• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 21 - England v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
Amazing what an injury does to form. Wasn't that long ago that Kallis played one of the finest individual efforts in a Test in the recent past.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The BBC report is hilarious.

BBC Sport - Cricket - Cricket World Cup: England stun South Africa in Chennai

The tagline's already been mentioned - the comeback of the tournament, yeah, so long as you ignore that one against England last week.

Best bit is their description of Broad:

The man who had a spell of four for eight in 21 balls against Australia in 2009...
Never mind "England's best ODI bowler of the last three years" or anything, let's stick an obligatory Ashes reference in there. :laugh:

Maximus0723

State Regular
I think England bowled better than SA (outside of Morkel).
Both teams were horrible with bat. Just got the feeling that England started to give up when the tail was batting.

BeeGee

International Captain
It pretty much all comes down to the game against Bangladesh. If they win that one they'll probably qualify. Lose and they could be in big trouble.
I take it all back.

WOW. What an outstanding effort from the England bowlers. Broad is in outstanding form.

The real question now is, has SA choked too soon?

bagapath

International Captain
A fan that leaves the ground early shall henceforth be known as a 'bagapath'. The act of leaving the ground early is now 'bagapathing'. That is all.
Stop having *** with pregnant women. Its grouse.

The friend who had the VIP box for the game is now laughing his a.off at me.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
2 points for England but not sure if it masks their clear lack in confidence as a unit, chasing 172 SA 67-0, you cant bank on a side losing from their.

England should beat Bangladesh, and make the Quarters but dont see them going any further!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wins like this can completely turn a team around though. It's happened before in tournaments. After a disappointment vs. India and embarrassment vs. Ireland, they were on the brink and came back to beat one of the tournament favourites.

It can give the team momentum that could get them to the semis or better.

Well within the realms of a possibility.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Wins like this can completely turn a team around though. It's happened before in tournaments. After a disappointment vs. India and embarrassment vs. Ireland, they were on the brink and came back to beat one of the tournament favourites.

True, and I do hear what you are saying, but I do feel that England lack clarity in where they are going with their OD team, they are pretty much relying on other teams to have a horror like SA did, they dont seem to have the consistency to play well consistently.

I wont rule out what you say, but I also wont be surprised if while I do take them to beat Bangladesh, they either struggle to beat them or even lose.

The match v Windies is 50-50 on current form IMHO

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Well Said, Great win for England !! I

Howe_zat

Audio File

Good point. I don't particularly subscribe to inter-match "momentum", but this will give the attack so much confidence. Broad and Swann especially will start to feel like world beaters.

However, we musn't let a great win based on a few individuals make up for widespread poor performances within the team. (Commonly called "Doing a Perth" IIRC :ph34r: ) Yardy has to go and, while we are stuck with Prior down the order and there's no-one else in form to come in, our batting lineup is just too short minus Colly.

Jacknife

International Captain
Good point. I don't particularly subscribe to inter-match "momentum", but this will give the attack so much confidence. Broad and Swann especially will start to feel like world beaters.

However, we musn't let a great win based on a few individuals make up for widespread poor performances within the team. (Commonly called "Doing a Perth" IIRC :ph34r: ) Yardy has to go and, while we are stuck with Prior down the order and there's no-one else in form to come in, our batting lineup is just too short minus Colly.
I said it at the start of the WC, the best team for England, is what played today, with Colly coming in for Yardy, Colly's a better bowler and a better bat, even not in form.