• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

hazsa19

International Regular
It's not just this Test with Watson though. He doesn't rotate the strike anywhere near enough. Credit to the bowling obviously as I said in my following post.

I accept what you're saying about not easy working the ball into the gaps when it's seaming about, and they are probably willing to let one or two loose deliveries rather take any risks, but they just didn't quite get the balance right in that opening session for me.

When you say there was few gaps around, not sure I'd agree there as we did employ a three slip and two gully field for some time so there will have been ample space around.
:laugh: I'm inclined to agree with you tbh. Looking at the bigger picture, Watson's just not good enough to be scoring consistent big runs as an opener. I still think they both played really well this morning though.

I think Australia need to drop the Watson experiment, keep Hughes for a couple of years no matter how bad he gets, and get Katich back in. If Watson can become a quality all-rounder and improve his bowling Australia will have a very valuable player. He won't grow as an all- rounder while opening.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hughes just isn't good enough for test cricket.
Stupid comment

He obviously has the talent and just as obviously has improved his technique markedly since he first started playing

If he is mentally tough enough (and for all his critics, no-one has ever doubted that side of his game), he has the potential to have a long and successful career

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Feel sorry for Hughes but I can see him scoring runs against other opponents. Think we just have a psychological edge over him. In eight innings against us I think his HS is 35, just crazy.

Woodster

International Captain
:laugh: I'm inclined to agree with you tbh. Looking at the bigger picture, Watson's just not good enough to be scoring consistent big runs as an opener. I still think they both played really well this morning though.

I think Australia need to drop the Watson experiment, keep Hughes for a couple of years no matter how bad he gets, and get Katich back in. If Watson can become a quality all-rounder and improve his bowling Australia will have a very valuable player. He won't grow as an all- rounder while opening.
Yes I think Watson' best position will be back in the middle order long-term, but he's just been so damn consistent at the top he's becoming exceptionally hard to demote. I agree that he doesn't score those big runs that is essential from an opening batsman to give his side a real platform, and that's generally because he does become pretty loose when he's set. The fact he continues getting past the new ball period suggests he has a very sound technique against the new ball, how will he adapt starting against spin for example.

Mister Wright

Watson should be the three when Ponting goes. He batted really well there for QLD before he left for N.S.W. Hughes definitely should not stay. He's not good enough.

stephen

Watson should be the three when Ponting goes. He batted really well there for QLD before he left for N.S.W. Hughes definitely should not stay. He's not good enough.
Who would you have opening after Ponting goes? Given that Katich is his age (and will likely retire earlier)?

I don't disagree that Watto would probably make a better #3 than opener, but Hughes is the future when it comes to opening for Australia. We need to cut him some slack, Hayden was 30 before he got a decent run in the side. Hughes is 21.

hazsa19

International Regular
I think Hughe's is good enough. He's certainly got the talent, and he's beginning to show the application.

He has been Australia's golden child, their future leftie who would smash the poms all over the place. He's got to be given a couple of years to open with another proper Australian opener. Keep Ponting at 3, perhaps take the captaincy off him. Replace Smith with Khawaja at 6, Watson at 7, and give him more responsibility with the ball.

As Woodster has said, hes done a good job of seeing off the new ball, but he hasn't rotated the strike and maybe it's put pressure on himself and his partner.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Handy start for Khawaja, guess TumTum was right about bowling short to him, he got in a fantastic position to play that short delivery. Very well played.