed.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
So massive positives for the series:
Southee remembered how to bowl
Wagner is still Wagner
We now have two openers who don't suck (inb4 spoke to soon)
Ross still got the boss
CDG can fill no 6 for a bit
Watling looking much better

Negatives:
Really disappointed in Henry's showing this test. He's no quicker than Southee at the moment and isn't getting the shape he used to get early in his career. I hate to say it but he-who-must-not-be-named may be right - he just doesn't quite have enough of anything at the moment to be a consistent threat in tests. Needs to figure out what his primary asset is and develop it.
Still no success at number 5. Time to unite the lord Colins, bring on Munro #intent@fourfive&six

listento_me

U19 Captain
Excellent performance from NZ, especially in beating a team that has beaten them for almost 30 years, home or away. However, I still feel the NZ bowlers are a step off from being world class unless conditions are suiting them or they are bowling against Asian batters in home series'. Boult is the only one I'd pick in a world XI atm and even then not as first choice so I think they need to work on that.

As for Pakistan, their batting has been an utter joke at times and Sarfraz, for all the compliments he keeps getting, has not played an innings of substance in a long, long time. On top of that, both Khans are too slow with limited control and swing to bother batsmen or pick up wickets in bunches. It's weird that they have persisted with those two in Australia. Can Pakistan, a historical haven for fast bowlers, not find anyone better? Genuine question for those who follow Pak domestic cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great win NZ.. The declaration dangling the carrot is what got them this win so all credit to KW and the support staff/players who helped him make the decision. CDG looks a decent all rounder at least at home for NZ and you can always bat Santner at 6 away from home if you need better bowling all rounders.

Bad luck for Pak. From the looks of it, they hit the accelerator a little too late and therefore a little too hard. Cant blame them going for it though given the state and length of the series. I did rate them #1 after the England tour mainly because of how balanced their bowling and even batting looked coming out of that series. But I guess if you take out one of Misbah or Younis, it shows how bad it can get for this Pak side. As long as their next gen of batsmen cant sort out their batting, its hard for them to remain amongst the top sides, even if they have the bowling attack for it.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder how the rivers of blood are flowing through the streets of PakPassion right now