• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think I'd rather earn promotion the proper way, obviously easy to say. The last two years, they've been some of the best moments of my life. Not just the winning, but then all the celebrations afterwards. Telling James Norwood of my undying love for him after a day sinking Gamma Ray in the fan tent the day after Wembley.

Can't imagine being promoted via yellow bar breaking news and celebrating it by maybe having a zoom linkup with a few mates. ****e.
Yeah I am with this on Brentford to be honest although I do really worry about how the future of transfers will effect us. If we were 7 points clear at the top though I would feel pretty pissed off.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t think any of these analogies really work.

Anything other than finishing the season is just bull****. If they decide they have to do something other than that for legal or financial reasons then so be it. No need to pretend the level of sporting integrity would be anything other than zero though.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I know what you mean but there are teams out there this season that quite clearly deserve to be relegated and others that quite clearly deserve to be promoted
That's based on nothing really. Look at Leicester the year before the title. They were bang on to be relegated. Uppercut is right (shudder).

Pothas

You seen the league one table?

I agree with Uppercut though, my point has just been that it is just as unfair to the teams not getting promoted as it is the teams getting relegated.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's based on nothing really. Look at Leicester the year before the title. They were bang on to be relegated. Uppercut is right (shudder).
This is the point Palios has made to the EFL statistically. Not Leicester but take any table after 34 games and see how often all of the teams in the drop zone go down.

Matteh

England v Scotland on at the moment.

Distinctly remember being in my grandad's study playing something on the PC and then running into the living room to see the replay of the greatest goal ever scored, or something like that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ah **** me, remember being mad at my mum because she was convinced McAllister would miss his penalty then just a feeling of rank confusion watching Gazza score.

grecian

any decision that means Cornish slime get promoted is a wrong decision in my opinion, this is my only view on division 4.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So apparently the EFL will be pursuing to end the season, stack based on PPG...and then play the play-offs

well this smells

flibbertyjibber

All seems very strange but at least my lot don't have to return any time soon for a pointless exercise. Feel for clubs getting stuffed by the rules but not for Bolton or Southend as they deserve their relegations.

grecian

So apparently the EFL will be pursuing to end the season, stack based on PPG...and then play the play-offs

well this smells
I think it's okay, particularly as we're in the play-offs, and we will get relegation.

I do wonder how long this goes on for, whether we will get more Bury's, and this will be a moot question.

I always thought there was a certain hysteria when people said that there will be a domino effect of teams going out of business anytime in the lower leagues, generally by people that don't follow the lower leagues. I didn't really figure in a World-wide pandemic though. They needed a way to let teams end contracts and not employ until they start again, tough on the players who don't have contracts which will be most.

Uppercut

They needed a way to let teams end contracts and not employ until they start again, tough on the players who don't have contracts which will be most.
Haha I don't even think the libertarians would approve of companies treating their workers that badly.

grecian

Haha I don't even think the libertarians would approve of companies treating their workers that badly.
I know, but in the end, it's that or clubs going out of business en masse, income is totally dependent on gate receipts down in the nether regions, which ain't really going to help players. As someone that has gone through the thought of my club going instinct on many occasions, and after finally thinking, for the first time in my lifetime we were on a decent financial footing, I am being utterly selfish in this regard.

Yeah, I will cop it though #worsethanPEWS.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think it's okay, particularly as we're in the play-offs, and we will get relegation.

I do wonder how long this goes on for, whether we will get more Bury's, and this will be a moot question.

I always thought there was a certain hysteria when people said that there will be a domino effect of teams going out of business anytime in the lower leagues, generally by people that don't follow the lower leagues. I didn't really figure in a World-wide pandemic though. They needed a way to let teams end contracts and not employ until they start again, tough on the players who don't have contracts which will be most.
Personally, the only thing giving me hope, is that I can't see L2 actually playing the play-offs. Apparently the cost just to play the games are stupidly high. Not even sure the financial benefits of L1 - especially with the likelihood of behind closed doors next season - would outweigh it. Never mind if you lose.

But for me you either carry on or you don't. Having play-offs is an absurd idea if you play nothing else.

See what happens I guess.

grecian

Personally, the only thing giving me hope, is that I can't see L2 actually playing the play-offs. Apparently the cost just to play the games are stupidly high. Not even sure the financial benefits of L1 - especially with the likelihood of behind closed doors next season - would outweigh it. Never mind if you lose.

But for me you either carry on or you don't. Having play-offs is an absurd idea if you play nothing else.

See what happens I guess.
Well again, selfishly, I just want to watch meaningful football, Sky will probably pay a bit more to get owt on. It would be a big difference for us probably, simply because how northern div 4 is looking, and how southern div 3, but hey without crowds wtf does it matter?

If the people that say no crowds until October, at least are right, and with it costing so much, again I think we have more things to worry about, football-wise than an unjust way to finish a season. Brutal times ahead.

Last edited:

Pothas

Yeah I have pretty much entirely focused on what happens with this season rather than the hugely more important question of what happens after. Would be very happy if we have crowds by October, would be expecting it to be even longer than that?

flibbertyjibber

Yeah I have pretty much entirely focused on what happens with this season rather than the hugely more important question of what happens after. Would be very happy if we have crowds by October, would be expecting it to be even longer than that?
As a huge racing fan I have decided in my own head I won't be going to the Cheltenham festival next March so I can't see fans being allowed in next season. What that will mean for clubs not getting the Sky money is a huge concern.

cpr

International Coach
I know, but in the end, it's that or clubs going out of business en masse, income is totally dependent on gate receipts down in the nether regions, which ain't really going to help players. As someone that has gone through the thought of my club going instinct on many occasions, and after finally thinking, for the first time in my lifetime we were on a decent financial footing, I am being utterly selfish in this regard.

Yeah, I will cop it though #worsethanPEWS.

I don't buy that. I'm sure players would prefer to be furloughed at a fraction of their wage (so the max £2,500 per month) than be getting 0. The impact is the same on the clubs finances