• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You can't take the positions as they are. Yes I'm biased but we just lost a stack of games to the top sides and now we have easier fixtures are winning again. I've no idea really because I'm also not in favour of scrapping it
Yeah, with the exception of possibly awarding Liverpool the title I think this would literally be the worst option. It would be a really egregious breach of all the imaginable strands of natural justice, and just so obviously be procedurally unfair on so many levels.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, with the exception of possibly awarding Liverpool the title I think this would literally be the worst option. It would be a really egregious breach of all the imaginable strands of natural justice, and just so obviously be procedurally unfair on so many levels.
let's do it

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Would it really be worse to say 3/4s of a season counts as a full season than saying it counts as nothing? It would absolutely be unfair to relegate/promote teams when teams haven't played the schedule, but any more unfair than saying next season starts with Leicester not in Europe, Leeds in the Championship, Norwich in the Prem etc?

Personally I think it's too early to really be thinking about what to do because we have no idea how long there'll be no football for. But my order of preference would be: complete full schedule somehow > find another way to complete season in a quicker time that's reasonably fair (playoffs?) > count what has been played so far as a full season > completely forget what has been played and pretend 18/19 was the last season.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would it really be worse to say 3/4s of a season counts as a full season than saying it counts as nothing? It would absolutely be unfair to relegate/promote teams when teams haven't played the schedule, but any more unfair than saying next season starts with Leicester not in Europe, Leeds in the Championship, Norwich in the Prem etc?

Personally I think it's too early to really be thinking about what to do because we have no idea how long there'll be no football for. But my order of preference would be: complete full schedule somehow > find another way to complete season in a quicker time that's reasonably fair (playoffs?) > count what has been played so far as a full season > completely forget what has been played and pretend 18/19 was the last season.
The temporary expansion suggested by the Bundesliga is a good option, no?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah I like it. I guess I'd put that third in my pecking order. I've seen an elongated qualifying campaign for CL/EL spots suggested as part of this.

ripper868

International Coach
Have the online 'teams' of each club play each other in full length online matches.

Catch is they are all blindfolded for parts of the match and have only the real life manager on a microphone directing them what to do.

SeamUp

International Coach
This article doesn't really tell us anything, not even the legal basis for any possible challenge.
The Times article has a paywall. It is all in there.

There are just too many challenges making the season null and void. Not only the Championship top 6 but clubs like Liverpool and those qualifying for Europe like Sheff Utd.

I would imagine matches will have to be played behind closed doors initially if push came to shove.

I think Uefa have now announced seasons have to be finished by 30 June.

UEFA have told their 55 member nations that they are hoping to complete all club fixtures left to play in the 2019-20 season before June 30, after confirming the postponement of the European Championships.

This will of course depend on whether or not the current situation and the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) improves and resuming playing be "appropriate and prudent enough".

On club competitions, UEFA have said the following:

A commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough.

Possible limitations or drops of current exclusive calendar slots, potentially resulting in the scheduling of domestic league matches in mid-week and scheduling of UEFA club competitions matches on weekends.

Possible adaptations of the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League qualifying rounds in case of late completion of the 2019/20 sporting season, i.e. after 30 June 2020.
More here from the BBC : https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51934215

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
VAR would've had that goal alright.

Got a standing ovation at OT after tearing us a new one for Madrid, awesome player

Furball

Evil Scotsman
VAR would've had that goal alright.

Got a standing ovation at OT after tearing us a new one for Madrid, awesome player
Haha yeah I thought that watching the replay that I didn't realise how offside it was.

Not that I care, it's still one of my all time favourite goals for the way he sits the goalkeeper down.

I've always said injuries robbed him of the title of best player of all time. If he'd been born 10 years later I reckon he'd be matching Messi and inferior Ronaldo for goalscoring.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I love how in that vid you can see from the body language of the Lazio defenders that they absolutely crap themselves when he gets the ball and starts running. And then you realise that this isn't a defence of total schlubs, but one with Alessandro Nesta at its core haha.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I love how in that vid you can see from the body language of the Lazio defenders that they absolutely crap themselves when he gets the ball and starts running. And then you realise that this isn't a defence of total schlubs, but one with Alessandro Nesta at its core haha.
Haha Nesta looks like a total hack throughout the highlights.

Almeyida getting sent off for just getting fed up and booting him is hilarious as well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha Nesta looks like a total hack throughout the highlights.

Almeyida getting sent off for just getting fed up and booting him is hilarious as well.
It's funny how for most of the past ten years it felt like defenders were getting worse at defending, but when you watch football from pre-2010 the defending looks terrible. Defensive positioning on crosses especially is miles ahead of where it was. I was watching a video of Beckham assists and for most of them the defenders are more or less randomly spaced around the penalty box.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, though it is not without exception, I think the standard of defending now is generally much higher than it was in those days. Back then the best defenders were often still the kicky rough hard-men types rather than the ones we get now who can actually play football.