• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Another suspension.

Just postponing the inevitable now it feels, though the noises are they are committed to finishing the season??

SeamUp

International Coach
Another suspension.

Just postponing the inevitable now it feels, though the noises are they are committed to finishing the season??
Earliest being 30 April now. And Uefa want an end by 30 June.

So in 2 months.

It means Chelsea (even if unlikely) and Man City will have potentially 6 Champions League games and 9 league games left to play :laugh:

Championship play-off finalists would have 12 games

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Newest rumour is they will delay the start of next season until the current one is completed on the pitch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
One creative solution, depending on how this all plays out might be to realign the calendar to help fit in with the 2022 World Cup.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Newest rumour is they will delay the start of next season until the current one is completed on the pitch.
Worst case scenario I can see them abandoning next season and just trying to finish this one at some point before Euro 2021. It seems likely that if the virus isn't a problem over the summer it will have a resurgence in the autumn/winter. So planning another full season is risky anyway. Finishing this one will be a priority cause of the risk of legal issues if they deny sides titles/promotion/European football or relegate sides without completing the schedule.

Of course what you do with contracts expiring this summer and already agreed transfers (like Ziyech) I've no idea. But I guess in theory FIFA/UEFA/the FA could enforce mandatory automatic 1 year contract renewals.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Worst case scenario I can see them abandoning next season and just trying to finish this one at some point before Euro 2021. It seems likely that if the virus isn't a problem over the summer it will have a resurgence in the autumn/winter. So planning another full season is risky anyway. Finishing this one will be a priority cause of the risk of legal issues if they deny sides titles/promotion/European football or relegate sides without completing the schedule.

Of course what you do with contracts expiring this summer and already agreed transfers (like Ziyech) I've no idea. But I guess in theory FIFA/UEFA/the FA could enforce mandatory automatic 1 year contract renewals.
I don't think it's within the jurisdiction of those organisations to do that tbh. Sounds pretty illegal.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Probably a violation of all sorts of international trade/human rights laws as well, including EU rules on free movement.

cpr

International Coach
i think everyone would just prefer another 1 month registration window similar to January tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Out of interest, which of the options discussed do you think is least of a legal minefield?
Finishing current season somehow would be legally the least problematic by a long stretch. Following that, voiding the entire season. After this, declaring the season ends with everything as it is at the moment. This final option would almost certainly lead to huge litigation.

The player contracts issue is an interesting one though. As legally they will absolutely be entitled to walk once their deals are up. There is not, so far as I can see, any way that FIFA/UEFA/the FA or Premier League etc. can make a unilateral decree saying that all contracts will be extended without the consent of the players (unless there is a uniform term in all player contracts that explicitly allows for this), because the whole point of contract law everywhere is literally to stop this sort of thing from happening (to say nothing of all the other non-contract areas of law this would trigger).

cpr

International Coach
What about player registration rules? A player can walk away from a contract on June 30th, but if new clubs can't register new players until another date (ie they move the summer window to match the new pre-season) then players haven't really got anywhere to go to on July 1st (sure they could sign a contract with another club, but wouldn't be playable, so why would a new club start the contract on that date).

Could see that leading to a number of players agreeing 1 or 3 month extensions to finish a season, and clubs offering them purely because they can't replace the player (though there will be plenty of surplus players who rarely play anyway who won't get an extension)