• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 1 - India v Bangladesh

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think he definitely lifted a gear once he reached 50 after 28 overs.

He was 50 from 71 balls, so his last 20 runs were from 15 balls, he just got out at an unfortunate time for himself and the team.

Woodster

International Captain
I think he definitely lifted a gear once he reached 50 after 28 overs.

He was 50 from 71 balls, so his last 20 runs were from 15 balls, he just got out at an unfortunate time for himself and the team.
Yes he worked the ball around better, still only one boundary after he reached fifty, and Yuvraj had been brought into the attack also, with the mis-firing Sreesanth back on. Like I said before I don't want it to sound like I'm holding him responsible, just thought the way he played today was curious.

The thing is when your run rate is relatively slow in comparison the rate that is needed, it is forgiven if you bat through and pick up your scoring rate as your innings progresses. But of course if you're dismissed, you cannot make up for your slower rate early on. Also, early on is probably the best time to attack when the ball's coming onto the bat appreciably better in the sub-continent.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not the most enjoyable game to kick the World Cup off. I don't believe Bangladesh bowled that poorly besides some loose overs from the quicks. The pitch was so placid and the Indian batsman full of so much confidence to just crunch anything the spinners dished up. Had a couple of wickets fallen early and the run rate not been close to 8, the spin combo would have created far more pressure and a closer game may have resulted.

Loving the Bangladesh crowds too. I havn't watched many games with such a feverish atmosphere from Bangladesh. It is great for the World Cup and just highlights that one day Bangladesh will be such a force in the game with so much interest in the nation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Violently disagree. Very nice to have someone call a spade a spade rather than running through the usual media-trained inanities. Nice to see some personality.
Agree with this. We can't have it both ways - want honesty then pan people when they give us just that.

Decent effort with the bat from the Bangas chasing an insane total. Thought they did pretty well considering.
Well as a fan I love it, but I'm thinking it from within the team perspective.

I were part of team management, I'd be rich cause I'd be the son of some BCCI bureaucrat. But to the point, I'd want to avoid opening up any rifts in public and such.

joels344

U19 Debutant
Excellent job from Sehwag today, very enjoyable to watch. I was also happy to see Kohli score a century in his debut WC match. Well done.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
All the head-patting coming Bangladesh's way is a wee bit emetic. Atherton and Wilkins were at it on the comm and there's been a few posts here suggesting they somehow did well in losing by 87!

Was a pretty awful effort IMHO; at no point after Sreesanth's party piece did they ever look like matching the asking rate and barely made much of an effort to even try. Made for a pretty ordinary chase IMHO.
They scored 287 against the WC favourites.

They batted well. Not being able to chase down 370 is hardly an indictment on them as a team.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

They batted well. Not being able to chase down 370 is hardly an indictment on them as a team.
True. They did try initially but once they realised it was highly improbable that they would even get close, they did all they could to bat out the 50 overs and make a decent score instead of going all guns blazing and capitulating to 200 all out. They have to think about their net run rate too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah, although I don't think they'd have got particularly close to that score if that's what they were chasing. India were obviously quite happy to see them go at about 5rpo for most of the innings and Dhoni's captaincy reflected that. Only when Sree was bowling did they actually get on top of India and disrupt Dhoni's plans.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

& they did it against a team more than happy to let them. If they'd batted first and achieved it, kudos, but India will be made up to have restricted a side to fully 1.5 RPO less than their own rate.

I don't think it was a good chase at all and, favourites they may be, but that mantle isn't based on India's bowling strength.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Bangas can do well if they bat as well against Eng, SA, WI imo. Their spinners should be way more effective against these teams and pacers should do better than this too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bangas can do well if they bat as well against Eng, SA, WI imo. Their spinners should be way more effective against these teams and pacers should do better than this too.
I wonder if they'll drop Shafiul for Nazmul after that mare. I think it'd be a mistake but I can definitely see it happening. I'd probably be more inclined to bring Shuvo in if I was forced into dropping Shafiul.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
& they did it against a team more than happy to let them. If they'd batted first and achieved it, kudos, but India will be made up to have restricted a side to fully 1.5 RPO less than their own rate.

I don't think it was a good chase at all and, favourites they may be, but that mantle isn't based on India's bowling strength.
I think you're judging the spectacle rather than their performance.

The bowlers don't bowl to get carted. Zaheer and co. tried.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think you're judging the spectacle rather than their performance.

The bowlers don't bowl to get carted. Zaheer and co. tried.
They actually bowled well IMHO. 'Twas an absolute road. As I said yesterday during the game India's 370 looked largely effortless. Sehwag scored 175 at better than a run a ball but rarely got out of first.

I reckon if India had gone balls out there was 400-420 there for the taking.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually reckon they bowled well as well. Which makes Bangladesh' score good IMO. They still scored 233 runs from the non-Sree**** bowlers

M0rphin3

International Debutant
I wonder if they'll drop Shafiul for Nazmul after that mare. I think it'd be a mistake but I can definitely see it happening. I'd probably be more inclined to bring Shuvo in if I was forced into dropping Shafiul.
Nah. I'm pretty sure they won't drop Shafiul. Should drop Naeem instead. And Mahmudullah should be axed too imo :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I actually reckon they bowled well as well. Which makes Bangladesh' score good IMO. They still scored 233 runs from the non-Sree**** bowlers
Nah, if it wasn't Bangladesh we'd be saying how they'd swallowed it and never given it a go. But because it's "little" Bangladesh the "pat on the head" mentality prevails.

Losing by 87 when you haven't been bowled out is an arseholing for my quid.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, if it wasn't Bangladesh we'd be saying how they'd swallowed it and never given it a go. But because it's "little" Bangladesh the "pat on the head" mentality prevails.

9 down is as good as all out. What if they went down slogging and were 250 all out? I honestly don't think they would have reached any closer to the target, in fact they probably got to 280+ just because India let them. If they tried to force the issue they'd probably start losing wickets and end up with a poorer NRR in the group.

Also if it was any other team they would have the potential to chase down 370 and we'd be right to complain, Bangladesh simply doesn't have the capacity to chase that.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Brumby, why haven't you acknowledged the importance of net run rate? Honestly, if you were to pick 1 team where net run rate is going to be the most important, it would have to be the 5th ranked team in the group Bangladesh.

I didn't watch the Indian batting innings apart from the first over, but the Bangladesh chase for good and were still in with a shot with 20 overs remaining, although smart money was always on the far superior Indian team.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Bangladesh were simply being smart and strategic. If they had tried to chase, and made a quick 230 all out, ie got off to a more rollicking start, but then got out to bhaji and yuvraj trying to slog, then they would
a) have a worse net run rate
b) have lost confidence, knowing that they did a sub par job in both innings.

It's really no shame for a developing team to lose to the indian giants.
As many have said, this tournament structure allows teams to get themselves together, and build momentum as it progresses.
They did the right thing IMO. Their batting was impressive and showed they can get good totals. Bowling is a worry tho.

User2010

Cricket Spectator
Not really disappointed with Bangladesh performance. They gave it their best shot. 370 was never going to be easy and probably was next to 'not reachable' for the Bangla Tigers but their fought it out. Loved the way they started. Not happy with Tamim's innings though if it was 'the role' given to him. He is an aggressor and shouldn't curve his game. He can change the state of any game in a short time with the kind of player he is.

Last edited: