• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Warming up for the Final tonight by watching the documentary When English Football Ruled Europe - set in 1977-84 when we won the European Cup every year except 83.
The funny thing is I, and my school/workmates at the time, always wanted the English clubs to win and I just assumed that most people were the same. Being a lower league supporter there was no direct rivalry so I just wanted our clubs to win and still do. I’m sure most Manure fans at the time didn’t want Liverpool to win with a passion, but it was a very insular world at the time in comparison to today so you just weren’t aware.
I’m rooting for the Puddle tonight as I did back then. (Insert misty eyed nostalgia emoji).
I don't know that Liverpool & Man Utd's mutual loathing was much of a thing in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Not amongst my mates, anyway. I suppose Everton fans would have felt differently, but I didn't know any. Like you, I happily rooted for the English clubs, and I still do actually. But I don't even get the Palace/Brighton antipathy, so I may not be typical.

As for last night, I managed to miss the first half but thought Madrid were the better side in the second half. They certainly kept the ball better and defended absolutely brilliantly. Courtois' save from Salah was great but beyond that I didn't think he had to do anything exceptional. And, as others have said, nil goals from three finals may tell us something about Liverpool. I'd suggest that's more down to a lack of creativity in centre midfield than the quality of their forwards now that Firmino isn't a regular starter.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting that the greatest right back in the history of football was at fault for the goal by not picking up his man last night. He can't defend and that is why he won't be in the England side in a tournament.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think this season finally ends on June 5th with the Conference Play Off Final and you could maybe include the Ukraine v Wales play off on the same date. Then next season’s fixtures are released on June 16th.
It was interesting yesterday (admittedly not very interesting but that’s the best phraseology our great language allows for :tooth: ) that the Port Vale players all put on “We are going up” T-Shirts after the play off final. I remember when Roger Federer won his 17th Grand Slam and produced a shirt to mark the occasion he was accused of supreme arrogance for having that ready assuming he was going to win.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Liverpool fans, UEFA, and the French police are all entities that never accept responsibility for anything.

But in real news Home Park are replacing all seats, relaying the pitch and nearly 7,000 season tickets sold.

Park.jpg

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sounds like the biggest shambles of a UEFA final since May 18th.

It's kind of hilarious that Aberdeen were the last team to beat Real Madrid in a European final.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There’s drastic, and not entirely logical, changes coming to the CL in a couple of years.
And Solihull Moors are one match from the EFL. It’ll be interesting (that word again) to see how many fans they take to West Ham for the final as they don’t appear to have any.

Niall

International Coach
Mane leaving Pool is interesting to say the least.

Liverpool under Klopp have nailed so many signings its been remarkable , obviously helps that Klopp is a gun manager but even still this is a huge loss.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There’s drastic, and not entirely logical, changes coming to the CL in a couple of years.
And Solihull Moors are one match from the EFL. It’ll be interesting (that word again) to see how many fans they take to West Ham for the final as they don’t appear to have any.
I went there a couple of years back, was a terrible game but quite enjoyed the ground. It felt so far from League Two though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I watched the whites win there in 17-18. A bit of work needed to get to EFL standard I would suggest

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What’s the point of VAR if Huddersfield aren’t getting a penalty there?
What's the point of Jon Moss, why give a ref that hasn't been fit enough for about 5 years, such an important match as his finale, was never going to give a decision, and stockley Park was never going to overrule him.