• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 21 - England v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would have only been defending 80 though.

Ravi's innings was invaluable. It looked like a "done enough to save my spot" innings at the innings break. But it turned out to be match-winning.

Good on him. Will be interesting to see if he can kick on. Always been a "what if" player. Bit of a **** tease. Kind of like Guptill for NZ.
Well we wouldn't have been defending 80 had Colly been there instead of Yardy, which is what we were getting at. In fact I'd have backed Colly to score at least 5 more than Yardy :ph34r:

England fought hard but let us be realistic 67-0 chasing 172 at this level to then lose the next 10 wickets for 98 runs is pretty poor batting when it only needed one good partenrship to win the match is nothing more than a choke.

Yes England were poor but they were poor throughout their innings (losing 2 wickets in the 1st over).

Bopara and Trott battled hard but SA choked.

Had SA lost wickets right throughout the innings like England did I would say this loss was less to do with SA but 67-0 to 165 all out, South Africa have lived up to their choker tag, not sure England will get a freebie like that from a top team again.
Freebie? I'd tell you to something off but I'd only get infracted. Today's game had arguably the two best bowling performances of the WC thus far and ours was -just - the pick of them. ****ing hell, new poster, same old CW ****. Give no credit where it's due. 8-)

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2003 and 2007, yes. Not sure about 1999. Pakistan and South Africa were pretty strong contenders for that one.
Nah

Take a look at the Oz squad for '99

Several of the world's best batsmen, 2 best bowlers, excellent back up etc etc

Klusener gave us some scares down the order but that was really it

They'd win this WC in a canter but took a while to get into their stride in that tourney and finally put it together in the final

If that team had the experience of 2003, it would've been far easier

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Barring Warne, most others were yet to achieve greatness at that stage. Ponting was not among the best batsmen, most people back then would have put Donald and Wasim ahead of McGrath etc etc. And Australia also had a bit of luck going with them, catch dropped by Gibbs and qualifying despite a tie in semi-final due to the rules that were applied in that world cup (the rules were changed in 2003 WC where in case of a tie, the team ranked higher in the super six stage were to qualify).

Australia were still the best team in the tournament to go on to win the 99 cup, but not by as much, and definitely not obvious pre-tournament favourites.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Freebie? I'd tell you to something off but I'd only get infracted. Today's game had arguably the two best bowling performances of the WC thus far and ours was -just - the pick of them. ****ing hell, new poster, same old CW ****. Give no credit where it's due. 8-)
He certainly had no problems giving India credit for their "clinical" performance against Ireland.

Blaze 18

Banned
Nah

Take a look at the Oz squad for '99

Klusener gave us some scares down the order but that was really it

They'd win this WC in a canter but took a while to get into their stride in that tourney and finally put it together in the final

If that team had the experience of 2003, it would've been far easier
There is no denying Australia had a brilliant squad, but South Africa's and Pakistan's squads were just as impressive. Consider this : that Pakistani side was so good that Waqar Younis couldn't find a place in the playing eleven!

Klusener wasn't the only one who gave them scares in that tournament, they had a few before that as well. They did not blitz through to the final à la 2003/2007.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Depsite the presence of Fat Gray in the squad, the "c" word I must readily associate with the yarps is still "choke", tbh.

Yes, we bowled very well, but we were helped out by some rather pitiful batting. Amla and Van Wyck both chopped on after trying to cut once too often, Duminy left a gap a panzer could've nipped through and du Plessis just plumb fell over.

In fact, after Amla and the doughty but out of nick skipper went only really Steyn (a bowler) looked to have the necessary testicular fortitude to stear them home.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
England fought hard but let us be realistic 67-0 chasing 172 at this level to then lose the next 10 wickets for 98 runs is pretty poor batting when it only needed one good partenrship to win the match is nothing more than a choke.

Yes England were poor but they were poor throughout their innings (losing 2 wickets in the 1st over).

Bopara and Trott battled hard but SA choked.

Had SA lost wickets right throughout the innings like England did I would say this loss was less to do with SA but 67-0 to 165 all out, South Africa have lived up to their choker tag, not sure England will get a freebie like that from a top team again.
Quite like India managed a tie against England due to England's poor batting and not some excellent bowling? 8-)

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Quite like India managed a tie against England due to England's poor batting and not some excellent bowling? 8-)
Flat deck that can happened, but England played well last week and could have won the match we probably did mess it up in the end letting them tie, but then they really looked like they could pull of one of the biggest upsets of the tournament at one stage!

England are capable of beating South Africa, without help and they have a team which can do some damage, if all goes to plan.

But I do feel that South Africa contirbuted to their own downfall today. 67-0 to 165 is pretty poor you would back a minnow to chase down 172 having been 67-0 to be fair.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hang on - did you just say us beating India would be one of the biggest upsets of the tournament?

lolololololololol

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Hang on - did you just say us beating India would be one of the biggest upsets of the tournament?

lolololololololol
England have lost their last 11 of 13 matches to India in India and it was 11 out of 12. So yes it would be a major upset in this tournament and one of the biggest.

As it turned out the biggest upset of the tournament so far happened a few days later with England the victims!

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, we bowled very well, but we were helped out by some rather pitiful batting. Amla and Van Wyck both chopped on after trying to cut once too often, Duminy left a gap a panzer could've nipped through and du Plessis just plumb fell over.
Bit harsh on Duminy I thought. That was a seriously good rock from Anderson. Moved late in the air and jagged back sharply. It looked bad because he had a massive swipe at it but I think that ball would have got most batsmen.

BeeGee

International Captain
The following posters can suck it:

BeeGee, blahblahblah, Blaze 18, centurymaker, cricpk, Cruxdude, Ikki, IndiaLose, Jayzamann, kingkallis, Mike5181, Nnanden, Protean, robinjr, Turbinator, xanderbiscuits
Indeed :laugh:

I humbly doff my cap to the English bowlers. Well played gents!

If England can figure out a way to get their batting and bowling to both fire in the same game, they'll be in good shape come QF time.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Hopefully England now finish top of their group. Better for NZ to play England than South Africa or India.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wins like this can completely turn a team around though. It's happened before in tournaments. After a disappointment vs. India and embarrassment vs. Ireland, they were on the brink and came back to beat one of the tournament favourites.

It can give the team momentum that could get them to the semis or better.

Well within the realms of a possibility.
Happened at the T20 WC, scrape through the first group stage then hammered everyone they came up against from then on in.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The following posters can suck it:

BeeGee, blahblahblah, Blaze 18, centurymaker, cricpk, Cruxdude, Ikki, IndiaLose, Jayzamann, kingkallis, Mike5181, Nnanden, Protean, robinjr, Turbinator, xanderbiscuits
Ha Ha. Was very disappointed. Went to sleep with SA very comfortable and woke up for the Duminy Review. Good game though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
2 points for England but not sure if it masks their clear lack in confidence as a unit, chasing 172 SA 67-0, you cant bank on a side losing from their.

England should beat Bangladesh, and make the Quarters but dont see them going any further!
They were clinical. All they had to do was show up to get the two points; they executed that game-play perfectly. How they played overall is irrelevant.