• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Himannv

International Coach
I'm fairly sure Leeds would have stayed up under Marsch though. They were only in 17th when he was sacked and their performances up to that point were much better than their results. They got two new manager dips and by the end of the season were a complete shambles.
I feel like he didn't do enough to fix the defense, which was a problem even last season. Bamford and Adams both needed cover and he didn't address that either or perhaps wasn't backed enough in the market, idk. Some of the defending has been terrible this season and when they concede, they let in 3 or 4 for the game. They also lost some attacking threat when they lost Raphina and while Gnonto has played well, he hasn't been as much of a goal threat.

Even in games where they're attacking well (vs Spurs for example), they take the lead and then can't hold on to it. Teams they were competing with like Forest etc. were better than them and at least didn't crumble under pressure and ship 4 goals. I reckon they were going down anyway and needed a miracle to stay up.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha I mean you can’t be stubborn about it, he’s done well. I just hope there’s no revisionism about his time at Arsenal because he was unfathomably bad there.
The playing group didn't respect him at Arsenal and Raul didn't bring in the players he wanted (buying Pepe when Emery wanted Wilf the most glaring example).

I agree that his tenure was an utter ****show but he is an accomplished manager who got no buy in whatsoever in what he wanted to implement.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha I mean you can’t be stubborn about it, he’s done well. I just hope there’s no revisionism about his time at Arsenal because he was unfathomably bad there.
Haha yeah no complaints from me. Agree with duffer's post too though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The playing group didn't respect him at Arsenal and Raul didn't bring in the players he wanted (buying Pepe when Emery wanted Wilf the most glaring example).

I agree that his tenure was an utter ****show but he is an accomplished manager who got no buy in whatsoever in what he wanted to implement.
Yeah it’s true that the club was badly run and the squad was poorly constructed. But even just his tactics were so consistently awful. Remember when he played a diamond against Liverpool’s full back assist machine?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Leicester improved under Smith, but that largely meant a lot of draws whereas before him it was a lot of defeats. I’d say they arguably moved too late. Hard to argue with your point though. And I’m not really sure Everton were much better under Dyche than Lampard.

I know Furball mentioned Bournemouth but Villa and Palace are surely the better counter examples.
I actually forgot about Palace and Villa entirely because Hodgson and Emery have done such fantastic jobs that the idea either club was a relegation candidate seems ridiculous looking at the table in May.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
VAR not giving a clear pen to Barnsley and then upholding a stiff red minutes later. I wouldn’t give a **** but I love James Norwood that much. Still, he has receipts for this Wembley scenario so

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t think I’d give that red but it’s one where the tackling technique is so atrocious that I have zero sympathy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don’t think I’d give that red but it’s one where the tackling technique is so atrocious that I have zero sympathy.
I think that’s a fair way to put it.

Can’t understand why he wasn’t called over to look at the pen incident though.

grecian

Josh Windass is yer typical chippy Tyke isn't he?

Still glad for Darren Moore, Cam Dawson, and good to see Norwood gutted OBVS.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Josh Windass is yer typical chippy Tyke isn't he?

Still glad for Darren Moore, Cam Dawson, and good to see Norwood gutted OBVS.
Just said to my mates that Josh Windass is a dickhead just like his dad

Gutted for Nors, he was class second half but the ten men really showed in extra time

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Definitely has the look of a bloke who does his own plumbing, but doesn't seem to have quite as affectionate a relationship with the pies as his old man though.

grecian

It's always the same with Jose though, I mean great entertainmentin pressers calling out Levy, very funny, and then you go well he is good value, then you watch the matches which are attritional low-block bore-fests (even though Seville played their part in this one), in the actual thing that we are meant to be entertained in, on the pitch, it's hideous.

So glad he lost. No Champions League, no trophy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's always the same with Jose though, I mean great entertainmentin pressers calling out Levy, very funny, and then you go well he is good value, then you watch the matches which are attritional low-block bore-fests (even though Seville played their part in this one), in the actual thing that we are meant to be entertained in, on the pitch, it's hideous.

So glad he lost. No Champions League, no trophy.
In fairness he does have the Conference League from last season.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BFS leaves the dirties after 4 games and 30 days in charge. A shorter reign than even Cloughie managed at Elland Road.

Probably the only aspect of Allardyce's managerial career that stands comparison to the great man, tbf.