• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India and England in Australia ODI Tri-Series 2015

Blain

U19 Captain
Finn looks like he's developed a bent arm. When did that happen?!? Also was the speed gun slow? I remember him being around 140-145

BWSport

Cricket Spectator
This is why Indian players need to step out of their country a bit more while they are young. Players in New Zealand and Australia travel to other countries when they are young to play cricket in different conditions, I think this is why they can adjust to games in other countries so well. I have never seen or heard of a player from India do a stint down under trying to develop their game

Stapel

International Regular
This is why Indian players need to step out of their country a bit more while they are young. Players in New Zealand and Australia travel to other countries when they are young to play cricket in different conditions, I think this is why they can adjust to games in other countries so well. I have never seen or heard of a player from India do a stint down under trying to develop their game
Even when a bit older, it would be useful! Playing English county cricket for a season or two would be very very handy for any cricketer, I'd reckon. Tendulkar, Dravid, Ponting, Lara & Kallis all played county cricket in England, arguably before they had set themselves as all time greats.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bizarre argument. County cricket is of woeful quality.

Yes and no, it is terrible quality, but the general grind has always been helpful for over-seas players, it just gives them totally different conditions and disciplines.

It certainly doesn't rate being called bizarre, especially as Stapel gave a few decent examples. Their are countless more too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, it only matters how you go #onthesubcontinent

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Even when a bit older, it would be useful! Playing English county cricket for a season or two would be very very handy for any cricketer, I'd reckon. Tendulkar, Dravid, Ponting, Lara & Kallis all played county cricket in England, arguably before they had set themselves as all time greats.
Agreed. It may not be the same as the 80s and 90s but CC has always been the finishing school for overseas players. Counties put pressure on their overseas players to perform and justify their position. The pressure of performing day in and day out in CC as an overseas pro is related to the ability to handle the pressures of international cricket. It is a different arena but handling pressure and expectation is the same.

Same way being an overseas pro in good English club cricket is a tough gig. If you can manage the committee, pressures of performance and criticism then it is a good indicator of translating to performing at a higher level.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Finn looks like he's developed a bent arm. When did that happen?!? Also was the speed gun slow? I remember him being around 140-145
I remember being suspect of Finn's action in 2013. I'm not sure if he gets his arm straight before it's perpendicular with his body. It's a weird one. Touch and go.

I'd like for him to be tested, along with Kyle Mills, and perhaps even Junaid Khan, just for a little peace of mind.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man.. Our team picked a great day to suck, huh? I am working with English clients here at my work and yesterday was the first day I was working with them all day in person... And they were all over me :) I was telling them at 57/1 that we can fight to 260 to 280 even with our depleted batting.. And then, just like Anderson and Finn were all over our battsmen, they were all over me.. Why, God, Why? We beat them so many times in the past, why did we have to suck this bad yesterday? :(

The worst part is, none of them particularly follow cricket either.. Couple of them were interested in what goes on but most of the others were just casual fans. One of the guys even asked if Freddie was still the captain, and even he was ribbing me.. :(

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pretty bizarre to try and portray division one of the county champions to be woeful standard IMO.

Kane Williamson is a good example recently of a bloke who has probably benefited from county cricket. Sometimes just batting all the time all year round keeps you in good touch as well.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Agreed. It may not be the same as the 80s and 90s but CC has always been the finishing school for overseas players. Counties put pressure on their overseas players to perform and justify their position. The pressure of performing day in and day out in CC as an overseas pro is related to the ability to handle the pressures of international cricket. It is a different arena but handling pressure and expectation is the same.

Same way being an overseas pro in good English club cricket is a tough gig. If you can manage the committee, pressures of performance and criticism then it is a good indicator of translating to performing at a higher level.
Well then to be fair we should also expect Aussies and English players to have stints in India to get used to turners as they mostly struggle on them. In fact Australian conditions is a whole different animal of it's own too.

Which brings me to the point of what are Australia and India's policy regarding foreign players anyways, if any at all? If they are really the "big three" of cricket they should have equal domestic policies to even out the playing field in cricket as all three mostly offers three distinct types of conditions: swing, bounce, and turners respectively, which varies by pitches obviously.

Instead of just the option to practice hitting big sixes in these countries for foreign players, more attention should be paid to this.It would be a lot better for the game too.

Last edited:

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
But the thing with India is though I'm pretty sure they will let not getting hammered in Australia get to their heads which will actually harm them.

They will talk about how they hammered Australia at home and how they couldn't do the same in "bouncy" conditions. In fact I have already heard plenty of that non sense. Even though every remotely bright fans know that those were some of the flattest group of pitches seen in Australia in a long while. But they would just ignore that bit of fact due to pride and won't put in any serious attempts to improve imo.

That's why I actually think not getting thrashed in Australia was actually a negative thing in most ways for India because it gives them that false sense of supremacy. I know the game against England was ODI and that it's a whole different type of mentality but it's still cricket. And if you actually watch the game the reason India sucked so much was because they couldn't cope with the bounce. Majority of their struggles came from that and the commentators were calling it right there.

And as usual their bowlers couldn't do a thing on it when it was their turn which made it look a whole different game for the opposition. This is what can happen to India in a real bouncy wicket something which the test pitches most certainly weren't. In fact even that pitch wasn't the greatest example as they can come a lot faster and be a lot more difficult.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Its always easier to adjust to low bounce than it is high bounce as well.. part of the reason in my opinion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's why I actually think not getting thrashed in Australia was actually a negative thing in most ways for India because it gives them that false sense of supremacy. I know the game against England was ODI and that it's a whole different type of mentality but it's still cricket. And if you actually watch the game the reason India sucked so much was because they couldn't cope with the bounce. Majority of their struggles came from that and the commentators were calling it right there.
India lost 4-0 in 2011. Nothing much changed. Losing 2-0 and batting well in 7 out of 8 innings is a step forward, flat tracks or not. Another 4-0 would not have helped Indian cricket.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
India lost 4-0 in 2011. Nothing much changed. Losing 2-0 and batting well in 7 out of 8 innings is a step forward, flat tracks or not. Another 4-0 would not have helped Indian cricket.
Back then it was that "come to India and then we will show you" attitude though. It's only after the England thrashing last year that I finally saw the attitude to improve oversees. I'm afraid all that will go to waste with the Aussie series because it will get to their heads imo.That's why I think some livelier wickets and thrashing could have actually helped them stay in the right path. .

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FMD mate they never looked like taking 20 wickets. Wish these were timeless tests, Australia would still be batting in Adelaide.