• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Depends how they went about screening them I guess, but yeah. L2 it's a non starter. There are enough clubs in L1 with money to burn that it's reached somewhat of an impasse.

I don't want to say anything that would get anyone in trouble at my end but I am aware of the case Palios has submitted to the EFL on our behalf. I don't know how the law interacts with these situations but suspect that we would as a minimum be nailed on for significant damages if we found ourselves relegated without another ball kicked.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is just no satisfactory solution. Not allowing a side to be promoted is just as unfair as relegating a side that has not been able to play all their games.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There is just no satisfactory solution. Not allowing a side to be promoted is just as unfair as relegating a side that has not been able to play all their games.
Is it though? I'm not actually sure that it is.

The former is a case of denying someone something they would otherwise have been entitled to, but the latter is actively punishing/taking away something from someone for something they've not done, so to speak. In other words the former is denying a positive/gain, whereas the latter is actually imposing a substantive detriment/loss.

Kind of like the difference between going to buy a house and being told "no sorry, it's no longer available", and going to buy a house and being told "sorry, not only is this house no longer available, but you're also going to be evicted from your own house".

Neither are fair, certainly, but I find the latter much more difficult to stomach.

Last edited:

Pothas

From an abstract point of view possibly but there is no way that Southend staying up is fairer than Coventry not being promoted.

Pothas

I can live with Brentford not having the chance to get promoted, playoffs were very likely but automatic promotion was extremely unlikely. I just don't think you can pretend that the majority of the season did not take place when it quite clearly has.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah quite possibly.

I don't think it's necessarily all that abstract when you consider the financial implications inherent in some of the possible permutations though.

I mean, I imagine the direct financial losses a team would experience from being relegated from the Premiership could be fair more damaging to a club than would be a loss of possible gains experienced by a club that missed out on promotion (i.e. because the latter has not actually lost anything, per se).

That said, I don't actually know if that is true. Don't know how these things work in enough depth. But it is what I was thinking of when I sketched the house analogy above.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I can live with Brentford not having the chance to get promoted, playoffs were very likely but automatic promotion was extremely unlikely. I just don't think you can pretend that the majority of the season did not take place when it quite clearly has.
Yeah, this is true, but to me this is a bit like receiving a meal in a restaurant that is partially cooked.

Pothas

Yeah quite possibly.

I don't think it's necessarily all that abstract when you consider the financial implications inherent in some of the possible permutations though.

I mean, I imagine the direct financial losses a team would experience from being relegated from the Premiership could be fair more damaging to a club than would be a loss of possible gains experienced by a club that missed out on promotion (i.e. because the latter has not actually lost anything, per se).

That said, I don't actually know if that is true. Don't know how these things work in enough depth. But it is what I was thinking of when I sketched the house analogy above.
Effects of not being promoted are pretty huge as well. I mean you could argue that teams that the teams at the top of the Championship should be financially prepared to not to go up but the teams at bottom of the Premier League should also be prepared for relegation. It is not like they are going to be taking teams that comfortable in mid-table, relegation was a very real prospect for all of them. It does not make it fair but again not relegating Norwich and telling Leeds and West Brom that they have to stay in the Championship seems to just as bad to me.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I think this guy is against playoffs.
I'm only against playoffs for this current season due to the virus.

I don't think you can call off the league 2 season, and then say we will still have playoffs though. Why not also have relegation playoffs as well, for the Championship, League 1 & league 2.
Give the Barnsley's, Luton, Charlton, Tranmere, Wimbledon, Macclesfield & Stevenage as much chance for survival as the playoff teams for promotion, who will be getting a second bite of the cherry, which I don't think is deserved in this instance.
There is a reason why these teams are in the playoff zone, it's because they haven't been as good as the teams in the automatic spots.

Whatever happens, I glad it's not my decision.

Pothas

Yeah, this is true, but to me this is a bit like receiving a meal in a restaurant that is partially cooked.
What was played was real though. It is more like having two courses and then being told you have to leave, extremely unsatisfactory for sure but you can judge what was had.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Effects of not being promoted are pretty huge as well. I mean you could argue that teams that the teams at the top of the Championship should be financially prepared to not to go up but the teams at bottom of the Premier League should also be prepared for relegation. It is not like they are going to be taking teams that comfortable in mid-table, relegation was a very real prospect for all of them. It does not make it fair but again not relegating Norwich and telling Leeds and West Brom that they have to stay in the Championship seems to just as bad to me.
Yeah, fair enough. I think it's probably just a matter of opinion. I think for me it's just that as a matter of principle I instinctively feel that failing to gain something is almost always less bad than actively losing something. Though I'm not entirely sure why that is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What was played was real though. It is more like having two courses and then being told you have to leave, extremely unsatisfactory for sure but you can judge what was had.
Haha yes, this is true actually. But what if you'd just had a series of small starters and/or tapas etc. and the main course was the thing that was still to come...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For me it's like losing your job versus a job you'd had the first interview for being pulled.

Pothas

I know what you mean but there are teams out there this season that quite clearly deserve to be relegated and others that quite clearly deserve to be promoted. Of course there are also loads of cases of it not being clear which is why there really is no satisfactory solution.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I know what you mean but there are teams out there this season that quite clearly deserve to be relegated and others that quite clearly deserve to be promoted. Of course there are also loads of cases of it not being clear which is why there really is no satisfactory solution.
Yeah this is the problem for me I think. There isn't any real way this nuance could be appreciated in any solution without going down a "one rule for some, and another for everyone else" route, and that in itself sounds very dodgy to me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We've played Coventry, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth twice. Rochdale, Wimbledon, MK, Lincoln once. We have a track record under this owner and in particular this manager of finishing seasons strongly and we'd just invested pretty heavily into our squad. No way can you fairly judge that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think I'd rather earn promotion the proper way, obviously easy to say. The last two years, they've been some of the best moments of my life. Not just the winning, but then all the celebrations afterwards. Telling James Norwood of my undying love for him after a day sinking Gamma Ray in the fan tent the day after Wembley.

Can't imagine being promoted via yellow bar breaking news and celebrating it by maybe having a zoom linkup with a few mates. ****e.

Pothas

We've played Coventry, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth twice. Rochdale, Wimbledon, MK, Lincoln once. We have a track record under this owner and in particular this manager of finishing seasons strongly and we'd just invested pretty heavily into our squad. No way can you fairly judge that.
Yeah I agree with that. I just don't think that you can ignore what has already taken place. Leeds, West Brom, Coventry etc not being promoted would be just as unfair as Tranmere being relegated. The chances of you lot being relegated were a lot higher than Coventry not being promoted.