• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 1 - India v Bangladesh

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All the head-patting coming Bangladesh's way is a wee bit emetic. Atherton and Wilkins were at it on the comm and there's been a few posts here suggesting they somehow did well in losing by 87!

Was a pretty awful effort IMHO; at no point after Sreesanth's party piece did they ever look like matching the asking rate and barely made much of an effort to even try. Made for a pretty ordinary chase IMHO.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Congrats India for winning the game, despite the poor bowling performance.

Does anybody know why the speeds weren't being shown?

Himannv

International Coach
Thought Bangladesh batted really well. That sort of score will be too much for almost all teams I reckon.

Himannv

International Coach
All the head-patting coming Bangladesh's way is a wee bit emetic. Atherton and Wilkins were at it on the comm and there's been a few posts here suggesting they somehow did well in losing by 87!

Was a pretty awful effort IMHO; at no point after Sreesanth's party piece did they ever look like matching the asking rate and barely made much of an effort to even try. Made for a pretty ordinary chase IMHO.
Can't see too many sides chasing down 370 there tbh. The only teams I'd give even half a chance at it are Australia and SA. I really believe they might have had some chance if it was 320 or so though so I dont think it was an awful chase by any means. Sehwag simply did too much damage to their chances here.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Sehwag WAFG!!! Sweet revenge for us It was so sweet started feeling bad fo Bangers Think they can still get into the quarters.

Blaze 18

Banned
To be fair to Sehwag, he also said something like "anyone can have an off-day" immediately after that comment about Sreesanth.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sehwag WAG.

No tact whatsoever. Called Bangladesh a poor side. And then backed it up.

Should be kept far far away from the media.
Violently disagree. Very nice to have someone call a spade a spade rather than running through the usual media-trained inanities. Nice to see some personality.

shankar

International Debutant
To be fair to Sehwag, he also said something like "anyone can have an off-day" immediately after that comment about Sreesanth.
Yep. Cricinfo cut that bit off. He was just being his blunt self, not trying to make a point about Sreesanth. Also re: Bangladesh what he said was that they were poor in tests, but could 'disappoint' anyone in ODIs.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Violently disagree. Very nice to have someone call a spade a spade rather than running through the usual media-trained inanities. Nice to see some personality.
Agree with this. We can't have it both ways - want honesty then pan people when they give us just that.

Decent effort with the bat from the Bangas chasing an insane total. Thought they did pretty well considering.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I suppose when you look at the scores of the game, you'd say Bangladesh put up a bit of a fight and have their pride intact. While I agree in part, I also thought there were some confusing events taking place with Bangladesh's tactics and planning. Tamim Iqbal is by far their most dangerous and obvious matchwinner, yet it seems his role changed today from the cavalier opening batsman that can slap it about and really put sides onto the back foot into a rather conservative and less freeflowing version of himself. You'd have thought with 370 to chase down, the situation was ideal for him to go and enjoy himself and see how far it takes them.

Presumably the logic was for him to try and bat through the innings for them to have any chance, but he just looked out of nick and uncertain as to what his actual gameplan was. He didn't attack like he can, and didn't keep the board ticking like he had to. It would be unfair to blame a guy that got 70, and I'm obviously not doing that, just thought his innings was curious.

Again a side waste a batting powerplay, why on earth did Bangladesh delay taking their 5-overs till the run rate was touching an almost impossible 16 an over? They missed the chance with Shakib in and set or when Tamim was in. I wonder how many occasions teams are going to contiually waste what should be an advantage by delaying it far too long, and how many of those times I'm going to come on here and moan about it!

Bangladesh clearly had no belief in being able to chase that down, you cannot blame them really, it was a mightily imposing score, and while they showed some resistance, they didn't have the quality to reduce the number of dot balls they played out. Boundaries at times were very hard to come by, but they may run England or WI close if either of those are a touch below par on the day.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

I don't think it was awful at all, apart from the last 5 or 6 overs.

