• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay, just calculated if SL make 250 for Australia to overtake NZ's NRR of +0.777, they'll need to get them off in 29 overs (to finish with a NRR of +0.78). 29.1 overs would see them shy of NZ at +0.772

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Starc dropped on the back of two poor performances, when he took 4/29 in the first warm-up. I don't follow the logic here, especially in a must-win-and-then-some game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Starc dropped on the back of two poor performances, when he took 4/29 in the first warm-up. I don't follow the logic here, especially in a must-win-and-then-some game.
It's just straight up **** selection. Not even that debatable IMO. Would've been debatable if Australia just needed to win this game but given they basically need to bowl out the opposition for a low total then it's inexcusable to pick Doherty. Maybe they're working on the voodoo of Doherty for some reason always being good in ODIs against Sri Lanka.

Spikey

I certainly don't see the need for Doherty AND Maxwell, given any of Faulkner, MJ and Starc are capable of pinch-hitting at 7 in place of Maxwell (keeping in mind the plan is to be chasing 150 odd...) One of them should have been dropped. But Starc never should have been dropped anyway.

Zinzan

It's just straight up **** selection. Not even that debatable IMO. Would've been debatable if Australia just needed to win this game but given they basically need to bowl out the opposition for a low total then it's inexcusable to pick Doherty. Maybe they're working on the voodoo of Doherty for some reason always being good in ODIs against Sri Lanka.
Agree, I can only think the selectors may have decided economy was more important than taking wickets, which is a Richardesque-type argument at best. Starc could have been a real handful if he clicked, especially bowling first.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
So let me get this straight:

If we win with a NRR above New Zealand, we're guaranteed a semi spot.
If we just win without making the NRR, we're gone, but NZ instead of Sri Lanka goes through.
If Sri Lanka win, they're through.

AFAIK.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My hope to win and progress XI

1 WATSON
2 MAXWELL
3 HUGHES+
4 BAILEY
5 VOGES
6 MARSH
7 COULTER-NILE
8 JOHNSON
9 STARC
10 MCKAY
11 DOHERTY

Spikey

between the whole 'oh the warner thing was just a minor incident' and now bowling mitch marsh when he should probably be throwing the ball to MJ, I'm starting to have doubts over Bailey's captaincy

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haven't watched much of today's game yet, but from what I've seen of the tournament so far, surely you have to play Doherty? I mean, Maxwell bowls pies, and everything is turning. Starc comes in for someone else, or they feel that he's bowling pump at the moment.