• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would definitely prefer either Neesham or Anderson in over Franklin (and Munro, but ideally I'd have Latham take his spot)

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Harsh on Anderson. I know Franko is the batting allrounder who can't bat, but Anderson is a genuine allrounder who hasn't shown himself to be a muppet yet.
He's such a natural sportsman that he'll always be able to heave the ball down at 125 without much work, though it's not going to be any use above domestic level. Focus on one discipline and view the other as a bonus.

Flem274*

123/5
Anderson wasn't 125 in SA though, and was quite sharp in the HRV Cup, though he probably felt comfortable going full tilt in that since he only had to get through 4 overs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think the important thing here is that we all agree Ronchi has been a revelation and should replace Watling in the test side :dry:

Mike5181

International Captain
I think the important thing here is that we all agree Ronchi has been a revelation and should replace Watling in the test side :dry:
Let's not confuse the formats here. Guptill's been a handy ODI player the entirety of his test career but he's still been ****ing terrible in the latter format. Ronchi's playing a totally different role to what he'd be playing in the test team, and actually has domestic runs behind him in the Plunket Shield.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesse Hogan ‏@Jesse_Hogan 45m

Re Champs Trophy tonight. #steep MT @mohanstatsman: For Aus to qualify have to win by 125-130 runs or 124-130 balls to spare, or else NZ in.

Spikey

Mohandas Menon ‏@mohanstatsman 3h
Aus to qualify
make 250 (restrict SL 124)
225 (SL 99)
200 (SL 74)

or

SL 200 (Aus win 137b to spare)
SL 225 (131b)
SL 250 (126b

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So what do SL want to do if they win the toss - chase or set a total.
Set a total IMO. It'll mean Australia go really hard at whatever it is to try and knock it over in time to get their NRR up to the mark required; gives SL a much better chance of winning.

Spikey

gotta drop doherty for starc

not for any NRR reasons or anything like that, just cause doherty is a ****

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Set a total IMO. It'll mean Australia go really hard at whatever it is to try and knock it over in time to get their NRR up to the mark required; gives SL a much better chance of winning.
Maybe it is a case that it isn't a bad toss to lose for SL - as I can make a case for them chasing. They will have some paltry total they know they have to get past if they chase. I think Spikey listed 70 runs in one permutation - so they can just take a safety first approach to their first target. (Not that Dilshan understands safety first but the rest of them do).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maybe it is a case that it isn't a bad toss to lose for SL - as I can make a case for them chasing. They will have some paltry total they know they have to get past if they chase. I think Spikey listed 70 runs in one permutation - so they can just take a safety first approach to their first target. (Not that Dilshan understands safety first but the rest of them do).
Nah - if Sri Lanka lose, they are out. If it's by a big margin then Australia go through and if it's a small margin then NZ are through. The margin of any potential loss is irrelevant for them; they just need to win. Their situation is simple, they don't care about NNR, which is why I said they'd prefer to set a target; they know Australia will try to chase it in the small period required for them which gives SL the best chance of winning.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What about T20 v D/L, BeeGee?

Someone came up with an interesting suggestion on cricinfo the other day - just a fan who sent in a comment. He essentially proposed that in situations like this, they shouldn't actually reduce the overs like that to create a T20-like contest. Instead, the team batting first would be told to bat out its 24 overs (in this game's example) as if they had the full 50 rather than 24, and then have that score (lets say it's something like 110/2) converted by D/L as if they really had gone out there at the start and then been cut off by rain after 24. The team batting second would then bat out its 24 as if it had 50 overs to chase that converted score. D/L would then, after their 24 overs, decide if they'd chased the score down or not. So they'd have to preserve wickets, just as in a real 50 over chase.

It's something you'd have to have a deep love of D/L to consider, and not many cricket fans even understand it let alone love it, but I found it an interesting take all the same. The commenter was working off your rationale in a way; he said that the format was 50 overs and that it makes no sense to actually change that within the tournament.
I think D/L is really solid when working with a 50 over total, and only screws up when it tries to work with really small run chases with all 10 wickets. So I'm a big fan of this idea.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at the BBC weather report, seems like the game will be interrupted at various points, but we should get 35-40 overs in each at least (correct?). I don't see why SL would want to bat first, I would argue their best chance of winning still lies in getting some early swing or whatever then spinning Australia out for a crappy total then resisting the early bowlers before finishing off the poultry total.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It hasn't rained yet today, but obviously that's no guarantee that it won't rain later. Forecast seems okay though.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at the BBC weather report, seems like the game will be interrupted at various points, but we should get 35-40 overs in each at least (correct?). I don't see why SL would want to bat first, I would argue their best chance of winning still lies in getting some early swing or whatever then spinning Australia out for a crappy total then resisting the early bowlers before finishing off the poultry total.
Yeah they shouldn't count their chickens just yet.

uvelocity

International Coach