After 30 overs, Bangladesh were just 25 runs behind India and had lost the same amount of wickets.

Bangladesh could have easily thrown away some wickets needlessly and lost by 187 which would have severely screwed their net run rate, which you would think could come into play for a team like them.

24 runs from the last 6 overs was fairly ordinary though. Zaheer, Munaf and Harbhajan all bowled well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I suppose when you look at the scores of the game, you'd say Bangladesh put up a bit of a fight and have their pride intact. While I agree in part, I also thought there were some confusing events taking place with Bangladesh's tactics and planning. Tamim Iqbal is by far their most dangerous and obvious matchwinner, yet it seems his role changed today from the cavalier opening batsman that can slap it about and really put sides onto the back foot into a rather conservative and less freeflowing version of himself. You'd have thought with 370 to chase down, the situation was ideal for him to go and enjoy himself and see how far it takes them.

Presumably the logic was for him to try and bat through the innings for them to have any chance, but he just looked out of nick and uncertain as to what his actual gameplan was. He didn't attack like he can, and didn't keep the board ticking like he had to. It would be unfair to blame a guy that got 70, and I'm obviously not doing that, just thought his innings was curious.

Again a side waste a batting powerplay, why on earth did Bangladesh delay taking their 5-overs till the run rate was touching an almost impossible 16 an over? They missed the chance with Shakib in and set or when Tamim was in. I wonder how many occasions teams are going to contiually waste what should be an advantage by delaying it far too long, and how many of those times I'm going to come on here and moan about it!

Bangladesh clearly had no belief in being able to chase that down, you cannot blame them really, it was a mightily imposing score, and while they showed some resistance, they didn't have the quality to reduce the number of dot balls they played out. Boundaries at times were very hard to come by, but they may run England or WI close if either of those are a touch below par on the day.
Nice post. Tamim and his fast scoring is a little overrated, look at his career strike rate.

I think he did a very good job given the players he had in his team. If Tamim uses up only 25 balls scoring 40, I don't think he would have helped his team as much as his 86 ball 70, because someone like Shakib certainly wouldn't have batted as fast from the start.

The player vs player makes interesting reading also..

Sreesanth 13 from 14 balls (4 leg byes were scored of his bowling too)
Zaheer 5 from 12 balls
Munaf 13 from 17 plus the wicket
Harbhajan 10 from 14
Pathan 16 from 19
Yuvraj 13 from 10.

So he clearly went better against the 3 weaker bowlers on the night. I'm not just saying they were the weaker bowlers because they went for the most runs, they definitely bowled worse than Zaheer, Munaf and Harby!

Woodster

International Captain
Nice post. Tamim and his fast scoring is a little overrated, look at his career strike rate.

I think he did a very good job given the players he had in his team. If Tamim uses up only 25 balls scoring 40, I don't think he would have helped his team as much as his 86 ball 70, because someone like Shakib certainly wouldn't have batted as fast from the start.

The player vs player makes interesting reading also..

Sreesanth 13 from 14 balls (4 leg byes were scored of his bowling too)
Zaheer 5 from 12 balls
Munaf 13 from 17 plus the wicket
Harbhajan 10 from 14
Pathan 16 from 19
Yuvraj 13 from 10.

So he clearly went better against the 3 weaker bowlers on the night. I'm not just saying they were the weaker bowlers because they went for the most runs, they definitely bowled worse than Zaheer, Munaf and Harby!
Yes his S/R overall is not the most impressive, but if you look at it in recent times where his game is now much more assured and he seemingly knows his own game much better, it is not far shy of a run a ball (judging from the last 25 ODI's he's played).

He started playing ODI's for Bangladesh at 18, so inevitably needed a couple of years to really begin to show his full potential, and to realise his own role within the side.

He did score a touch quicker against the lesser bowlers, but he wasn't really as proactive as he can be, and that imo is when he looks most dangerous. As I was watching him play, I was hoping he would gradually move through the gears and make amends for the number of dot balls he'd played out, but sadly today wasn't the day for that to happen.