• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Usman's Khawaja's brother looks more Pakistani than Usman, I'll give Thierry Henry that.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
It has been a sensible and disciplined effort from the Aussie openers in this morning session, just doesn't look right with Watson being ultra-cautious. For me there is a balance to be made between careful and correctly cautious and going too much the other way and losing some intent. Now people may say crickey these Aussies can't win they gift their wickets in Melbourne and get slammed, then play with more caution at Sydney and they still get criticised (only by me though!). I am not being too critical, I'm not suggesting Watson continues driving at everything in his half, but shows intent even by way of rotating the strike and running positively.

It has been difficult with the ball seaming around, so you'd think get yourself down the other end and just keep the board ticking. Almost came to a standstill coming up to lunch. They played much more sensibly especially early, but neglected the importance of roatating the strike and showing controlled intent, imo.

Am I being unfair ?
Ask yourself if you would have written differently if Hughes was not dismissed? As an Aussie supporter I think they showed a lot more common sense and respect for the bowlers, but yes they did not rotate the strike enough:)

Jacknife

International Captain
It has been a sensible and disciplined effort from the Aussie openers in this morning session, just doesn't look right with Watson being ultra-cautious. For me there is a balance to be made between careful and correctly cautious and going too much the other way and losing some intent. Now people may say crickey these Aussies can't win they gift their wickets in Melbourne and get slammed, then play with more caution at Sydney and they still get criticised (only by me though!). I am not being too critical, I'm not suggesting Watson continues driving at everything in his half, but shows intent even by way of rotating the strike and running positively.

It has been difficult with the ball seaming around, so you'd think get yourself down the other end and just keep the board ticking. Almost came to a standstill coming up to lunch. They played much more sensibly especially early, but neglected the importance of roatating the strike and showing controlled intent, imo.

Am I being unfair ?
No, they batted really patiently, but you have to get the right balance between the 2, otherwise you create too much pressure for yourself especially when your facing every delivery in a over.

Woodster

International Captain
The beauty of keeping it economical, we've not had the best of mornings in terms of numbers in the wickets column, but because the Aussies haven't scored at 4 runs per over, with that wicket we're in a decent position. It could've been 120-1 and still clearly Aussies session. Good disciplined effort from the bowlers too.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Horrible, horrible shot from Hughes - short, nothing ball that he had no business playing at

Shame as he looks to have made big improvements in his game and a score would've done his confidence the world of good and batting is only going to get easier after lunch

Woodster

International Captain
Ask yourself if you would have written differently if Hughes was not dismissed? As an Aussie supporter I think they showed a lot more common sense and respect for the bowlers, but yes they did not rotate the strike enough:)
I was typing that out before Hughes was dismissed, it wasn't a knee-jerk reaction to Hughes nicking off. They certainly batted better than they did in Melbourne just got a little stuck for me this morning, and if Watson goes on to build a massive innings then fair play, but at this rate he'll need the first three days to get there!

hazsa19

International Regular

Am I being unfair ?
I think you are being unfair. You hit the nail on the spot in the section i've highlighted. You've got to credit the bowling, they kept it really tight like they have all winter.

Add to that Watson't run-outs. He'll be on Australia's most wanted if he runs out Hughes again. And it's not easy to move seaming the ball into gaps for singles; there is a bit of a ring field because of Strauss' tactics. They would be slammed if they were trying to guide the ball with wristy shots and getting a leading edge.

Woodster

International Captain
I think you are being unfair. You hit the nail on the spot in the section i've highlighted. You've got to credit the bowling, they kept it really tight like they have all winter.

Add to that Watson't run-outs. He'll be on Australia's most wanted if he runs out Hughes again. And it's not easy to move seaming the ball into gaps for singles; there is a bit of a ring field because of Strauss' tactics. They would be slammed if they were trying to guide the ball with wristy shots and getting a leading edge.
It's not just this Test with Watson though. He doesn't rotate the strike anywhere near enough. Credit to the bowling obviously as I said in my following post.

I accept what you're saying about not easy working the ball into the gaps when it's seaming about, and they are probably willing to let one or two loose deliveries rather take any risks, but they just didn't quite get the balance right in that opening session for me.

When you say there was few gaps around, not sure I'd agree there as we did employ a three slip and two gully field for some time so there will have been ample space around.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richie talking about Tyson should be good at lunch.

Tyson, if course, having had the good sense to move to God's country.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't believe Hughes threw away his wicket like that. Huge concentration fail. What a waste.

Woodster

International Captain
Anyone watching the Strauss interview on Sky Sports now ? That's a horrible hairy growth/mole he's got on his neck.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Typhoon... "Fast bowling is a glad animal feeling..." "If anyone asked me how was I was, I used to say 'Ask the batsman'".

That was fantastic stuff. Really enjoyed that.

I mean, it's no Test Match Sofa, but still...

Last edited: